Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cambria County)

Default First Impressions of the Tactical Tailor Flight Light Plate Carrier / PICS ADDED

Well, I decided to purchase some body armor. For those "just in case" moments. And after a lot of research, I had narrowed it down to two different carriers. Both are very well made, well thought out, but they weren't cheap.

Then by chance I clicked on the Tactical Tailor website and they were having a 7 day sale. Not a small sale a big sale. In fact, everything made by Tactical Tailor was 35% off. With that kind of savings. I opted to go ahead and purchase the Flight Light Carrier that was one of the two I had narrowed my choices down too.

I got it in the mail just 5 days after ordering it. So, they don't mess around when it comes time to mail them out.

I got the carrier out and started checking it out. The more I looked at and played with it, the more I liked about it.

It is very well made. The adjustments on the carrier are really slick and different from most carriers. The side adjustments are on the sides, make it very easy to adjust to fit just right. Most carriers adjust in the back or on the chest. Yet, they are double, even triple clamp the entire thing down, so it isn't going to move once you get it adjusted.

Shoulder straps are mounted behind the plate carriers in the front, keeping the straps close to your body. Also allows the straps to hug the body, so they aren't in your way when shouldering your rifle. There were nice padded straps that velcro onto the shoulder straps so you can move them to where they will do the most good, and they also have loops for hoses from a hydration system built into them. The shoulder pads are made with material that is not only padded, but designed to let them breath. Large buckles mounted on the back of the straps are out of the way, and covered by easy to operate buckles that are very heavy duty.

Side straps have buckles that again are covered by material that velcro shut, but are easy to open to get the carrier off. Yet, the velcro covers have molle mounts on them, so they are a useful space to hang stuff you want to be able to reach. The side buckles make it very easy to get the carrier off in an emergency, or, when just putting it on and taking it off when using it.

It comes with a side carrier that my 6x9 plates fit into perfectly. Once in place, they were totally hidden and covered by the pocket they were in. There is flap that goes over the plates and velcros down to hold the plates in, but the plates are totally inside the pocket and fit very snugly. They aren't going anywhere. These pockets are then adjustable up and down on the side strap allowing you to put them where you want them for best coverage and comfort. There is also a pocket in this side pockets, but with plates in them, you would never get anything in them. Without the plates, you would have a nice stash pocket that velcro shuts. There is molle attachments on the sides of this side pocket carrier giving you more places to mount stuff. The side pockets are also padded and designed to not only provide a comfortable fit, but to allow the pockets to breath.

The carrier is sold by the size plates that you are using. I got the large since it was made to fit the plates I had. They fit very nicely inside the carrier and are held in place by a heavy duty flap that velcros shut tightly. The large plates fit nicely and there is no play at all. Once installed they won't move around at all. No matter how much you bend around.

The inside of the carrier is where it really stands out. It has various padding built into both sides, front and back. These hold the plates off your body, allowing air to move thru, and even the padding has slots to allow more air to flow thru. These not only make the carrier more comfortable and help it to breath, but act as padding to help absorb impacts that the plates may take. They claim that the padding allows you to wear the vest tightly giving you more of an athletic fit, allowing you to move more naturally.

So far I am truly impressed with this carrier. No shortcuts appear to have been taken. In fact, they went above and beyond in the construction.

I also ordered two Tactical Tailor mag pouches. Again, these got really good reviews online from numerous sights. I mounted them to the front of the carrier and they fit nicely on the front of the carrier.

As for the sale, I really made out like a bandit on it. I not only got the carrier, but two double mag pouch carriers for less than the carrier alone cost normally. I got a top notch carrier that fits great and feels good while wearing it. It may have cost more than some carriers out there. But my first impressions of it, are that the money was well spent.

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/fightl...tecarrier.aspx
    Last edited by Mtbkski; May 11th, 2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: edit in bold. Disovered somethign else new
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: First Impressions of the Tactical Tailor Flight Light Plate Carrier

Is your primary an AK or an AR?

Those are 5.56 AR pouches.

IME trying to use AR pouches double duty with AK mags will most likely result in a lot of slow mag changes.

I was certain you were rocking a set of AK's. Or did you change?

(Cambria County)

Pics and explanations of what each pic is are.

Front plate carrier with the Tactical Tailor Mag Pouches on it.

Front and back of carrier with the side plate carrier.

Side carrier removed. This is how you adjust the side adjustment. Very secure. Won't budge once you snug it down.

Side plate carrier with plate beside it. Plate fits perfectly and is snugged down with a flap that velcros on the inside. The side plate carrier is then slid over the velcro and you press down on the velcro. Once snugged down. It is very solid and won't move.

Quick release buckle on the side that gives you quick access to getting the vest off and putting it on. There is a buckle on each side so you can release it from either side.

Back plate carrier with flap that holds plates inside of it. Also covers the back where you can adjust the sides.

The section of pointing to has a small section of stretchy material that allows for movement of the vest while keeping it snug.

Front plate carrier. Everything you see that is black is padded and has material designed to allow moisture to move thru it.

Back plate carrier. Again well padded. And sides have padding and moisture management in them if you wear it without the side plates.

You can see that there is a ton of padding and material made to move moiture. Even the side plate carrier is padded and designed to move moisture.
    Last edited by Mtbkski; May 11th, 2013 at 01:32 PM.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    Is your primary an AK or an AR?

Those are 5.56 AR pouches.

IME trying to use AR pouches double duty with AK mags will most likely result in a lot of slow mag changes.

I was certain you were rocking a set of AK's. Or did you change?
    I recently purchased an AR. So, when I ordered pouches, I got pouches for the AR. I have AK pouches that I can put on here also.