Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default SW1911 Lock Open On Last Shot

I saw something weird the other day, and I wondered if anyone has any thoughts.

I was out shooting my SW1911 with a buddy, and I let him shoot a couple of magazines. Problem is, twice the slide failed to lock after the last shot using some Colt factory magazines (supposedly the best for 1911's). Problem is, this only appeared to happen when he was shooting.

I put about 100 rounds through the gun the week before with the same magazines and had no failures. I did notice he tends to shoot with kind of a loose grip, whereas I grip the gun very tightly. Is it possible that the shooters grip can cause this?

I don't want to rely on these magazines if they are not 100%, but it seems like we only had problems when he was shooting.

Thoughts?
    Stay frosty....

(Monroe County)

Default Re: SW1911 Lock Open On Last Shot

Quote Originally Posted by mikenac View Post
    I saw something weird the other day, and I wondered if anyone has any thoughts.

I was out shooting my SW1911 with a buddy, and I let him shoot a couple of magazines. Problem is, twice the slide failed to lock after the last shot using some Colt factory magazines (supposedly the best for 1911's). Problem is, this only appeared to happen when he was shooting.

I put about 100 rounds through the gun the week before with the same magazines and had no failures. I did notice he tends to shoot with kind of a loose grip, whereas I grip the gun very tightly. Is it possible that the shooters grip can cause this?

I don't want to rely on these magazines if they are not 100%, but it seems like we only had problems when he was shooting.

Thoughts?
    I am no expert, but I would say yes. A lot of times my left hand thumb puts pressure on the slide lock and prevents it from engaging on the last round. I never had this problem up until a few weeks ago. I started paying more attention to my grip and it stopped.

Hope that helps

I've heard that a shooter's grip can effect perfomance but I shoot with a tight grip so I can't tell if it does or not. I use McCormick mags in mine, and the ones that came with my taurus without any issues, I think may be the mags and maybe a loose grip in combination somewhat, but you can find lots of guys here that know exactly! It is a very informative place to talk guns! Good Luck.

(Northampton County)

He was probably limp wristing it. Without a solid lock in your elbows and wrists the recoil is enough to eject and feed, but not enough to get the slide all the way back to lock.

(Beaver County)

That's correct Mike. It's called limp wristing. It can also cause failure to feed problems.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks guys.

Do you think that could also be the cause of his "low and to the left" groupings?
    Stay frosty....

(Montgomery County)

low and left groupings are indicitave of a anticipatory recoil flinch.

next time you shoot with him, after a mag or 2, load the gun FOR him, but dont chamber the first round.

Just hand it to him tell him to shoot like it was hot and ready to go.

you'll see him pull the gun down and to the left on his first try to shoot.

I've used this procedure several times on folks, it points out what they are doing quite well.

once he knows whats happening, he can work on controlling it.

as for the slide lock issue, watch his hands, I'm betting hes keeping the slide from locking back by hitting it with his thumb, or such.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Philadelphia County)

Thumb of off hand rubbing along slide as suggested or weak springs or followers on the mags are best bets when this happens with last round. Limp wristing could happen with any round, so I would not think that is the problem.

I'm betting the thumb since it only happened when he was shooting.

Standard Colt mags are fine if they work for you and your pistol. For an extra round or two my personal preference is CMC 8 round Power Mags. Never a problem with my Springfield's, but 1911's can be finicky and different mags can be better for different manufacturers. Kimber's love Wilson mags, for instance, but the metal followers on the CMC mags really bang up the inside of the aluminum frames on some Kimbers.

(Lawrence County)

Thumb on slide is the cause of premature lockback......and rarely failure to lockback. Left thumb should not touch the slide at all. If you are keeping the slide release down, you're riding HARD.

Colt mags are not the industry standard. Wilson Cambat are.

Limp wrist could do it....or heavy springs. You don't run "extra power" springs do you?

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Thumb on slide is the cause of premature lockback......and rarely failure to lockback. Left thumb should not touch the slide at all. If you are keeping the slide release down, you're riding HARD.

Colt mags are not the industry standard. Wilson Cambat are.

Limp wrist could do it....or heavy springs. You don't run "extra power" springs do you?
    Nope. The gun is completely stock. You guys may be correct about his thumb position (I have not really looked to see). When I shoot, my weak hand thumb is no where near the slide or slide release, and I don't ride the safety with my strong hand (found to be not comfy at all).

I am going to try some other magazines too. The factory mags are ACT-MAG and work flawlessly. I chose the Colt mags after reading this:

http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines/

but I will give the Wilson mags a shot.
    Stay frosty....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast