Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Venango County)

Default A/V at firearms check in at court house?

I know in PA you are allowed to record Officers during offical duties because there is no assumption of privacy. Does this include the security check points in courthouses? I ask this being that I have business in the courthouse and the last time I was there was told "If you dont show me your LTCF you are not going to use the lockers and aren't coming into the building!" Being that I OC i leave my LCTF in my center console of my truck, was forced to walk back down the hill to get it, upon reentry firearm was taken by an deputy that was unfamiliar with a 1911 action and muzzle swept about 3 to 4 other people trying to clear the round. After i talked mr fife thru it he then handed my property to the second deputy at which point he pics up the phone and calls to run the serial number, to which i say i do not consent to a search of my property, and receive the same " you will or else you wont get in the building response!" This is not exceptable behavior from public officials to me and want evidence to provide with the compliant.

Also what if security lockers are not provided does it violate the law to carry there if it is a prohibited place? The sherrifs office is in a seperate building and they do not have lockers there as required by the laws.

THANKS IN ADVANCE,
    Allen
    Last edited by allen16323; May 13th, 2013 at 11:01 AM.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: A/V at firearms check in at court house?

Technically they can probably get away with making you show your license because the way the law is written states something to the affect that the lockers be available for people carrying under section 6109 (licensing statute).

(Berks County)

Courts are public places so there shouldn't be an issue with recording.

IANAL
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by allen16323 View Post

Also what if security lockers are not provided does it violate the law to carry there if it is a prohibited place? The sherrifs office is in a seperate building and they do not have lockers there as required by the laws.

THANKS IN ADVANCE,
    Allen
    I'll answer the easier part of your question. 18 Pa.C.S. § 913 provides no exception for situations where lockers are not provided. You would still be breaking the law by knowingly carrying in a prohibited place.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Make an appointment with the sheriff to discuss these issues.

(Venango County)

I did with the previous time and didnt even make to the sherriff got "our deputies are more professional than that" and was pretty much dismissed.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by allen16323 View Post
    Also what if security lockers are not provided? Does it violate the law to carry there if it is a prohibited place? The sheriff's office is in a separate building and they do not have lockers there as required by the laws.
    If you carry where you know it's prohibited by law, then you are breaking the law.

If they do not have lockers as specified by law, they are breaking the law.

Write a letter to the County Commissioners, provide them with a copy of 18 Pa. C.S. 913, subsections (d) and (e), and (f) regarding the definition of a "court facility." If the Sheriff's Office is located in a separate building, then the County Commissioners have to provide separate storage facilities for that building. By law, one separate storage facility doesn't cut it for multiple buildings.

http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...ourt-facility/