Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Had a small run-in with PPD

I was riding around the city on Monday since it was a beautiful day. Towards the end of my ride, I come to rest at a red light next to a cop who's stopped in the bus lane.

I'm blocking his way into the street since I'm at the front left of his car waiting for the light. He flips his lights and does a quick chirp of the siren, I figure maybe he just got a call and needs to get out. I maneuver out of his way onto the sidewalk and he steps out of his car.

At this point, I can't imagine what he wants to do with me.
    This is pretty much the conversation that happened. I can't remember word for word, but you'll get the idea.

PO: Yo, where you going?
    Me: Hello officer, can I help you?
    PO: Where you heading?
    Me: Uh, nowhere really. Enjoying the weather, riding around the city.
    PO: Yeah, well, what do you need THAT for?

Now I get it. While I was riding, my courier bag rides at such an angle that it lifts my shirt pretty easily right next to grip of my pistol. I was stopped literally in front of his window with the gun pretty much at his eye-level.

Me: Can never be too careful. A lot of messed up stuff has been going on recently. A while ago there was a string of bikers attacked around Kelley Drive where I was riding earlier.
    PO: Huh, yeah. You have a license for that?
    Me: Sure, it's in my wallet which is in my bag. Can I get it?
    PO: Yep. I'm going to take your firearm and run it while you get that out.
    Me: No, you're not. I don't consent to any search or seizures. Now, I'm volunteering my LTCF since it's required, after you call that in, I'll take it back and we can both get on with the rest of our day, I'm sure we both have more important things to do.

He scoffs at me and says, don't move, I'll be right back. Walks back to his car and gets on the radio. Comes back in a few minutes and tries this on me.

PO: Technically, you are open carrying in Philadelph-
    Me: Which is legal.
    PO: ... but the manner in which you were doing so looks suspicious.
    Me: How so?
    PO: You're carryin' it like a thug.
    Me: My shirt accidentally rode up after a few hours of riding my bike. Trust me, it wasn't intentional.
    PO: Whatever, you shouldn't carry like that around here. Give me your LTCF.

After this point he's clearly a little annoyed he can't bully the young kid around. Takes his sweet time checking the LTCF and flicks it back at me.

PO: Be careful. Anything can happen out here.

As if that wasn't what I fucking told him my reason was for carrying in the first place.

All in all, rather painless but annoying. Cops love to make a scene over nothing. Had the lights going the whole time, traffic was backed up from rubberneckers. Another car came by at one point and double parked. And the whole condescending attitude was the worst. I was surprised he didn't try and write me a ticket for trying to run the red light in front of him or something after he couldn't push me around with the LTCF issue.

So yeah, that's how I spent my holiday!
    “Until they become conscious, they will never rebel.” - George Orwell, 1984

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Had a small run-in with PPD

Great job not letting him bully you!

(Lehigh County)

Kudos for standing up to a member of the gang of badged thugs.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by SAB215 View Post
    Because you're too heavy to carry with me, especially on my bike...

And...? Sorry, officer. Didn't realize there was a "respectable" manner in which to carry. Maybe they got their carry methods from me. Either way, show me where the problem lies...

(that being said, obviously there is a smart way to carry, but saying you look like a thug because your shirt rode up? Give me a break... Kudos to you for standing your ground.)

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by SAB215
    Sounds like a threat to me....

I'm guessing you don't have a recording device? If I was recording that conversation I'd be asking his supervisors what that last remark ment.

Of course in Philthadelhpia complaints against a thug...I mean...officer would only get him a raise for doing a good job.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by spartakis252 View Post
    Sounds like a threat to me....

I'm guessing you don't have a recording device? If I was recording that conversation I'd be asking his supervisors what that last remark ment.

Of course in Philthadelhpia complaints against a thug...I mean...officer would only get him a raise for doing a good job.
    Yeah, he said it mockingly. He was snarky and just all around arrogant. Like I was causing HIM a problem because he HAD to stop me.

All my stuff goes in my bag when I go on long rides, stuff in my pockets gets really uncomfortable. I only went in there long enough to grab my wallet. I had thought about grabbing my phone but decided not to chance it.
    “Until they become conscious, they will never rebel.” - George Orwell, 1984

I like how you handled yourself sir.

(Monroe County)

I was riding around the city on Monday since it was a beautiful day. Towards the end of my ride, I come to rest at a red light next to a cop who's stopped in the bus lane.

I'm blocking his way into the street since I'm at the front left of his car waiting for the light. He flips his lights and does a quick chirp of the siren, I figure maybe he just got a call and needs to get out. I maneuver out of his way onto the sidewalk and he steps out of his car.

At this point, I can't imagine what he wants to do with me.
    This is pretty much the conversation that happened. I can't remember word for word, but you'll get the idea.

PO: Yo, where you going?
    Me: Hello officer, can I help you?
    PO: Where you heading?
    Me: Uh, nowhere really. Enjoying the weather, riding around the city.

Now I get it. While I was riding, my courier bag rides at such an angle that it lifts my shirt pretty easily right next to grip of my pistol. I was stopped literally in front of his window with the gun pretty much at his eye-level.

Me: Can never be too careful. A lot of messed up stuff has been going on recently. A while ago there was a string of bikers attacked around Kelley Drive where I was riding earlier.
    PO: Huh, yeah. You have a license for that?
    Me: Sure, it's in my wallet which is in my bag. Can I get it?
    PO: Yep. I'm going to take your firearm and run it while you get that out.
    Me: No, you're not. I don't consent to any search or seizures. Now, I'm volunteering my LTCF since it's required, after you call that in, I'll take it back and we can both get on with the rest of our day, I'm sure we both have more important things to do.

He scoffs at me and says, don't move, I'll be right back. Walks back to his car and gets on the radio. Comes back in a few minutes and tries this on me.

PO: Technically, you are open carrying in Philadelph-
    Me: Which is legal.
    Me: My shirt accidentally rode up after a few hours of riding my bike. Trust me, it wasn't intentional.
    PO: Whatever, you shouldn't carry like that around here. Give me your LTCF.

After this point he's clearly a little annoyed he can't bully the young kid around. Takes his sweet time checking the LTCF and flicks it back at me.

As if that wasn't what I fucking told him my reason was for carrying in the first place.

All in all, rather painless but annoying. Cops love to make a scene over nothing. Had the lights going the whole time, traffic was backed up from rubberneckers. Another car came by at one point and double parked. And the whole condescending attitude was the worst. I was surprised he didn't try and write me a ticket for trying to run the red light in front of him or something after he couldn't push me around with the LTCF issue.

So yeah, that's how I spent my holiday!
    Pics or it didn't.....er um.........nvm....good job!

(Armstrong County)

Well handled!
    The original point and click interface was a Colt Peacemaker!

(Beaver County)

I call bs. There is no way that you coaxed one of PPD's finest out of his car, on a hot day, empty handed, and did not get charged with "preventing the apprehension of donuts". Or at the very least "criminal possesion of excessive knowledge with intent to distribute". Both charges are 1st degree mf'ers, I believe.

Nicely done, OP. Handled like a pro.
    Proud to be a Longwall pig...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast