Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Help a reloading noob out...

So - I'm always intrigued by folks who reload their own ammo. I think the concept is fantastic based on the cost savings alone......but the notion of ME reloading is overwhelmingly intimidating.

It's not the routine or steps required to reload....It's just that there are many manufacturers out there of reloading equipment as well as differing levels of "all in one" reloading stations etc.... What brand is best? Which of the many models???

And then the powder! Crap....that alone boggles me when I read articles and they're talking about this powder vs. another etc..... I carry Gold Dots for EDC defense. I'd like to reload for range time. I figure, until I get reeeeal comfortable with it, I'll get one definitive 'recipe' and stick with it for range ammo.

Where's a good place for a reloading noob to start? Any forum? Book? Your experiences or recommendations???

Thanks!
    Gary in Pennsylvania
    -------------------------------
    “No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt
    “Argue For Your Limitations……And Sure Enough, They’re Yours.” Messiah's Handbook
    “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates 399BC

Default Re: Help a reloading noob out...

What brand is best will generate "Ford vs Chevy" fights.

Me? I like Lee, because their equipment works well and is adequately durable for my needs. And it's cheaper than the other brands, and I'm reloading on the cheap.

Which powder? Bullseye or Unique will give you an excellent starting powder for 9mm, .45 ACP, .38 Special, and even lighter .357 Magnum loads. I've always gotten good results with Bullseye. I occasionally try new powders, but keep coming back to Bullseye. Maybe I'm just averse to change.

I have no loyalty to any particular brand of primer. I generally don't load max loads, and haven't often noticed changing primers having a terribly noticeable effect on accuracy.

Reloading manuals are a good place to gain basic knowledge. As you figure out what they are doing, depending on the manual they can become a good place to gain advanced knowledge if you want it. You can fill in your knowledge and sometimes gain useful tips off the internet and forums such as this. As with everything else read on the internet, take what you read about reloading with a grain of salt.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Lackawanna County)

Thanks Joe!

ETA - I'd like to start with .45acp
    Gary in Pennsylvania
    -------------------------------
    “No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt
    “Argue For Your Limitations……And Sure Enough, They’re Yours.” Messiah's Handbook
    “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates 399BC

(Tioga County)

I have loaded bunches of .45ACP. I started with Bullseye.. Migrated to Unique, then hit W231 and stayed with it. Yes, I Load with Lee equipment. I have loaded on single stage Turret and Loadmaster presses. and currently have all three. If your budget is tight I would suggest the Lee Classic Turret press. and get the Safety Prime option. remember to get the both small and large safety prime kit as this will save you a few dollars in the end. My dies are also Lee for Pistol I suggest their 4 die set.

(Berks County)

I have had good luck with HP-38 for my 45acp loads. I too use Lee equipment. Reloading does not save you money you can just shoot more for the same amount of money. For a good book I recommend Richard Lees' Modern Reloading. I found it very informated and yes it caters towards Lee. I reload to relax and I enjoy it.

As for choosing a bullet/powder combo: first choose a bullet weight and shape then look in a reloading manual to see what they show and use on of them.
    Bulleye has been a long favorite of 45 acp shooters even thu I do not use it.
    Last edited by bert304; April 21st, 2008 at 12:58 PM.
    The truth shall set you free.

They can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands

I can not wait until NJ sinks in the ocean and PA has ocean front property

(Centre County)

Pick up either Lymans #48 Reloading manual and/or "The ABC's of Reloading". Both are excellent books for the new reloader and should answer pretty much all your questions.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

I've done well with Bullseye and Unique too. Like Joe Williams, I don't load to the max. I try and duplicate what I can get from the factory.

The only equipment I've ever used is a Dillon RL550B and I'm very happy with it. Since I haven't used anything else, I can't comment on anything else. (There won't be a red vs. blue vs. green war started by me.)

I'd also recommend the Lyman #48 manual. I didn't know anyone who was into reloading when I started and I had to teach myslef. Everything I learned initially, I learned from that book.

My .45 ACP loves W231. Lee equipment is very good value for money spent.

(Luzerne County)

The abc's of reloading is a good starting point... I went with the rcbs pro 2000. it is a progressive press. I chose this because i only wanted to spend my money once. The funny thing is I later added a single stage a few months only. I have only loaded some 45 acp so far.
    Last edited by normanvin; April 21st, 2008 at 06:18 PM.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Centre County)

When I started reloading The ABC's of Reloading was a great book for me to learn from. I still look back through it occasionally.

As for my equipment, I currently use an RCBS JR. Press and have a Lee Classic Turret on the way. I use RCBS Dies, a Lyman scale and a Lee powder throw, however with the Turret press I plan to use Lee's powder thru expanding dies.

As for .45 loads, I use Titegroup powder, 230 grain Rainier bullets and CCI primers. I use Titegroup because I load 9mm as well and it cuts down on cost. I have found it have very low recoil and the accuracy is good enough for my purpose.

Good Luck with your decision and remember read, read, read. It could save your life.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Brandon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast