Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Blair County)

Default Sportsman's Warehouse

In March I decided to purchase another pistol (which I have not purchased yet).

One of the pistols I am considering is a Desert Eagle (the baby eagle in 9mm).

The following prices were all obtained from Sportsman's Warehouse stores in their respective states.

The price of a baby eagle in PA is $566.00.
    The price in Oregon is $469.00.
    The price in Vancouver, WA is $360.00.

They were all NEW pistols and no "sale" prices were involved.

I will add that I personally called Sportsman's Warehouse in PA and in Oregon. Another fellow drove to the Sportsman's Warehouse in WA and left me know what he found out.

Again, these prices ALL came from Sportsman's Warehouse!

Why such a great difference in price? I honestly do not understand.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Sportsman's Warehouse

Quote Originally Posted by Jailkeeper View Post
    Why such a great difference in price? I honestly do not understand.
    bcause that is where the supply and demand curves intersect in those specific areas...or at least, that's where SW thinks they intersect.

there are generally two decisions that go into pricing:

1. how much will people pay for it? (how many can i sell at price $XXX vs. how many can i sell at price $YYY?)

2. how much does it cost me to sell it?

the answers to both of those questions can vary greatly from place to place. that's why, for example, homes in some parts of california sell for many, many times the amount the same home would sell for in rural PA.

there may be more demand for the baby eagles around here, so the SW can charge more and still sell the same quanity. so, they charge more to make more profit.

there also may be a higher cost of doing business around here. maybe they have to pay higher taxes around here...they may have to pay more for labor (maybe around here customers expect the guy behind the gun counter to actually know what he is talking about so they have to pay more to higher an actual knowledgeable "gun guy" isntead of some random high school drop out).

so, the cost of doing business might be hire, so they have to charge more to make the same profit.

as a busines owner, i will say that pricing decisions are some of the hardest business decisions to make. there is a lot of data (and generally data you want, but don't have)...as well as a lot of conjecture...that goes into it. often, it is nothing more than an educated guess that you have to revise as you see how the market reacts to it.

anyway, as you can prolly tell, it is hard to say exactly why this particular gun is priced at different levels at these particular locations. but, it is not at all an unusual circumstance...and not only for guns. that's just the way a free market works.
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; April 20th, 2008 at 11:30 AM.