Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default target practice in the woods?

I'd rather get some excercise and save money on busses than go to the range. Am I allowed to target practice on the land that has big white signs saying not to litter,camp, destroy things etc? I don't think its state gameland but rather private property that the owners let everyone hunt on to be nice like some sort of cooperative or something. Before I make a habit out of it I want to know if it would be legal if I stuck some targets to a stump or fallen branch in front of an incline so I don't accidentally kill trees or animals or god forbid a human

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: target practice in the woods?

You'd better check with the owner of the land if they're alright with it, whether the owner is the State or a private individual or corporation.

As a Landowner in N E PA,1 Nothing pisses me off more than someone without my permission putting up targets on my trees and shooting the Hell out of it ! 2,Only a select number of friends are permitted to hunt with a note and ID giving my permission to Hunt and the only target shooting is done safely for sighting in purposes only in the month of August.A liability is upon me and will not suffer the consequences of some Yahoo tresspassing on my property.3rd I do and always prosecute to the fullest extent of the law,PGC has my permission although they really dont need it to pursue lawbreakers. Sounds Harsh ? Until some Yahoo gets hurt !

(Chester County)

MARINE DIVISION TWO offers good advice (probably because he is a Marine, but I digress). You certainly need to obtain permission from the landowner prior. And even then, they would assume potential liability if you were to get hurt on their property.

Find a local gun club and join. Clubs have insurance and you will be in a safe and controlled environment for shooting.

p.s. I'm no lawyer, but I like to think I have good judgment.
    Last edited by JAKIII; May 26th, 2013 at 08:15 PM.

(Washington County)

You could use the state game land range in New Florence. I think there is a gun club in Bolivar. Probably something closer to you. With that said, lot's of people go up on the Derry ridge and blast away. Be prepared to meet some pissed off property owners if you take the risk.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Delaware County)

If it is private property I think you should get permission. That should be an automatic thought.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks for the info guys. Collegesheepdog are there any places on the ridge that are ok to shoot? I don't want anyone to get pissed

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    As a Landowner in N E PA,1 Nothing pisses me off more than someone without my permission putting up targets on my trees and shooting the Hell out of it ! 2,Only a select number of friends are permitted to hunt with a note and ID giving my permission to Hunt and the only target shooting is done safely for sighting in purposes only in the month of August.A liability is upon me and will not suffer the consequences of some Yahoo tresspassing on my property.3rd I do and always prosecute to the fullest extent of the law,PGC has my permission although they really dont need it to pursue lawbreakers. Sounds Harsh ? Until some Yahoo gets hurt !
    Moscow pa? I used to be there every weekend dirt biking... Great memories. The owners of Ferri's pizza are some of my family's oldest friends. God I hate the city
    "you cant fight zombies with good intentions"

My Feedback:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/98731-cmr076.html

(Westmoreland County)

I talked to a game warden up on that ridge a year or so ago. I was at the old quarry near Twin Maples looking for brass when he showed up. Basically he told me it's illegal to shoot on private property without the land owners permission. When Smith owned that land we had permission, the new owner, no. Lots of people still shoot up there but the game commission watches it.

Here's a link to the Pa Game Commission ranges, the one on 711 would be closest to you.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=620410&mode=2

The Army Navy store in Latrobe has an indoor range. There several sportsman's clubs in the area. Derry rod & gun, New Derry Sportsman, Slovak club, Kingston, Greensburg, Hecla and Youngwood sportsman clubs and I know there are more.
    Last edited by pennlineman; May 26th, 2013 at 10:11 PM.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by doobiemonster View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. Collegesheepdog are there any places on the ridge that are ok to shoot? I don't want anyone to get pissed
    Sorry, can't say I know any place where it is ok to do some shooting. I grew up in Bolivar and had my own land to shoot on so I never did more than quad riding up on the ridge.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast