Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Moving to Upper Bucks, Questions.

Quote Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
    Really? BTW I have zero interest in living in the borough or any other boroughs or developments. The 4 properties I am looking at either have no neighbors or they are far enough away. One of my requirements is I can't see more than 2 houses in the dead of winter. That and a basement, 2+acres, 2+ car garage.
    Yes really, Ive spent my entire life within the borough and cant wait to get out, once i get a little further established with the company i am with.

The education is shit, and i learned more by teaching myself than within the district. When i got to college i couldnt hack math at all due to the stupid math program that was brought into the district by the company pushing probably paying off a lot of higher ups to accept it (I dont think this math program is still in place after it screwed a shit ton of people over)

The district was more worried about standardized test scores to get funding than actually teaching their students material needed to succeed in higher education. So many teachers in this district are not inspiring or really care for their job its just a paycheck to them and really see that now after being able to reflect on 18+ years of being through the system...their best interest are their own and not the education of your child...

I am sorry to all the parents who think their kid is getting a good education in quakertown district, but its far from the truth. When i got to college i was so far behind in my sciences and math it was crazy compared to other kids from mainly SE PA (lower bucks school districts)...

I was a 3.8 GPA student, took college courses in Highscool and AP courses so please dont attack me saying it was me...no it was def the school district and the teachers within.

One of the highest paid school districts in the area you would think would equate to better education.

As far as the "bad" student population you're going to get that everywhere...and its really comes down to how YOU raise and teach your kids morals and etc at home. Quakertown is thriving with narcotics but so is every town on the outskirts of philly...

As long as you plan on staying outside of the borough you should be MUCH BETTER off, pallisades schooling i dont know to much about, I cant see it being better than quakertown, nor worse...

Just want to give it to you straight here and not sugar coat this town like it sounds like others may sort have been doing

edit: Maybe I just expect to much, but is it really to much to expect here considering the taxes we are paying and the salaries of these teachers within the district? The borough policies and monopoly of electric and trash service choices which equates to higher paid services and not dick we can do about it, and vote for what the better of two evils?

What i think a lot of people dont realize is that when these big box stores come in the tax burden is on US. Yes they have to give a little back to the community but the services needed to care for the extra roads built and maintenance and extra police needed, extra this needed and that... well thats ALL ON US and our planning in this town is garbage!!!
    Last edited by Svickstc; May 12th, 2013 at 12:19 PM.

(Bucks County)

I'm not sugar-coating anything. Twelve yrs ago, I moved my family of (then) six up here. I can tell you how it's changed here since then, good and bad. Is it perfect? of course not. Is it as bad as the above poster? certainly not.
    You have to decide what is best for you, and I applaud you for wanting to get your family away from the ever-increasing thug population that is in lower bucks. What we have here is some wanna-be thugs, but nothing like down there.
    Living in the borough is not for everyone, but for us I think we made the right decision. We watch 4th of July fireworks from our rear deck, walk everywhere including my kids baseball/football games and Quakertown pool, have Halloween parade come down our street. When it snows, our road (W.Broad or Rt 313) is plowed first. Power outages are also quickly restored.
    I belong to a gun range three miles from my house, and another 5 miles. Turnpike entrance is 5 min away. The borough is not perfect, but it's not like we are living on Rt 309 with all that commercial traffic either, but close enough to utilize it when we need to.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    Ok, but this discussion is about moving to Quakertown so those would not be an option.

Seriously, I grew up and went to school in Philly so I know a few things about bad areas and bad schools. Anywhere you pick to live around here would not even come close. I walk the 'bad areas' here with my 6 year old all of the time. Even she laughs at our local 'thugs'.

I also grew up making fun of the cow towns around here. But it's really not bad and we like it a lot. Along with Mr. Sparxs, I would be happy to welcome you and help with whatever you need.
    It's not about moving to Quakertown it is about Upper Bucks. The houses I am looking at 1 is in Quakertown Comm. 2 are in Palisades and 1 is Central Bucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparxfly72 View Post
    I'm not sugar-coating anything. Twelve yrs ago, I moved my family of (then) six up here. I can tell you how it's changed here since then, good and bad. Is it perfect? of course not. Is it as bad as the above poster? certainly not.
    You have to decide what is best for you, and I applaud you for wanting to get your family away from the ever-increasing thug population that is in lower bucks. What we have here is some wanna-be thugs, but nothing like down there.
    Living in the borough is not for everyone, but for us I think we made the right decision. We watch 4th of July fireworks from our rear deck, walk everywhere including my kids baseball/football games and Quakertown pool, have Halloween parade come down our street. When it snows, our road (W.Broad or Rt 313) is plowed first. Power outages are also quickly restored.
    I belong to a gun range three miles from my house, and another 5 miles. Turnpike entrance is 5 min away. The borough is not perfect, but it's not like we are living on Rt 309 with all that commercial traffic either, but close enough to utilize it when we need to.

There is some beautiful houses in the borough but I just want the space and land and quiet. In fact I love this house and it is very tempting. http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...7-04768#SendFc

I just want a little land to farm and no neighbors or as little as possible. Where I live is nice and my mortgage is tiny. If I'm going to take on the commute and re-up my mortgage I want a park like setting and a tractor and possible a duck pond. The one house I'm looking at in Quakertown Comm is in Haycock twp I just want ot make sure Quakertown isn't ghetto. I really don't know the area. Philly2d has lived down here and experienced both. I don't know where you moved from. Lets put it this way. I consider Warminster Ghetto as I do Bristol and Morrisville and Neshaminy some what.

p.s If I bring the beer can we come over and watch the fireworks?
    Last edited by 7998; May 12th, 2013 at 12:58 PM.
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
    There is some beautiful houses in the borough but I just want the space and land and quiet. In fact I love this house and it is very tempting. http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...7-04768#SendFc

I just want a little land to farm and no neighbors or as little as possible. Where I live is nice and my mortgage is tiny. If I'm going to take on the commute and re-up my mortgage I want a park like setting and a tractor and possible a duck pond. The one house I'm looking at in Quakertown Comm is in Haycock twp I just want ot make sure Quakertown isn't ghetto. I really don't know the area. Philly2d has lived down here and experienced both. I don't know where you moved from. Lets put it this way. I consider Warminster Ghetto as I do Bristol and Morrisville and Neshaminy some what.

p.s If I bring the beer can we come over and watch the fireworks?
    That house is right up the street, so it's in the borough. Warminster is more ghetto now than when I grew up in it, but still not like Bristol. THAT'S North North Philly. Some weekend if you want, come on up. Take you on a tour, go to the range and shoot some, then grab a beer or two.
    As for fireworks, sure thing. We laugh at the HUGE crowds and unbelievable traffic for an hr afterwards. The cool thing that day is that first thing when I get up, I walk to the car show. Then Quakertown day in the park. Our backyard ends with the crick that separates it from the park where a gazillion ppl sit and watch fireworks. The next day, there's ppl with metal detectors looking for treasure.

Ok enough about school districts, my son is on the Honor Roll and probably will be no matter where he goes. What is the deal with gun ranges on your property? Is it a township to township thing? Do you need a certain amount of property? Any specs on how thick or high the back stop has to be?

Also what about garbage? How much is it and how much can you throw out there?
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

(Bucks County)

Can't help you with the gun ranges on your property thing. I'm in borough and that would draw some serious police attention. I know of ppl further down towards Nockamixon Lake who shoot on their property though. Trash service is, I believe, $60 a quarter and you can put out a good amount each week, and every few weeks they accept big stuff(couches, furniture etc)

(Bucks County)

Well maybe being that I have lived here for 24 years my view point differs quite differently from someone moving from another area?

Either way the OP asked about schooling within the district and I gave it to him straight, and elaborated on how shitty living in the borough is with the POLICIES (not that the town is not a nice place to raise a family, it is for sure a lot of sports, ammenities, cultural/historic events held, park/community days etc)

Just the taxes/traffic/mass amount of stores uneeded that puts the burden on us the tax payer, about the monopoly of electic and trash service, etc. The superfund site out towards California Rd. that effects water supply with arsenic (just trying to give the man full disclosure here) considering it takes 15 mins to get from one side of town to the other and if you know anything about the borough lines its FREAKING SMALL when 10 years ago it was nothing...quakertown really needs a bypass but will never get one due to the poor planning i touched on earlier...

As far as discharge ordinance none is allowed with the borough...

Like i said before stay outside the borough you are 100% better off, and much nicer properties outside...

Like i said youd be shocked at the actual borough limits so take a look at a cadestral map of the area and make sure you stay out

As far as haycock ordinance for discharge i believe they vary, but have had PSP show up at a buddies house a couple times for shooting on the property...so i bet its not allowed *This was years back*

(Bucks County)

Holy shit. We heard you, the FIRST time. Second time, we get what you are trying to convey. Jesus H. F'n ******, the third time it's f'n OBNOXIOUS! Do you ALWAYS feel it necessary to beat your point of view into the ground?
    Last edited by Sparxfly72; May 18th, 2013 at 10:33 PM.

Ok thread back on topic. Does anyone know about the range in your yard? Also where are the good bars and restraunts?

(Bucks County)

Holy shit. We heard you, the FIRST time. Second time, we get what you are trying to convey. Jesus H. F'n ******, the third time it's f'n OBNOXIOUS! Do you ALWAYS feel it necessary to beat your point of view into the ground?
    Classy guy, real classy

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast