Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Amtrak and handguns

I'm going to be going from Philadelphia to the Amtrak station in Raliegh NC, and as we all know Amtrak does allow guns on trains now, but of course, not without some hoops.

Now the thing I'm looking at in specific is this whole "locked case" thing. For a handgun, would it's original hard case (Glock factory case) with a lock on it work, or are they going to deny it?

I don't see why we can't just carry if we have a carry permit, but you know how people are these days, scared of guns.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Amtrak and handguns

I am pretty sure it is in checked luggage only. You have to leave and arrive at a station that will accept checked luggage (both loading and unloading).

http://www.amtrak.com/firearms-in-checked-baggage

Philly and Raleigh both accept checked luggage.
    Everyone has the right to be an asshole....unfortunately some people abuse that right.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ezrarobles View Post
    I don't see why we can't just carry if we have a carry permit, but you know how people are these days, scared of guns.
    Last time I checked there are no metal detectors or pat downs...

Just a bunch of smelly railroad cars.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by thorazine View Post
    Last time I checked there are no metal detectors or pat downs...

Just a bunch of smelly railroad cars.

Yeah, but I'd rather not play with laws

(Montgomery County)

So this whole Amtrak thing really irks me...I'm getting my LTCF soon and I travel on SEPTA every day for work but go to 30th street station in philly which is amtrak owned...how can they deny firearm carry? they cant be a private businnes if they are subsidized by my hard earned tax dollars...or can they? that makes no sense to me...if they get get funding from state and federal governments how can they make their own rules as a 'private' business?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by football061 View Post
    So this whole Amtrak thing really irks me...I'm getting my LTCF soon and I travel on SEPTA every day for work but go to 30th street station in philly which is amtrak owned...how can they deny firearm carry? they cant be a private businnes if they are subsidized by my hard earned tax dollars...or can they? that makes no sense to me...if they get get funding from state and federal governments how can they make their own rules as a 'private' business?
    Amtrak isnt a private business. It is a hybrid corporation. Federal laws and regulations determine the legalities of Amtrak. Amtrak systems and rails are under the jurisdiction of Washington DC.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Amtrak isnt a private business. It is a hybrid corporation. Federal laws and regulations determine the legalities of Amtrak. Amtrak systems and rails are under the jurisdiction of Washington DC.
    So basically, if I take SEPTA into 30th street station which is owned by Amtrak, I cant legally carry through the station? I never get on Amtrak trains but I go through the station almost every day.

I can no longer take the Amtrak to Philly to catch a plane to TN or TX as I used to do - unless I want to leave my gun at home. Lancaster doesn't take checked luggage.

It's ridiculous, really. Pretty soon it will be local public transportation as well... I think the plan is to inconvenience and chip away at our rights at the same time. But, we can still carry water, so it's fine.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by football061 View Post
    So basically, if I take SEPTA into 30th street station which is owned by Amtrak, I cant legally carry through the station? I never get on Amtrak trains but I go through the station almost every day.
    You can if you are transporting like you would at an airport. ...in checked luggage, inspected, etc. But on your person - no.

One of the bills that Obama signed changed the Amtrak firearm regulation to our benefit to allow transporting like you would at an airport. Prior to that no firearm possession was allowed on Amtrak properties. It was called the Wicker Amendment that changed this policy.

If Amtrak wasn't part of the equation than the typical laws of Pennsylvania would be the only factor.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

Just to remind everyone, last time I checked this 'Quazi-government' organization received $.75 in government subsidies for every dollar it spent. It's been a white elephant for at least 40 years now; government waste at it's finest!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast