Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: Show me your Remington 700's!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
    Here is my 700 Tactical in .308. Notice the bipod, and the barrel not touching the factory hogue stock.

Brad
    Is that an SPS Tactical? The stock looks different than my factory stock. I replaced my stock with one from HS. The stock swap did wonders for my groups.

Did you do anything to the stock to keep it away from the barrel?
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    Is that an SPS Tactical? The stock looks different than my factory stock. I replaced my stock with one from HS. The stock swap did wonders for my groups.

Did you do anything to the stock to keep it away from the barrel?
    That is the factory sps tactical stock. I just added a very thin metal washer on the front bolt between the stock, and the receiver. With the right handloads I can pull off 0.36" groups with it. Its hard to tell with the lighting, but there is at least a 0.25" gap between the barrel and stock.

Brad

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
    That is the factory sps tactical stock. I just added a very thin metal washer on the front bolt between the stock, and the receiver. With the right handloads I can pull off 0.36" groups with it. Its hard to tell with the lighting, but there is at least a 0.25" gap between the barrel and stock.

Brad
    My factory stock is different than yours, mine must be older or newer than yours. I gotta say, the thin washer idea would have been a whole lot cheaper than buying a $275.00 aftermarket stock. I gotta say, I don't regret the stock purchase though. Makes the rifle a bit heavier and comfortable for me to shoot.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

the washer trick will work under some conditions. On lots of stocks that aren't bedded it'll wallow out the stock and get the action screws a bit lose; I don't know what it will do to the hogue. Either way, I guess then it would be time to buy a new stock, so no loss. Sometimes the problem is that the action screws aren't long enough, and they can get bent (break or strip) in the action because they're not grabbing enough threads higher up in the action. If you're keeping an eye out on things and they're far up enough in there, it can work. Sometimes in adding a washer, you can mess up the fit of the bottom metal in the stock and make it bind up. That can lead to misfeeds and other things. People will try to fix that problem by sometimes putting a washer in the rear, but that screw is usually shorter than the front, so then you could really get into the thread problem. I don't mention this to try to say that it's not a fix for the Hogue stock, I bring it up because I want people to pay attention so they don't get in trouble with their action.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    My factory stock is different than yours, mine must be older or newer than yours. I gotta say, the thin washer idea would have been a whole lot cheaper than buying a $275.00 aftermarket stock. I gotta say, I don't regret the stock purchase though. Makes the rifle a bit heavier and comfortable for me to shoot.
    I had purchased my 700 Tactical over a year ago. I don't know when you got yours, but it's possible that it could be newer or older than mine. I do not however have no regrets on the purchase. It's come to be one of my favorite rifles.

Brad

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    the washer trick will work under some conditions. On lots of stocks that aren't bedded it'll wallow out the stock and get the action screws a bit lose; I don't know what it will do to the hogue. Either way, I guess then it would be time to buy a new stock, so no loss. Sometimes the problem is that the action screws aren't long enough, and they can get bent (break or strip) in the action because they're not grabbing enough threads higher up in the action. If you're keeping an eye out on things and they're far up enough in there, it can work. Sometimes in adding a washer, you can mess up the fit of the bottom metal in the stock and make it bind up. That can lead to misfeeds and other things. People will try to fix that problem by sometimes putting a washer in the rear, but that screw is usually shorter than the front, so then you could really get into the thread problem. I don't mention this to try to say that it's not a fix for the Hogue stock, I bring it up because I want people to pay attention so they don't get in trouble with their action.
    When I used a washer in mine, I had to do some work to thin it out. I personally felt that a normal sized washer is way to thick and would negatively affect the stock as per your post. I had grinded my washer down until it was about the size of a piece of paper folded between 3 and 5 times. I took my time when I done this and made sure the fit was perfect. I'm pretty anal when it comes to the fitting of guns, and would not have left it together if it was nested improperly. The result was a success, add a little bit of blue loctite, and I'm willing to bet the bolt will not come back out until I need it to. If anyone is going to attempt this on their own I just recommend they take their time.

Brad

Good, glad to hear it and thanks for the clarification. I just don't want others getting the action screw in a bit too short and breaking one off or worse strip out the threads in the receiver.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ssom003 View Post
    Here is my Remington 700P in .308 Win....

My penis seems to have been stricken by rigor -mortus. that is one freaking sweet rifle. do you tuck her in every night?

I had no idea SA made optics, wow I am in love with another mans rifle but yet I am unashamed
    Last edited by 556slinger; October 22nd, 2009 at 02:18 AM.

(Centre County)

Wow this is an old thread.

Previous pics where taken when the big brown truck brought my rifle. More recent pic below.

action shot.

R15

here is mine, new stock, trigger job, and now has a single piece pic rail as well.

i need to get out and shoot it since all of the mods... some day...
    This Space For Rent

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast