Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default S&W 686-5 Trigger??

Are these pitols known for having super sweet triggers from the factory or what? Just got one used and it has the best trigger in SA of any pistol I have including my 1911. Wondering if it had some sort of trigger job done on it or if these revolvers come smooth and light as butter from the factory? Cant wait to get this baby to the range. Happy camper!!!

Default Re: S&W 686-5 Trigger??

Its been my experience that the older a smith, the better the trigger, and usually the non-stainless blued guns are slightly better than the SS guns. If its exceptionally smooth, it may have been shot alot and broken in better, or it could have had trigger work done. Most 686's I've shot had nice triggers, but not incredible.

S&W's usually have a really nice single action release. I have had a few that weren't quite up to par but S&W fixed them up for me.
    People used to refer to them as the "breaking like a glass rod" feel.
    "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus

(Dauphin County)

I picked up a 686-5 plus mountain gun a few months ago, it too had an incredible factory trigger. It was shot very little and I doubt it had a trigger job. That said, I do not recall a S&W revolver I shot that didn't have a good trigger

(Dauphin County)

Talking Re: S&W 686-5 Trigger??

I have a 629 classic and it has a nice trigger really nice, but it aint like this. I also have an airweight with the stupid lock in .38 special +p and it aint no where close. Maybe I just need to shoot more SA guns that have had nice trigger work done or maybe I need to shoot some older S&W revolvers. It is by far the sweetest trigger I own and I just got it today.

(Indiana County)

Many a gunsmith has made many a dollar over the years tuning up S&W's.

I'd bet yours was seen by a good smith at one point.

Older S&W triggers are usually pretty good out of the box, but many many were still tuned up.

(Dauphin County)

It was too good to be true. The super slick single action trigger was causing light strikes in DA...first thing I noticed was a filed down strain screw on the main spring. Replaced it but problem still persisted. Replaced main spring and the sock tension main spring was quite a bit different in shape than the one I replaced causing the light strikes. There was a bend on the old light main spring where there is no bend in the new stock tension main spring. Just replaced it and hope this corrects the problem. The trigger is heavier in DA so I hope this works. Single action is still crisp.

(Luzerne County)

I have several 686's. All have nice trigger pull. I also agree that the older ones are nicer.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Montgomery County)

A 686-5 is not really older, they were made around the year 2000. However, they did use MIM parts which are quite excellent as they are made. I have owned and shot a 686-5 and -6 as well as a 617-6 all with MIM parts and they had excellent trigger feedback, including in single action.

The way a smith revolver works, the single action trigger should be of superior quality to an auto like the 1911. The trigger and hammer are jammed together (so to speak) and the only thing needed to do is release the hammer to hit the firing pin...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!