Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default HD Shotgun Under $350?

Sub $350 HD 12GA. Do they exist? I was looking at some Mossbergs today, 500s I think?
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Berks County)

Default Re: HD Shotgun Under $350?

Hi neighbor.

Not a shotgun expert, and I don't own a Mossberg, but many think it's one of the best, even over the Remington 870. Many prefer the top safety over the crossbolt type. You should be able to find one around $350, maybe new depending on what 'options' you want: Stock type, mag size, barrel length. Pistol grips look cool, but not very practical.

There are several on gun broker around $350 that aren't even getting bids and buy it now's around that price too. If you went slightly used, I think you could do even a little better.

(Crawford County)

I picked up my Mossberg 500 for $125 in the midst of the Newtown panic buying period. Look for used shotguns at your local gun shop.

As far as what kind to get, I stand by my ol' Mossy.....but there are those who love their Remingtons, Stoegers, and what have you....
    "When I hit it, I expect it to fall the hell down and die!"

(Berks County)

Weatherby PA-08 tactical or the PA-459 ....both can be had for your price range.

Mossberg 500 variations

Remmington 870 variations

All will work as a good HD scattergun .
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Beaver County)

If there are Dunham's out by you, they have Mossberg 500s on sale on a pretty regular basis for under $300. That's if you want to buy new. Unless you want something really specific that you can't find anywhere else and no one will order for you, don't use gunbroker. By the time you pay shipping and FFL transfer you're not saving any money. Maverick 88 shotguns are excellent for the price. My dad and his wife have one and I've shot it a few times. Remington 870s are kind of hard to find in the $350 or less price range unless you come across a used one. The Remington shotguns seem to have some quality control issues lately though, including an 870 I had a few years ago. Mine just had a rough chamber that needed some polishing. It wouldn't reliably eject spent hulls otherwise. It's an easy fix. Keep in mind though that a lot of people who say their gun sucks and that it jams all the time know dick about how to properly care for and use their weapons. Just like everything else in life, there's always user error and no one takes responsibility for their actions so naturally, the gun is just a piece of shit. I don't hear very many horror stories about Mossberg pumps at all though. The big two are the 870 and 500 though for good reason. I suggest handling them both and seeing which set of controls you like better. The 870 is a lot easier to disassemble than the 500 in my opinion. That's something to consider if you're new to shotguns. I'm left handed and I really like the Mossberg's slide release being behind the trigger guard on the left side and the safety being on top of the receiver. The 870 has a safety behind the trigger and slide release in front. I prefer the controls on the Mossberg but the ergonomics of the 870. It just fits my body better. Give us some more details about you. Righty? Lefty? About how tall are? Long arms? There are features that may turn you off of a certain weapon that can be upgraded or changed later so keep that in mind too. Especially on the 500 and 870 platforms. There are a lot of possibilities for customizing those weapons.

(Berks County)

I agree: Don't buy from Gunbroker. I was just using that as a point of reference that they are not selling at the $350 price, so they can definitely be found for less.

(Indiana County)

I just picked this up for $200 used, it also came with two extra stocks and some other stuff.

It's a Maverick 88 (Mossberg 500 but with no top safety, it's in front of the trigger) 8 shot 20".
    I normally prefer a Mossberg top safety, but since this will only be a pistol grip gun, the trigger guard safety is more to my liking.

Keep an eye out in the classifieds here and even pennswoods.net.

Also, don't forget that a turkey shotgun can do double duty as a HD gun. Many are already compact and quite handy, but they may lack the capacity you are looking for.

Barrels for 870's and Mossy 500's are easy to change and easy to find. I see plenty of like new longer barreled Mossy 500's for sale in the $175-$200 range. Cut down the barrel or swap it out.

I don't own any Remingtons.
    Last edited by 39flathead; June 1st, 2013 at 12:50 AM.

(Berks County)

Smile Re: HD Shotgun Under $350?

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    I just picked this up for $200 used, it also came with two extra stocks and some other stuff.

It's a Maverick 88 (Mossberg 500 but with no top safety, it's in front of the trigger) 8 shot 20".
    I normally prefer a Mossberg top safety, but since this will only be a pistol grip gun, the trigger guard safety is more to my liking.

Keep an eye out in the classifieds here and even pennswoods.net.

Also, don't forget that a turkey shotgun can do double duty as a HD gun. Many are already compact and quite handy, but they may lack the capacity you are looking for.

Barrels for 870's and Mossy 500's are easy to change and easy to find. I see plenty of like new longer barreled Mossy 500's for sale in the $175-$200 range. Cut down the barrel or swap it out.

I don't own any Remingtons.
    That was a great buy. I just bought this Ithaca 37 for $175. But it does 'slam fire'

Side note: It almost looks like the pistol grip stock on the Ithaca and Mossberg are the same. Anybody have and thoughts on that. I just started looking for a full tactical stock for the 37 and there are few options.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Indiana County)

ATI makes some stock kits that include different adapters for different models, maybe they come with an adapter for a Ithaca?

Choate makes a folding pistol grip stock for Ithaca, or at least they used to.

The only Ithaca I ever had was some years back, I honestly just don't remember.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    ATI makes some stock kits that include different adapters for different models, maybe they come with an adapter for a Ithaca?

Choate makes a folding pistol grip stock for Ithaca, or at least they used to.

The only Ithaca I ever had was some years back, I honestly just don't remember.
    ATI has some nice telescoping/ folding but their site lists Moss, Rem, and Win adaptors. Maybe I can email them directly and find out.

Choate still makes that folder, but not really what I'm looking for.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast