Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Need help for my daughters essay

My daughter and a friend of hers have an essay that is due on Fri. They have to pick a side of pro gun, or anti gun and do an essay on it. They have both chosen to go pro-gun, and I need some help in finding them some material for thier argument. The essay will be on why they feel that gun control will not work, and why they are against it. Of course I can help greatly in the argument, but I also need some stats to help back up the argument. if anyone can give me a link to a few of the stats that we could use that would be great. Some of the most helpful would be, The number of people who where convicted of a gun related crime, whom legaly purchased and owned the firearm that was used during the crime. Also it would be very helpful to have a link showing the gun crime rates in each state, and how gun friendly, or anti gun that state is.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Need help for my daughters essay

If they just want to copy talking points (which is what school assignments have become with the advent of the internet), then go to www.gunfacts.info

You said they're against gun control. Have them say why, then find a website that agrees with them.

(Monroe County)

Use Australia as an example, I'm pretty sure they were the ones who went from low crime to high due to disarmament.

You may also want to touch on Israel and their crime rate as everyone spends time in military and so knows how to use guns.

(Northampton County)

Here is a huge document on Pro Gun stats and myths. This was posted here by some one else I could not find that thread but i bookmarked this cause It is great info.

http://www.gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-fa...4-2-Screen.pdf

(Chester County)

Look into what a lack of armed citizens has done for Great Britian as well.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Allegheny County)

and the crime rate in Switzerland

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    Look into what a lack of armed citizens has done for Great Britian as well.
    And since they're an island, it's hard to them to blame it on guns easily carried across borders. (Like DC tries to blame Virginia.)

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by awkx View Post
    ..... (Like DC tries to blame Virginia.)
    and NJ tries to blame PA, and Nutter tries to blame Bucks County etc, etc, and so forth.... end hijack

dont forget to tell her that obama wants to abolish concealed carry in all 50 states...if elected. sorry for the hijack, just had to get it off my chest.

(Allegheny County)

i'd suggest they do some research on the "international crime victim survey" which is a series of studies that compare crime rates in various countries.

they consistently show that both england and austrailia (which both have essentially banned guns...especially england) have far greater violent crime rates than the US.

here are a couple links to get them started:

http://www.unicri.it/wwd/analysis/ic...000i/index.htm

http://www.unicri.it/wwd/analysis/ic...-icvs-app4.pdf (this one has the hard stats)

also do some research on home invasion rates in england vs. the USA...i can't find the links right at the moment, but they are out there. the home invasion rate in england is about 9 times higher than what it is in the US. in addition, abut 40% of home invasions in england happen when the occupants are at home...as comapred to (iirc) about 2% in the united states. obvioulsy, home invasions are a much more dangerous crime when the occupants are home.

also research interviews with felons regarding the possibility of their victims being armed. again, i don't have the links handy, but there have been studies that show that criminals do fear the possibility of their victims being armed...in fact, this is one of the reason most US home invasions happen when nobody is home.

here is a good webpage that is well documented...they could use it as a good starting point as well:

http://www.davekopel.com/2A/LawRev/L...nsBurglars.htm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast