Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default NYS resident with a PA LTCF.

Greetings.

I'm a newbie to this site. I'm a former PA resident with a PA LTCF. I moved to NYS last year for a better business opportunity and a great deal on property, mind you I live less than 2 miles from the PA border. I recently applied for my NYS pistol permit after jumping through so many hoops over the last 10 months to make any person go insane. It will be about a good 4-8 months before I receive my permit for NY. My PA LTCF has my old PA address on it. My question is is my PA LTCF still valid or is it invalid because I currently don't have a CCW from my home state? I've been getting so much misleading information on this. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: NYS resident with a PA LTCF.

Move back to PA, problem solved.

In all seriousness, I'm not sure if your PA LTCF is valid as you are not a resident of the state and don't currently posses a ny permit. Not sure if you'd have to surrender current ltcf and apply as a non-resident once you get your ny permit. It appears the law says shall not issue if you don't have the ny permit, but you already have the LTCF for pa.

While waiting for an answer from somone more knowledgeable than myself, check the law section of this web site, that's where I'm headed to look for an answer for you.

Good question, I'll await other responses.
    Last edited by Cfurlo; May 13th, 2013 at 09:08 PM.

(Susquehanna County)

I did the same thing as you before moving back to PA. I'm assuming you are not in Broome County as 4-8 months to get your permit is unrealistic. Broome/Tioga counties require you to be a county resident for 3 years before even issuing your restricted permit.

I have family in the Scranton area and when in PA CC'd and OC'd like I never left. [IANAL] But I don't believe your permit is valid anymore though since you no longer meet the terms of the permit not a PA resident and you don't have the unrestricted permit of NYS.
    Stay armed my friends.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by wrangler1120 View Post
    I did the same thing as you before moving back to PA. I'm assuming you are not in Broome County as 4-8 months to get your permit is unrealistic. Broome/Tioga counties require you to be a county resident for 3 years before even issuing your restricted permit.

I have family in the Scranton area and when in PA CC'd and OC'd like I never left. [IANAL] But I don't believe your permit is valid anymore though since you no longer meet the terms of the permit not a PA resident and you don't have the unrestricted permit of NYS.
    PA does not have separate permits for residents and nonresidents, so being or not being a PA resident doesn't directly affect whether you "meet the terms of the permit". Deadpan got it right that the LTCF is good until expiration unless sooner revoked, and that the sheriff is required to revoke upon learning of ineligibility.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses

(e) Issuance of license.--
    (1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:
    (ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).

(i) Revocation.--
    A license to carry firearms may be revoked by the issuing authority for good cause. A license to carry firearms shall be revoked by the issuing authority for any reason stated in subsection (e)(1) which occurs during the term of the permit.
    (Emphasis added.)
    Last edited by twency; May 17th, 2013 at 05:25 PM. Reason: grammar
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    PA does not have separate permits for residents and nonresidents, so being or not being a PA resident doesn't directly affect whether you "meet the terms of the permit". Deadpan got it right that the LTCF is good until expiration until sooner revoked, and that the sheriff is required to revoke upon learning of ineligibility.

(Emphasis added.)
    So as long as you don't call in a change of address you're good to go. :-)

It's very common for waivers to be issued for this, as it's pretty unrealistic to expect someone moving to the area to store their pistols out of state for 3 years.

It's also very common for the judge to send the sheriff to your door to "check your serial numbers" after you apply for such a waiver. They are fishing to see if you will show them your pistols so they can charge you with illegal possession and confiscate your firearms.

NYS is a piece of shit.

I don't know NYS law, but I'm assuming it is probably pretty similar to NJ. If it is, then it doesn't matter if your PA LTCF is valid or not, you would not legally be allowed to travel in NYS with a loaded firearm, even if your destination is PA, because you are a NYS resident. Therefore you are violating NYS law everytime you head into/return from PA with a firearm.

Also, unless you are carrying a 1911, pocket pistol, or revolver, any gun that you would want to carry in PA likely violates the NY SAFE Act requirement of no more than 7 rounds in a firearm.

Actually. I'm in Tioga County NY. And according to their sheriffs office, you have to be a resident of Tioga County for 6 months before you even can apply for a pistol permit. Broome County is 3 years. My firearms are currently in PA in a safe until I can legally acquire a NYS permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Subverto View Post
    I don't know NYS law, but I'm assuming it is probably pretty similar to NJ. If it is, then it doesn't matter if your PA LTCF is valid or not, you would not legally be allowed to travel in NYS with a loaded firearm, even if your destination is PA, because you are a NYS resident. Therefore you are violating NYS law everytime you head into/return from PA with a firearm.

Also, unless you are carrying a 1911, pocket pistol, or revolver, any gun that you would want to carry in PA likely violates the NY SAFE Act requirement of no more than 7 rounds in a firearm.
    Firearms are currently locked in a safe and stored in PA. That's already covered. You can have a 10 round magazine but it can only contain 7 rounds in the magazine. More than 7 rounds violates the NY SAFE Act.

Thanks guys for all the valuable information. It appears I'll have to go through the whole process over again. One step at a time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast