Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Spending $$$$$ on a rifle but $ on optics.

I don't get it...

I know someone that has spent close to 5k on firearms the past 6 months, will probably spend another 5k before the year is out. This includes some target rifles.

Guy asked me for advice on a scope...I am not optics expert but have owned many scopes over the years and know that budget priced scopes usually are priced that way for a reason so steered him towards scopes in the $300-$500 range.

Whats he do? goes to Walmart and buys a $100.00 scope for his AR varmint rifle...

Default Re: Spending $$$$$ on a rifle but $ on optics.

I know people that have Cadillac's, and still shop there, one thing for sure, you'll never fool a wally world shopper, it'll always be price before quality!
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

(Washington County)

I never understood that either. You'll buy a great rifle capable of great accuracy and then skimp on rings and a scope.

I usually spend on optics about 1/2 the price of the rifle.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Washington County)

I've only been guilty of this when I'm too impatient to wait for a quality scope and have to shoot my new gun ASAP. I usually have something laying around though and don't waste money on a cheap scope.
    Fortune fingers the fearless

(Cambria County)

Not just scopes... but all the other gear they buy. They have a top of the line rifle, then buy cheap mags, cheap tactical gear, cheap everything else. Your rifle is important. But not anymore than all your other gear. If your other gear is cheap, a good rifle won't compensate for it if the time comes that you have to use it to save your life.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

I have to admit that I am guilty of 'cheap scope syndrome'. Honestly, though, I have them on my hunters and I have a good scope on my varmint upper/paper puncher. My 30-30 has a decent scope, but I want to be able to see flies humping at 150 yds with it. I was turned on to the WM Centerpoint by my best friend who uses them, a lot. He told me he couldn't see spending $800 anymore on a scope when the CP did just as good for the distances he hunts at. I tried one and had to agree with him right off the bat. They are not affected by the recoil of my 300 WM rifles, either. I cannot speak for other cheap scopes as I have only used a Tasco on a Win. 70, .223, and it was terrible. It is now a slow fire pistol spotting scope on a 'redneck customs' stand.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    I have to admit that I am guilty of 'cheap scope syndrome'. Honestly, though, I have them on my hunters and I have a good scope on my varmint upper/paper puncher. My 30-30 has a decent scope, but I want to be able to see flies humping at 150 yds with it. I was turned on to the WM Centerpoint by my best friend who uses them, a lot. He told me he couldn't see spending $800 anymore on a scope when the CP did just as good for the distances he hunts at. I tried one and had to agree with him right off the bat. They are not affected by the recoil of my 300 WM rifles, either. I cannot speak for other cheap scopes as I have only used a Tasco on a Win. 70, .223, and it was terrible. It is now a slow fire pistol spotting scope on a 'redneck customs' stand.
    I can just about understand it for a rifle that is ONLY going to be used as a target rifle or maybe a hunting rifle. There are decent scopes that can save you a lot of money.

The ones that make me crazy are the guys with the top of the line AR's and then they put a cheap ass optic on them. (Right now I'm guilty of this, but I didn't put it on the AR, it came that way. And I'm saving up for an Aimpoint).

At the same time. I think that spending more on your optic than you spent on the rifle is crazy too. Before I drop a thousand dollars or more on an optic, I would buy a lot of ammo and practice an awful lot with my iron sights, or, spend $400-$500 on a "good" optic and a case of ammo.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

I won a rifle/scope combo a few years ago in a raffle. The rifle is a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Classic in 22-250. It came with a Swift 3-9 x 30 scope. Yep, a $1,000 rifle with a $99 scope.

heck, i even know people who use iron sights! how gross
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Monroe County)

I know guys who buy the top of the line model car and when they change their oil they use the cheapest oil and filters available.

I know guys who buy the nicest model t.v.'s and radios and hook them up to cheap speakers.

I know guys who buy nice suits and then take it to the cheapest tailor.

I know guys etc. etc. etc.

Some people make foolish choices with their money. It looks even more foolish when it's paired with something that displays the large gap in price/quality between the two.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast