Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Shotshell reloading

Does anyone else also reload shotshell? I am using a Lee Load All for my 12ga.
    I found it easy to use, but the recipes are confusing. It goes by the maker of the shell, what wad you are using etc... I finally got it figured it out today. Rainy day with nothing to do. I also found the bushings are just a guide. Mine called for a 134 bushing using 800x powder. I check it with my digital reloading scale and it was light, I had to go up 2 bushing sizes to 148 to get the correct drop. 20.2 grains

I am an experienced pistol and rifle re-loader, been doing those for 30+ years. Just dove into this because I was bored and got the loader from a friend who needed money for $20. Pretty cool how it works though. I only did 25 rounds to take and test this weekend.

For those more experienced, how is the 800x powder. I don't know anyone who shotshell reloads, so I picked this up after doing some research. I am also using figure 8 wads, #7 shot, 2 3/4 shells. Does this sound good to those who reload?
    Thanks

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Shotshell reloading

I just finished loading my 15 gazillionth box of 12 gauge (well, at least A LOT) shells this afternoon. I've been reloading shotshells since 1970, starting with a Lyman Easy, and now using a MEC Sizemaster since 1979. I'm in no hurry, single-stage loading is fine by me.
    The important thing to remember with loading shotshells is to stick with the components that are listed in the published load data. A change in one component - wad, primer - can shoot pressures up to dangerous levels. I suggest you get a copy of Lyman's Shotshell loader guide #5 and read all the info therein.
    Loader bushings are, as you mentioned, just guides to get you close to the desired drop weight, and are almost always on the light side of what you really want.
    I use Red Dot and Unique powders almost exclusively in my 12 gauge loads, mostly because that's what's sold around here in northeastern PA, but if I need, say, 18 grains of Red Dot and MEC says a number 31 bushing will drop that, I'll find that a number 33 (higher number, bigger hole) will get me closer.
    Also, try to avoid the metallic cartridge reloading mindset with regards to powder charge. A .2 grain difference between drops is no big deal.
    One more thing - When I stated it's not a good idea to substitute components, that doesn't really apply to the lower-cost clones in wads. Although my published load calls for a Winchester wad, a Claybuster or Downrange wad that is so marked and sold as a replacement for the Winchester is acceptable. Just don't try substituting a Winchester wad for the Remington figure 8s that you're using.
    Enjoy your new undertaking, PA. You'll find it's less of a hassle than metallic loading, but equally as rewarding.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeba View Post
    Enjoy your new undertaking, PA. You'll find it's less of a hassle than metallic loading, but equally as rewarding.
    Not so much! At least not yet.
    I do have the lyman book plus many others. I will just keep plugging away.

(Indiana County)

I also pretty much use Red Dot and Unique as well.

I use a MEC 9000 so I cannot offer much advice as to your technique other than as already stated about not mixing and matching components.

I haven't loaded any in quite some time, I did a huge run a few years back when I picked up 16 lbs of Royal Scot and still have about 6 50cal cans full of target loads.

(Susquehanna County)

I'm curious, about the cost savings of reloading shotgun shells. I already reload for metallic cartridges and know the significant savings associated by reloading.

I have the equipment to reload for the shotgun, but most guys I've asked say it isn't worth it anymore to save $1 per box.

If anyone has the data, can you share your price per load or price per box (25 qty)?

Thanks in advance
    Stay armed my friends.

(Luzerne County)

About 800x.....it is more commonly used - more recipes available - in 20 gauge loads. If you have found a recipe for 12 gauge and are happy with it, all is well. There are, however, many more recipes for Red Dot, 700X and other powders than for 800x.
    About pricing.....as lead becomes more expensive so, of course, does per shell cost.
    I use, now, Fiocchi primers (cause they are what I could get). They cost .03 each. 18 grains of Promo is another .03. One ounce of shot costs me .05 (I make some of the shot that I use and mix it 50/50 with commercial shot). Wads are about .03 a piece. So.....14 cents per shell. $3.50 a box of 25.
    Pete
    Last edited by Pete D.; June 16th, 2013 at 06:07 AM.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Lehigh County)

I used 800x, 1 1/8 7.5 shot with a 148 bushing, rem primers.
    I tested about 25 rounds and they all seamed to work well. When I get low on powder and I might try something different, but this load is working for me. I do have many other powders for all the other reloading, if I get time I might work up a few different loads to see what I like the best.

(Philadelphia County)

slugs usually cost more compared to buckshot. even though they use the same amount of lead, just formed differently. i personally dont think they should command those prices, thats why i reload them instead. this is factory ammo.

ive only reloaded slugs and the savings are there.

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by wrangler1120 View Post
    I'm curious, about the cost savings of reloading shotgun shells. I already reload for metallic cartridges and know the significant savings associated by reloading.

I have the equipment to reload for the shotgun, but most guys I've asked say it isn't worth it anymore to save $1 per box.

If anyone has the data, can you share your price per load or price per box (25 qty)?

Thanks in advance
    I load all four gauges for skeet with 9000G's. Currently it's less than 1 dollar a box in savings for 12 and 20's when you can buy bargain ammo with junk hulls (not great for reloading). If your talking premium hull ammo (AA, Remington), the saving is more like $2 a box. The only reason I'm still loading 12 and 20's is because i"m still using shot I paid $12 a bag for 15 years ago. With the 28 and 410 you still can save a ton, it's upwards of $4 a box in savings even with today's shot prices!

Trapshooters.com has some very handy cost calculators!
    The original point and click interface was a Colt Peacemaker!

(Chester County)

7/8 oz load 12 guage
    Price Shots $/box
    Shot $40.00 448 $2.23
    Wads $89.99 5000 $0.45
    Primers $139.95 5000 $0.70
    Powder $100.69 3027 $0.83

$4.21

Here is my latest calculations
    Hoplophobia is funny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast