Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Moving with my firearms?

I am going to be moving to a different address soon, but I am confused about the law and could use some help.

Since I currently have no car (or drivers license, I had no use for it), I will be relying on my mother in law or brother in law to drive me and my guns to the new home. The car is an SUV, so no separate lockable trunk. There will be a handgun, a rifle and a shotgun. Due to where I live, I do not have an LTCF yet, and neither do my in-laws, but none of us are prohibited from owning a firearm.

Since the car is not mine and I won't be driving, will there be any kind of problem? And if so, what is recommended given my situation?

I plan on disassembling the guns and use a cable lock on the receiver of the handgun and rifle. I do not have a lock that fits the shotgun. I will then put the disassembled parts in different padlocked plastic gun-cases.

Any ammunition or magazines will be moved separately from the guns.

(York County)

Default Re: Moving with my firearms?

Where are you moving? New Jersey? Washington DC?
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Crawford County)

Keep the guns unloaded. Chambers open on the rifle and shotgun, handgun magazines locked in a container, handgun locked in a separate container. If the handgun is a revolver, just make sure it is unloaded.

Enjoy the move (yeah...right!), and get your LTCF as soon as plausible to avoid mickey-mouse bullshit like this next time around.
    "When I hit it, I expect it to fall the hell down and die!"

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Where are you moving? New Jersey? Washington DC?
    From downtown Philly to right outside Philly. Hence the lack of LTCF.

Since "firearm" in the law seems to only apply to handguns and NFA items, should I be less concerned about the rifle/shotgun?

(Jefferson County)

Reading material:

18 Pa.C.S. § 6106: Firearms not to be carried without a license

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police), or to a place of instruction intended to teach the safe handling, use or maintenance of firearms or back or to a location to which the person has been directed to relinquish firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a licensed dealer's place of business for relinquishment pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S § 6108.2 (relating to relinquishment for consignment sale, lawful transfer or safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a location for safekeeping pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment to third party for safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by vinlander View Post
    From downtown Philly to right outside Philly. Hence the lack of LTCF.

Since "firearm" in the law seems to only apply to handguns and NFA items, should I be less concerned about the rifle/shotgun?
    "Firearm" is defined more than one way within the UFA.

We're under a state of emergency right now, so § 6107 limits your ability to legally transport any firearm (in the broad sense of the word, in this case) in public. § 6108 also includes long guns in its prohibition on transport, so that would be an issue too even without the state of emergency.

That said, you're legal if you meet the following exception under § 6106:
    (8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, …

ETA: I see knight0334 beat me to it.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Thanks, I appreciate the answers.

So as long as they are in locked cases, disassembled, with cable locks through the magwells, I should be in the clear. Even in the back of a SUV driven by one of my in-laws?

Why are we in a state of emergency? EDIT: Nevermind, followed the link, duh.
    Last edited by vinlander; May 29th, 2013 at 10:43 PM.