Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default hornady powder drop

Loading 9mm on my LnL and I'm getting annoyed at the amount of powder the the thing is dropping all over the place.
    Seems to only happen with the 9mm, loading .45 does not have the issue.
    Is there a better "cone" out there for loading the smaller 9mm case?
    I have to stop and clean up every 100 rounds at the most as there is powder all over,lol

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: hornady powder drop

You should have gotten two-drop tubes with your powder dump, One each for large and small cases. I have owned several powder dumps over the years, some just meter different powders better than others. Now I own two Hornady LNL. I did replace the standard rotor drum on one and replaced it with the pistol rotor drum and Micrometers, The standard rotor drum will take the standard Rifle Micrometer. I have both of my LNLs set up with the Micrometers. Both have worked great for me with no powder loss.

(Butler County)

I have been loading .357MAG recently which has about the same mouth diameter and haven't had any problems. Are you sure you're using the correct bushing? On the LNL measure, there's one bushing for all pistol calibers - it's the one that's 1.875" long. Alternatively, the powder I've been using is HS-6 - perhaps that's larger grained than what you're using?
    The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names.

(Delaware County)

Something isn't set or adjusted right.

I load everything on my LNL, pistol, rifle large and small incl. 9mm and the only time I get powder not in the brass is when I do something wrong.

I would take a look at how you have everything set up for the 9mm. Is the powder rotor adj. to open and close fully?

I'm sure you would notice if too much powder is being thrown on each round... but hey it doesn't hurt to mention it here ('specially b/4 you pull the trigger on an overloaded round. ...just sayin')

Take the bushing out of the powder drop and place it on top of your 9mm brass and check to see the fit and how it seals.

I use the Hornady One Shot spray lube on the rotor assy and bushings so nothing hangs up. Keeps it all working smooth.

Should be an easy fix.

Post back if you found something out of whack. You never know who you are helping with info posted.

(Lehigh County)

stripped it all down, found nothing other than powder clinging to the outside of the drop.
    Cleaned and wiped with dryer sheet.
    Will report back, but at the moment it looks like the power pistol was/is clinging and falling off the drop as the brass clears down.

edit,
    Found a piece of "something" wedged under the plate, causing the index to be slightly off. removed and it's smooth as silk and not a drop spilled happy boy again
    Last edited by vapochilled; May 22nd, 2013 at 12:32 AM.