Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Laura J. Doerr Memorial Park Preemption Violation

Its ok. I have broad shoulders. The road of progress is always alittle bumpy. But in the end the journey is worth it.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdean1545 View Post
    Its ok. I have broad shoulders. The road of progress is always alittle bumpy. But in the end the journey is worth it.
    +1 for making your voice heard

III% - Stand and be counted

(Butler County)

Thanks for making this known and getting it corrected. I live in northern Butler County and take my girls to Alameda Park in Butler quite frequently...CC while there. I know Alameda is in compliance w/ the UFA.

(Armstrong County)

Great job in getting this corrected. I'm in Armstrong and need to start paying more attention to the signs around me. Keep us posted about the article.

(Berks County)

Great job!....rep inbound for you!
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Butler County)

Here is the news article from the trib review. pretty much a neutral article

Park’s gun rule to change

Published: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
    Updated 10 hours ago

Jefferson Township is changing its ordinance restricting firearm possession in Laura Doerr Park after a gun owner informed officials that state law prohibits such limitations.

Pennsylvania's Uniform Firearms Act states that no county, municipality or township can regulate the legal ownership or possession of firearms in situations not prohibited by state law.

“Across the state, if you look, it is their constitutional right to bear arms,” said Jefferson Township Supervisor Lois Rankin. “We checked with the county and (our solicitor) and it's how our ordinance should read.”

Christopher Dean of Clinton Township, who has a permit to carry a concealed weapon and regularly visits the park with his wife and children, brought the matter to the township's attention.

He said for the last three years he's carried a pistol with him for personal protection and knows the state's gun laws.

The township will change the ordinance from a blanket firearms and weapons prohibition to one that reads: “No person other than an officer of the law shall discharge any weapon in the park except as may be permitted under state law.”

The township plans to vote on the revision on Aug. 13.

The current ordinance has been in place for many years, Rankin said. She said it's unlikely that anyone had been cited for carrying a gun in the park.

Township Solicitor Matt Marshall, of Dillon, McCandless, King, Coulter and Graham, said the township is simply trying to be consistent with state law.

Dean said he's happy with the township's decision. He added that the issue isn't about being permitted to carry a gun in a park, but about abiding by state law.

“There are probably other people in the community who will be upset with it because they don't feel the same as I do,” he said. But, ultimately, he said, his decision to carry a gun is about his family's safety.

“The police can't always be there right away and a couple of minutes can be a life-changer,” Dean said.

Jodi Weigand is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-226-4702 or jweigand@tribweb.com.

Read more: http://triblive.com/neighborhoods/yo...#ixzz2b0fYwwzU
    Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12