Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Mifflin County)

Default $1100 fine for fake SGL range permit

Just saw this story on Shooting Wire. While I think the permits are BS and just another reason not to use a game lands range, if you are going to use them, spend the $30 and get the permit if you don't have a hunting license.

A Pittsburgh man has been fined $1,100 after he presented a wildlife conservation officer with a phony shooting-range permit he could have bought legitimately for $30.
    The rest of the story

(Bucks County)

Default Re: $1100 fine for fake SGL range permit

Just out of curiosity why do you think the permits are BS? You pay to use any other range indoor or outdoor unless you have your own property. I'm going to assume the revenue from the permits helps to pay for upkeep of the ranges, but correct me if I'm wrong. Personally, $30 for a membership to any SGL range in PA seems like a good deal, you can go as often as you want.

(Monroe County)

Fuck him. Forging something is no different than any other asshole that tries to cheat the system.

(Mifflin County)

Because I already pay taxes that go, in part, to fund those crappy ranges. We're not talking nice ranges here. The one's I've been to, before the permits, aren't much more than a gravel pit that's has a sign up calling it a range. Taxes that as a non hunter, I don't get any other direct benefit from. Why should I have to pay another fee, on top of the taxes to use the range, when someone who hunts, and is paying to hunt, doesn't have to pay extra to use the range?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    Because I already pay taxes that go, in part, to fund those crappy ranges. We're not talking nice ranges here. The one's I've been to, before the permits, aren't much more than a gravel pit that's has a sign up calling it a range. Taxes that as a non hunter, I don't get any other direct benefit from. Why should I have to pay another fee, on top of the taxes to use the range, when someone who hunts, and is paying to hunt, doesn't have to pay extra to use the range?
    Citation? I believe hunting licenses and range permits are what pays for them.

(Mifflin County)

Pittman-Roberston act. 11% tax on guns and ammo. Goes through the feds, back to the state agencies. One of the things listed for uses of monies from that act is creating and maintaining ranges.

(York County)

In order to use a PA Gamesland range, aside from paying monies for either a hunting, furtaking, or range use permit, you must first find one. As far as I can tell, they have been closing available state owned outdoor ranges at an alarming rate the last several years. There used to be two within 20-30 minutes of my house, now the nearest one is an hour away, and the next nearest after that ( that I know of ) is nearing an hour and a half plus travel time. Why?

(Lawrence County)

Pittman-Robertson funds constitute less than 20% of the PGC's annual budget, the majority of it is from hunting license sales. Hunters have paid for the vast majority of the cost of the ranges and the land they are on through licenses and Pittman-Robertson taxes. The PGC range near me was closed years ago, the local sportsmans club charges $125 initiation for the first year and $75/year membership after that. They also have competition shoots and close the range sometimes, I'd love to have a range to shoot at any time for $30.

(Berks County)

PA, low taxes but a lot of fees. he should have paid the $30. You think I like paying car registration, license fees, LTCF fee, etc? I don't but I do to be legal.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

I have no issue with the permit. I think it is a great idea. The ranges may not be nice, but they are there and usable. I love that this asshat got fined for not having the permit and for forging one. If you don't like the fee, don't use the ranges. Joining a club is probably better anyway. More options of things to do.

If you don't have a range near you, don't buy a permit. I don't use these ranges because the nearest one is 45 minutes away and I am a member of a gun club (which, BTW, is far more expensive than the hunting license or range permit.) Shall I complain that I shouldn't have to pay as much for my hunting license since I don't use the ranges? No.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast