Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Question for Sig experts/fans

I have the opportunity to trade a LNIB M11-A1 for a 2005 gun of the month two tone p228 in what I was told is in similar condition. Sounds like a good deal to me and it says made in Germany and all that, but my question is were the 2005 sigs still made completely in Germany or is this a German slide on a Exeter NH frame??

Also, the m11 was pretty pricey, I was going to sell it for $800, is this a comparable trade?

I'm actually pretty excited about adding the two tone to the collection, just wanted to get some opinions. From what I can google there were only 162 of these made in november of 2005.

Thanks

I'm really starting to like Sigs too...might have to change my screen name lol
    Now less Glock, more H&K :)

Default Re: Question for Sig experts/fans

Well, after 9 hrs, no one has said anything, so I'll give it a shot. Looking at what has been sold (cannot find the want you want to trade for actually for sale) and the prices they went for, I would hold on to what you have unless you just really want the duo tone. The M11-A1 isn't a Sig I know a lot about as I mentioned in another thread, but I do like and own some Sig models. There must be some reason the M11-A1 is the price it is...I'd really think about it if it were me. Also, I wouldn't be selling it for $800 unless you are needing green, quick.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Philadelphia County)

Is there something about the M11 you don't like? They are very similar guns; not exactly the same but pretty close. I don't know if the 2005 has any particular collector value but I'd be inclined to keep the M11-A1.

(Fayette County)

The Sig you are looking at has a frame and barrel made in Germany and the frame made in USA.

I have a Sig 229-R and it was made the same way and its one of the best handguns I have ever owned.

The only reason the slide is made in Germany and the frame in the USA is because of stupid American firearm import laws.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by photoshooter View Post
    Is there something about the M11 you don't like? They are very similar guns; not exactly the same but pretty close. I don't know if the 2005 has any particular collector value but I'd be inclined to keep the M11-A1.
    No. Just thought the p228's were more desireable for collector purposes and that the German sigs were better made?

(Philadelphia County)

I'm a huge sig fan but I'm not really up to speed on what is considered more collectible. I think the 228 platform makes for a perfect handgun in terms of size, ergos etc. By all accounts the M11-A1 is a current "state of the art" P228. It's been criticized by "purists" who say it's a hybrid 228/229. But the bottom line is that, collector status aside, the M11-A1 is a very desirable firearm. In fact you should post a pic of it just to torment those of us who want one

I own a vintage German 228 (1994) but I still find the M11-A1 drool worthy. I'm neither a purist nor a collector, I just appreciate fine firearms. Since the 2005 P228 is likely not all German I would stick with the M11-A1. If you ever decide to dump it I think you would have no trouble selling it.
    Here is a thread that shows some of the differences between the M11-A1 and the P228.

(Warren County)

I"m of the same mindset as the other guys, I currently own an older Sig P228 and while I like the older non-railed Sigs better I still wouldn't mind having an M11-A1. If I had one, I would not trade it for a two-tone Sig from 2005... your call, but I'd keep what you have if I were you.
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Monroe County)

I'm a SIG fan and have been for a long time. I've had the luck to be able to take the SIG P Series aromorer class, and own more then a few SIGs over the years. I've had older German ones, and new milled slide ones. From a strictly durability standpoint, I think the newer one piece slide have to be more reliable. The old pinned block was superceeded for a reason. It is more durable. In a 9mm, is it really necessary? Probably not, the old setup worked, but is there really any harm in having something overbuilt? I don't think so.

The vast majority of the Sigs I still have are newer one piece slides. Most of my older ones have been sold off. If you are happy with your M11, keep it, and shoot it alot. If you aren't happy with it, I don't know that an older 228 is going to make you any happier.

AJ

Collectability status and nomenclature aside, the main differences between the two guns are the slides and the rail. The 2005 P228 will have a folded slide (and no rail) which changes its balance and makes the gun lighter, hence its shooting characteristics.

The change to the monolithic SS slide was to accommodate the more intense .40 & .357 Sig calibers in the newly designated P229 and since all Sig slides are manufactured that way today, the new P228's have the monolithic slides.

I really like the folded slide guns for their balance and lighter weight, whether you do or not is personal preference and really should be your deciding factor as to which you wish to own.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

Thanks everyone for the info! Good perspectives