Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry Dude, I've been wanting to ask for a long time, can I see your gun?

*points to gun* You can see it from right there.

The person walks away hastily as I say, "guns aren't something to be cool about, especially when its loaded". He didn't say a word after he walked away. The person is an employee at one of the local stores who sees me shopping often, I really wanted to stop him then give him an earful.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Dude, I've been wanting to ask for a long time, can I see your gun?

Hmm, a little gruff, but passable.

Personally, I prefer something along the lines of;
    "Hey, thanks for noticing. Sorry, I cant draw it around all these people for you, might draw too much attention, but its a [manf./model] in [caliber]."

Possibly continue to give your thoughts on your weapon, or possibly talk about them getting into shooting, or the local laws. Closing with "Oh by the way, if your ever curious about someones sidearm, dont be afraid to ask, but beeter would be "May I ask you what youre carrying?", as it comes off as more responisble."

Ill email you the receipt for the $0.02.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by gunperson003 View Post
    *points to gun* You can see it from right there.

The person walks away hastily as I say, "guns aren't something to be cool about, especially when its loaded". He didn't say a word after he walked away. The person is an employee at one of the local stores who sees me shopping often, I really wanted to stop him then give him an earful.
    Forgive me but I do not understand you wanting to "give him an earful".

This past Friday a co-worker & I went to a local auto parts store. I knew the fellow behind the counter carries, so I said, "What do you carry?". 3 minutes later I was examining his Russian auto while he was examining my revolver. We both unloaded our pistols before exchanging them.

You may have missed the opportunity to discuss pistols with a fellow shooter.

If the person was too young to carry I have these thoughts to offer...

Two years ago I met a polite young man at a local range. He was not old enough to own a handgun. Turns out he saves his allowance to purchase ammo for his rifle and his mother takes him to the range once or twice a week during the summer months.

I found out later that his dad passed away a while back. And that his dad used to shoot skeet with a very close friend of mine.

All I am saying is that when someone asks me about my pistol(s) I try to take time to talk to him (or her). That person may be very interested in handguns and in the sport of shooting.

If we shun someone who asks about our pistols we may give them the impression that everyone who carries is arrogant or smug.

I am not suggesting that you should have whipped out your loaded pistol and handed it to him.

I am saying that we MUST consider the thoughts & feelings of the people we meet. You could have explained that it would not have been safe nor appreciated if you showed him your pistol at that time.

(Warren County)

I'd love to show you my pistol, but this is hardly the situation to pull it out. It's a *make/model/caliber*.

I like to go shooting at (insert range here) and would gladly show you there. Maybe we can go shooting and you can check it out.

I see no need for hostility or degrading comments from either party in that situation. Take a few guns to the range and spur his curiosity and give him proper teaching. Where's the problem? lol
    Zone1
    My Glock does 1d6+3 dmg, but my 18 dex makes up for that...

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jailkeeper View Post
    Forgive me but I do not understand you wanting to "give him an earful".

This past Friday a co-worker & I went to a local auto parts store. I knew the fellow behind the counter carries, so I said, "What do you carry?". 3 minutes later I was examining his Russian auto while he was examining my revolver. We both unloaded our pistols before exchanging them.

You may have missed the opportunity to discuss pistols with a fellow shooter.

If the person was too young to carry I have these thoughts to offer...

Two years ago I met a polite young man at a local range. He was not old enough to own a handgun. Turns out he saves his allowance to purchase ammo for his rifle and his mother takes him to the range once or twice a week during the summer months.

I found out later that his dad passed away a while back. And that his dad used to shoot skeet with a very close friend of mine.

All I am saying is that when someone asks me about my pistol(s) I try to take time to talk to him (or her). That person may be very interested in handguns and in the sport of shooting.

If we shun someone who asks about our pistols we may give them the impression that everyone who carries is arrogant or smug.

I am not suggesting that you should have whipped out your loaded pistol and handed it to him.

I am saying that we MUST consider the thoughts & feelings of the people we meet. You could have explained that it would not have been safe nor appreciated if you showed him your pistol at that time.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinful View Post
    I'd love to show you my pistol, but this is hardly the situation to pull it out. It's a *make/model/caliber*.

I like to go shooting at (insert range here) and would gladly show you there. Maybe we can go shooting and you can check it out.

I see no need for hostility or degrading comments from either party in that situation. Take a few guns to the range and spur his curiosity and give him proper teaching. Where's the problem? lol
    These guys hit it dead on ......... You'll get farther in life being a nice guy. It's never bad making a new friend.
    The original point and click interface was a Colt Peacemaker!

(Delaware County)

..... can ya hear the echo in here?

"Hey dude thanks for asking but I'm afraid it's not cool pulling out a loaded gun in a public place, unless you intend to use it of course, but since you asked it's a make/model/caliber."

We as gun owners need not shut out the curious but tell them in a friendly way something like what I've typed above. We should show ourselves as friendly helpful people, as such we paint less of a red-neck gun totin' idiot of ourselves.

The more folks see us in a positive light the better.

Just my opinion of course.

Bill

Not sure why there is a need to tell someone off. You may have just turned a potential convert to guns, shooting, and the shooting sports off forever, and created an anti.

I talk about, show off, and invite to handle my guns when feasible anyone who shows even a faint glimmer of interest. We need people on our side. Carrying for defense aside, shooting sports are in danger of dying, and we need people on the range. I preach the gospel every chance we'd get.

If someone known to me, such as an employee at a store that I see all the time, says "Cool, I'd like to touch your gun" I'd first make sure they are referring to my firearm, find a discrete place (perhaps the inside of my car), unload, give them a safety briefing (don't point this thing anywhere but at the floor of my car, and keep it down so we don't freak someone out) and let them check it out.

We need every convert we can get. Guns are a symbol of power, a mystery to many, and being allowed to actually TOUCH one can be an awe-inspiring experience for the uninitiated. That can win us converts, even if it's just some kid stocking shelves who can barely afford a box of .22 ammo once a month. He/she is STILL now someone who is on our side.
    Last edited by JoeWilliams; April 20th, 2008 at 08:49 AM.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    ..... can ya hear the echo in here?

"Hey dude thanks for asking but I'm afraid it's not cool pulling out a loaded gun in a public place, unless you intend to use it of course, but since you asked it's a make/model/caliber."

We as gun owners need not shut out the curious but tell them in a friendly way something like what I've typed above. We should show ourselves as friendly helpful people, as such we paint less of a red-neck gun totin' idiot of ourselves.

The more folks see us in a positive light the better.

Just my opinion of course.

Bill

Absolutely true. Ed

(Lackawanna County)

I'm with Sinful and Sober here.

Be the good ambassador.
    Gary in Pennsylvania
    -------------------------------
    “No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt
    “Argue For Your Limitations……And Sure Enough, They’re Yours.” Messiah's Handbook
    “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates 399BC

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary in Pennsylvania View Post

Be the good ambassador.
    Ah the old Good ambassador, bad ambassador game......I'm always the good ambassador can I play the bad one this time ?

All joking aside, I've introduced people to shooting, and I will continue to do so because that is one more person who knows its just another thing (and that if you want to target babies and defenseless baby bunnies the person behind the gun has to point the gun that way).

I'd say half of the encounters have been like that though where someone has come up to me and asked me about a gun, or at the range what I'm shooting.
    Probably close to a month ago I let a little guy saddle up behind my CZ-52 (once I explained to his dad what it was and made sure it was ok with him). That kid got the classic shit eatin' grin
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast