Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Carbon County)

Default taurus 991 tracker 22mag

does anyone own one? thoughts or concerns?

Default Re: taurus 991 tracker 22mag

I like it, but I like the Tracker series revolvers. They are well built and fairly priced for what they are. That's not saying you're getting a cheap gun for cheap money...it's a great gun for the price. Gunblast has a nice review of the 992 (same gun with .22lr cylinder, included). I've never shot (nor seen, for that matter) the 6.5" SS model, but I have shot a 4" SS one. It had no porting, yet it had very little recoil. Can't really say the muzzle blast was very little, but I suspect it would be less with the 6.5" model. Seems to be a desirable model.

These 990/991/992 Tracker series .22 cal revolvers have a rep for the cylinder jamming when the bores get dirty...in fact, it jams everything up. My Tracker .44 mag did the same thing after only 15 rounds, or so; so to the bore polisher it went. I noticed right away after polishing the bores that the cartridges 'fell' into the cylinder bores and they would still fall out upon extraction after 20 or 30 rounds. Getting through a whole box of 50 rds is pushing it, so having to swab the bores between every 5 or 6 cylinder fulls is a must to keep things from getting jammed up. I suspect the .22 mag is the same way. JFYI.

My Tracker .44 mag has held up much better than I expected for a small, compact magnum revolver. It's safe to say the 991 would hold up 10 times better.

BTW, I hope you can find one if you decide to get it. They are gone as soon as they come in to a LGS, here, and damn near everyone of them sell Taurus revolvers.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Carbon County)

thanks for the review, I did find a 4 inch stainless new, and the shop is holding it for me. I don't like the idea of the revolver locking up when it gets dirty, and I am not sure I find that acceptable. I did have a 94 once and never had that problem, not sure if this is something normal with the tracker?

Quote Originally Posted by kel ruger man View Post
    thanks for the review, I did find a 4 inch stainless new, and the shop is holding it for me. I don't like the idea of the revolver locking up when it gets dirty, and I am not sure I find that acceptable. I did have a 94 once and never had that problem, not sure if this is something normal with the tracker?
    It's not a problem with the gun, per se; it's just that when the bores start getting residue, it kicks the cartridges back against the breech under recoil and they won't fall back forward to let the cylinder rotate freely. it feels like the gun is all fucked up, but it isn't. It's just a matter of pushing the cartridges back forward enough for the cylinder to open. The polish job I did on mine solved the issue. It simply opened the bores ever so slightly.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Carbon County)

I know what you are saying, I just never had that problem with a revolver before.