Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Getting a non-res PA LTCF for a CA resident?

I'm in Philly. My sister lives in CA and visits often. I'm curious of how difficult it is logistically for her to get a PA LTCF. It's a given that I won't take her to Philly "Gun Permit Unit" to apply, where would be the closest location outside of Phila County can I take her to apply?

Thanks,
    Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Getting a non-res PA LTCF for a CA resident?

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    I'm in Philly. My sister lives in CA and visits often. I'm curious of how difficult it is logistically for her to get a PA LTCF. It's a given that I won't take her to Philly "Gun Permit Unit" to apply, where would be the closest location outside of Phila County can I take her to apply?

Thanks,
    Al
    Given that CA does issue concealed carry permits, I believe she will be out of luck getting one, as PA requires you to have a permit from your home state, if they issue one.

You may want to have her get one from a state with reciprocity with PA. She will have to be careful about the Gun Free School Zones, but that is probably her best option.

Idaho is relatively close to PA, and they will issue to anybody who can pass the background check, and shows up in person to apply and then pick up the license. Idaho has statutory reciprocity with PA, so there is no agreement for the AG to mess up.

Utah may also be an option that doesn't require her to travel to another state first.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    Given that CA does issue concealed carry permits, I believe she will be out of luck getting one, as PA requires you to have a permit from your home state, if they issue one.

You may want to have her get one from a state with reciprocity with PA. She will have to be careful about the Gun Free School Zones, but that is probably her best option.

Idaho is relatively close to PA, and they will issue to anybody who can pass the background check, and shows up in person to apply and then pick up the license. Idaho has statutory reciprocity with PA, so there is no agreement for the AG to mess up.

Utah may also be an option that doesn't require her to travel to another state first.
    Thank you. I did remember vaguely about the needing a home state permit first if they issued one, but for some reason thought that "technically impossible to get" may qualify too.

I'm aware of GFSZ, hence the reason for wanting a PA LTCF. I doubt she will ever make it to ID, but will keep that in mind. UT is a good option, but that means she has to attend classes and a bit more efforts. She doesn't own a gun, but is a good and responsible shooter. I just wanted to give her a gun when she's in Philly when I'm not around.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

Utah may be an option, but how long before our AG says otherwise?
    FUCK BIDEN

(Northampton County)

I'm pretty sure that Utah needs a home state license first also.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Utah may be an option, but how long before our AG says otherwise?
    I believe the AG's recent actions impacted only PA residents, not non-residents with FL or other state's non-resident permits/licenses.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR003 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Utah needs a home state license first also.
    Nope, plenty of NJ residents without NJ permit obtained and carry in PA on UT permit.

ETA: Non-res requirement for UT: "Non-resident proof of permit. If you reside in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah CFP or has reciprocity with Utah, you must obtain a CFP or CCW from your home state and submit a copy of it with your application for a Utah permit. For a list of reciprocal states. If your state does not recognize the Utah permit this does not apply. (page 2 of this along with link to check to see if your state has reciprocity: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/doc...PPrintable.pdf)

Al
    Last edited by mythaeus; May 21st, 2013 at 03:28 PM.

(Lycoming County)

I believe the AG's recent actions impacted only PA residents, not non-residents with FL or other state's non-resident permits/licenses.

Nope, plenty of NJ residents without NJ permit obtained and carry in PA on UT permit.

ETA: Non-res requirement for UT: "Non-resident proof of permit. If you reside in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah CFP or has reciprocity with Utah, you must obtain a CFP or CCW from your home state and submit a copy of it with your application for a Utah permit. For a list of reciprocal states. If your state does not recognize the Utah permit this does not apply. (page 2 of this along with link to check to see if your state has reciprocity: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/doc...PPrintable.pdf)

Al
    You may want to research further. The link you used has not been updated since 2011. I believe the law was changed since then:
    http://handgunlaw.us/states/utah.pdf

Be safe (and confusing).

Scott

ETA: Disregard. I see the twist is CA has no reciprocity with ANY other State, so it would work.
    Last edited by Swarner793; May 21st, 2013 at 03:41 PM.

(Chester County)

Al
    The CCWs for FL, VA, ME and AZ are only reciprocated for residents of those states. They are temporarily reciprocated when held by Pa residents for up to 120 days (except ME) from the effective date of the modification of the agreement. Thereafter they are only reciprocated in Pa when issued to those state's respective RESIDENTS.

For PA residents:
    an FL CCW is not reciprocated effective June 8;
    VA and AZ CCWs are not reciprocated effective August 9;
    ME CCWs are currently not reciprocated.

For CA residents: VA, AZ, ME, and FL are currently not reciprocated in PA.

Regardless of the state of residence, those state's CCWs still qualify for the vehicle exception of 18 Pa CS 6106(b)(11).
    Last edited by tl_3237; May 21st, 2013 at 07:29 PM.
    IANAL

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Swarner793 View Post
    You may want to research further. The link you used has not been updated since 2011. I believe the law was changed since then:
    http://handgunlaw.us/states/utah.pdf

Be safe (and confusing).

Scott

ETA: Disregard. I see the twist is CA has no reciprocity with ANY other State, so it would work.
    Thank for the follow up!

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    The CCWs for FL, VA, ME and AZ are only reciprocated for residents of those states. They are temporarily reciprocated when held by Pa residents for up to 120 days (except ME) from the effective date of the modification of the agreement. Thereafter they are only reciprocated in Pa when issued to those state's respective RESIDENTS.

For PA residents:
    an FL CCW is not reciprocated effective June 8;
    VA and AZ CCWs are not reciprocated effective August 9;
    ME CCWs are currently not reciprocated.

For CA residents: VA, AZ, ME, and FL are currently not reciprocated in PA.

Regardless of the state of residence, those state's CCWs still qualify for the vehicle exception of 18 Pa CS 6106(b)(11).
    Hm...thank you for that info my friend. What a mess!

Al

(Northampton County)

Plenty of people have carry permits in CA. It's not like NJ or MD. But it goes by county I think, and the more liberal counties tend to not issue as much. It's sort of like NY.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast