Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Travel by plane with a gun

Okay, so I'm supposed to be going to Florida for some business, very shortly, and a PA carry permit is valid there, however there is two things that puzzle me as to how do I go about bringing my CCW with me...
    I'm going on a plane out of Philadelphia International to meet with my partners who are in Birmingham Alabama currently, which does not honer a PA carry permit. Can I still bring my CCW locked in a case? The other thing is the round trip ticket is already paid for, so I'm not sure if I'm supposed to pay an additional fee or something, or if I can legally just put it in my travel case that goes into the bottom of the plane with the rest of the bags.

What is the legal process of bringing my CCW with me, would anyone know? I'm traveling to an unfamiliar place in Florida, that could be bad for all I know and would like to have my CCW with me. Thanks for any info.

Default Re: Travel by plane with a gun

Quote Originally Posted by ezrarobles View Post
    I'm traveling to an unfamiliar place in Florida, that could be bad for all I know and would like to have my CCW with me. Thanks for any info.
    I've lived in several different locations in Florida and travelled to just about all parts of it and trust me, you should carry a gun no matter where you go there.

As for the travel part, contact the airline for their requirements.

Check the airline's web site for their rules on transporting firearms -- it varies some from airline to airline. Basically it goes in a locked hard-sided case inside your checked bag, and you must declare it at check in. Keep the gun unloaded and stowed in your luggage and you should be OK in Alabama.

(Northampton County)

Just a FYI...

A buddy of mine traveled to Florida from Philly a couple years ago. I am not sure about the official procedure of checking the firearm, but his bag got "lost" on the way to Miami. When he got the luggage the next day, no gun.....!!!! He had in locked in a metal lockbox with a cable throught the metal frame on his luggage. Needless to say, his luggage was destroyed as well.....

He tried to report it stolen to the TSA in Miami and they just shrugged their shoulders and said, "Not our problem".....

He ended up reporting it to a Miami/Dade LEO patrolling the airport.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by paridgerunner View Post
    Just a FYI...

A buddy of mine traveled to Florida from Philly a couple years ago. I am not sure about the official procedure of checking the firearm, but his bag got "lost" on the way to Miami. When he got the luggage the next day, no gun.....!!!! He had in locked in a metal lockbox with a cable throught the metal frame on his luggage. Needless to say, his luggage was destroyed as well.....

He tried to report it stolen to the TSA in Miami and they just shrugged their shoulders and said, "Not our problem".....

He ended up reporting it to a Miami/Dade LEO patrolling the airport.
    Must of joined the Fast and Furious guns in Mexico being used in drug related cartel murders of innocent people.

side note:
    When you declare a firearm the suitcase must be locked and your not to give the key to anyone (including TSA) therefore nobody can open your case without you there.

I have a friend that carrys 3 suitcases for work, each has a $12 flair gun in it (declared) so they can't search without him there (legally)

He does get harrased about putting one in each case instead of all in the same case.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...and-ammunition

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/artic...-firearms.aspx

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/

This is it. And my favorite story of his that has me looking for one of these awesome boxes to this day.

Orlando (Used to live in Allegheny County), Florida

Having traveled a number of times, here's how I go at it:

1. Review http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1666.shtm to understand TSA policies and procedures. Have a copy with you when you reach the airport.
    2. Put the unloaded weapon(s) in a lockable hard-sided case with locks only you have the keys/combination to open. TSA locks are not allowed.
    3. Steps that will make it easier to show that the weapon is unloaded - especially when x-rayed.
      • If the weapon is a:
        • semi-automatic
          • lock the slide open
          • put a cable tie through the barrel and out the breach to show that the chamber is empty
        • revolver, flip the cylinder out
      • Do not put the magazines in this locked case with the gun(s):
        • it invites questions about them being loaded
        • if the gun case is "liberated" from the checked bag by a Criminal Entrepreneur, the lack of magazines frustrates the "Liberator", since the weapon is now initially a single shot one
    4. Check the airline(s) you are flying on:
      • To determine if the ammo
        • MUST be in boxes (plastic reload boxes work)
        • can fly in loaded magazines
      • If loaded magazines are permitted, make sure the pouches fully cover the magazine top where the cartridges are visible.
      • The round(s) from the chamber(s)/cylinder(s) must be in a box, not loose
    5. Secure and protect magazines (separately from the weapon) and ammunition boxes from possible damage.
    6. Put the lockable hard-sided case with the weapon and the ammo/magazines into a cheap, non-descript bag - with clear labeling outside and inside - for checking in.
      • If possible, develop a way to attach - in a lockable way - the hard-sided case to the piece of luggage it has been placed into.
      • The labeling should be limited to:
        • Your Name
        • Your Cell Phone - if you have one, or your home phone if you do not
        • Your personal email address - if you have one
        • NO ADDRESSES, JOB TITLES, ORGANIZATIONS SHOULD BE INDICATED
    7. Other stuff - like shampoo, mouthwash, toothpaste, etc, could be in this checked bag also.
    8. Have the rules for the airline in hand when you check this non-descript bag at the airport.
    9. Make sure you have the keys/combinations to the lockable hard-sided case with you and you alone (Per Federal Regulations 49CFR § 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals - http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...2.10.6&idno=49) at all times. You will have to open the lockable hard-side case:
      • to demonstrate to the airline that the weapon(s) are not loaded at check in (a signed form/tag indicating that will go in with the weapon(s))
      • if the TSA wants to see
    10. Have the serial number(s) and descriptions of your weapons on you, so if they "disappear" you can report the loss/theft immediately to the:
      • airline - NOTE Some airlines - Delta and US Air being 2 - now allow you to track your checked luggage on your I-Phone/Android if you are a Frequent Flier
      • FAA Regional Office
      • ATF Regional Office

Other things to consider:

1. Check www.handgunlaw.us and/or http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html to determine:
      • If you can possess the weapon at all your stops
      • Where and how you can carry at all your stops
      • What are the deadly force rules in each state you are visiting
    2. Have a copy of the Don Young Transportation Letter on hand - http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/doj_doc_nyc_air.pdf. This covers changing modes of travel - car to plane to car - in a single journey.
    3. AMTRAK (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1248542758975) is similar to airlines. Key differences include:
      • You must notify the departing station 24 hours before departure.
      • There must be baggage handling of checked baggage at both ends of your trip.
      • Ammunition must be boxed.
    George H. Foster - Orlando, Florida (Formerly Allegheny County)

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ludedude1992 View Post
    Ironically enough I travel to Florida about twice a year. Last year I had a gun stolen. What a mess. Pretty much got told the same thing as the poster above mentioned. What I did was bought a cheap hi point 9mm and use it as my travel gun. :-)
    Did you fly out of Philly and into Miami like paridgerunner?

I wonder if there is a lot of this going on in Philly or Miami.