Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Question As an NJ Resident, can't I buy NJ-compliant Long-Guns in PA? FFL says no?

*EDIT* - Called another FFL. Perfectly legal, there is an NJ specific form. DONE. close thread.

Hi all.

Long story short --> Looking for an FFL near Philadelphia to transfer two NJ-compliant long-guns (shotguns, 870 clones) to me. I am now an NJ Resident with FPID, COE, and DL. I thought this wasn't a problem, but so far I've had one FFL tell me that it is illegal/playing with fire.

I made the purchase online, but the seller won't ship to NJ due to policy... but will ship to PA (probably DE too).

Anyone know of some one who will do the transfer? It IS legal, right?
    Last edited by phoenix_iii; May 15th, 2013 at 08:35 AM.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: As an NJ Resident, can't I buy NJ-compliant Long-Guns in PA? FFL says no?

I'm admittedly not well-read about this, but the following quote from an ATF FAQ makes me think that what you describe should be legal so long as NJ and PA don't prohibit it.

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]
    (emphasis added)
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Chester County)

Default Re: As an NJ Resident, can't I buy NJ-compliant Long-Guns in PA? FFL says no?

I just called another FFL and they said yes, no problem, just use the NJ specific form. So I can close this thread.

(Cumberland County)

Information that may help others...

I was the middle man for a gunbroker sale for my mom in NJ. The gun she wanted was coming out of Ohio. Mom's not too comfortable buying things on-line, and even less comfortable dealing with interstate gun laws and transfers- especially considering that she lives in NJ.

Definitions (for clarity below):
    - sender: the FFL in possession of the gun to be transferred
    - receiver: the FFL who will receive the gun and complete the transfer

NJ is not like PA where they pass around FFLs like baseball cards. NJ has a state specific form that the sender must request, complete, and return to the receiver requesting a copy of the receiver's FFL. Once that is taken care of, it is no different than any other interstate transfer.

It's a system that only a libtard could love - fill out a form to request the form you actually need.

(BWT, she picked up a factory re-furbished Sig 239 for $550)
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

If you purchase your rifle in PA you can pick it up yourself in PA and bring it home the same day after a PA check on your status as long as you have a NJ Firearms Purchasers ID with a NJ Drivers License to match your NJ home Address. Doesn't make any sense to send your rifle to a FFL in your state. You can save that cost involved. You are still going to need your NJ Purchasers ID for the NJ FFL dealer and the NICS check in NJ is now at least a 2 week wait plus once you go to your FFL for pickup. Trust me I just went through it here in NJ recently with a new NJ compliant AR purchase from a NJ Gun Dealer. PA does a instant check while you wait just like NJ use to do. Right now I plan on making my next purchase in PA since I feel liberal NJ is wrong in their thinking hurting NJ business in the process.

Bottom line anyone being a NJ resident needs to have a clean record to get a NJ Firearms Purchasers ID. If you don't have one there is also a 2 month wait for the ID now from what I understand. You need to go to you local Police Department to fill out the paperwork and will need to be fingerprinted and then the long wait to get it back approved. NJ has some of the strictest gun laws in the nation. I feel they went overboard here when just across the river in PA all one needs is to be a PA resident and be of age to purchase a firearm.
    Last edited by ffas23; May 16th, 2013 at 03:46 AM.