Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default XDs attempted purchased resulted in a research

Title says it all, but what gets me is that this is the same shop where I bought my M9 back in February and the resultant research came back within 2 hours as approved.

Since then I've had checks run for an AR lower at another LGS, a Rem 700 at Gander Mountain, and the Sheriff ran it for my LTCF and only this shop has had issues getting me through the background check.

Not sure how long it may take to get the approval, assuming they don't let the clock expire on the research. Hopeful I won't have to fight a denial as it may be awhile before another XDs is available anywhere.

So guess I'm looking for words of wisdom from others who have had no issues and then found them-self in a research situation. What happen to you? What did you do to keep from dwelling on it while you waited?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: XDs attempted purchased resulted in a research

I was put into research for my first purchase.

Here's what I did to not dwell on it: Nothing. Dwelling on it is all I did.

It takes up to 15 days, mine took like 4. I got it, and I hope you do too

(Delaware County)

I have only been delayed one time and that was because the entire system was down. I also had two cases where the shop could not get through because the system was overloaded. I did not have much to dwell on because I was sure I would be approved.

Are you actualy being put into research or is the system just busy and the shop dosen't want to keep calling untill they get through?
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Erie County)

Told me i'm in research, heck the guy waited over an hour the first time for an operator to pick up. These guys want to make the sale, just suspect they may be entering something wrong or the shop itself causes red flags when they call in.

Like I said in 5 checks 3 went through faster than greased lightning, and this shop on both tries gets a result of research. Not sure if the wait is worth the $50 buck I'm saving over the Gander Mountain price, but hey maybe they'll get back to me tomorrow. I figure they don't work the research cases on the weekend. Good thing I've got to go to work that will kill some time.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by FlcnDawg View Post
    Told me i'm in research, heck the guy waited over an hour the first time for an operator to pick up. These guys want to make the sale, just suspect they may be entering something wrong or the shop itself causes red flags when they call in.

Like I said in 5 checks 3 went through faster than greased lightning, and this shop on both tries gets a result of research. Not sure if the wait is worth the $50 buck I'm saving over the Gander Mountain price, but hey maybe they'll get back to me tomorrow. I figure they don't work the research cases on the weekend. Good thing I've got to go to work that will kill some time.
    I would tell them thanks anyway but you picked one up somewhere else. Just go to Gander and buy it! XDSs' are awesome!!!

(Venango County)

Does the government check system take into account number of sales and / or prior straw purchases at certain locations? I am wondering if where people purchase might increase their chances of going into research. Perhaps just location alone - such as poorer areas with higher crime?

This would be a concern and difficult to prove unless someone came forward from within.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
    I would tell them thanks anyway but you picked one up somewhere else. Just go to Gander and buy it! XDSs' are awesome!!!
    I personally would never do this. It is not the fault of the shop. If you cancel and go somewhere else it would cost the shop money that they did not recoup.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Mifflin County)

Never been delayed here however the last time I bought anything requiring a NICS check was in 2009 and in FL.

My concealed weapons permit [LTCF] (RES-PA) took about ten minutes and I was out the door with it in my wallet and good to go.

I spent some time chit-chatting with the female deputies otherwise I would have been out in five minutes.

(Berks County)

Had a mistake on my record. Waiting for my reversal to arrive in the mail. 90 some days later. ltcf revoked.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    I personally would never do this. It is not the fault of the shop. If you cancel and go somewhere else it would cost the shop money that they did not recoup.
    How do you know it's not the fault of the shop? You would rather wait around for an unknown amount of time possibly because the gun store is on the check system's radar for whatever reason instead of getting the gun somewhere you know it's in stock right now?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast