Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default General, all purpose binoculars

Who's got suggestions? I'm looking for something I can use to see maybe 100-200 yards at the max. I don't need night vision, FLIR, or something from Eraser where you can see a heartbeat through a wall. I just need something that I can use to see target from a distance to save me from walking back and forth and or that could also be stowed if I'm out in the wilderness. Budget being a key here. Maybe...$200 max? Smaller is preferred, too, so it's not taking up an entire compartment in my range bag. Links and/or advice greatly appreciated. Thanks, all!

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: General, all purpose binoculars

For almost exactly $200, I picked up a set a Nikon Monarch 10x42 on ebay. I watched a pretty good review of them on the YouTube channel "nutnfancy" when I was looking for a set. They are very clear, work well in low light, and are waterproof. I tested them while hunting in the rain and just before dark this past season. I'm very happy with them, and I'm not familiar with any others that compare for that price. If I get energetic, I'll search for that video and post the link.

ETA: Sorry, I missed the part about preferring a small pair - these may not be for you. They're about 5 inches long by 4 inches wide.
    Last edited by Holeshot121; May 6th, 2013 at 10:18 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Holeshot121 View Post
    ETA: Sorry, I missed the part about preferring a small pair - these may not be for you. They're about 5 inches long by 4 inches wide.
    Eeeh, they don't have to be but a smaller pair would be chosen over an equal larger pair. After all, I have the Midway bag which is like a small house to begin with.

(Lawrence County)

I've never had much luck reading targets at those distances with binoculars. If it were me I'd buy a pair of compact binoculars like these for packing: http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Power...culars+compact I been using that same pair for hunting for the past couple seasons and they work great. Then I'd spend the rest of the money on a spotting scope for range work. You can get a decent spotter for $100-$150 today. My buddy just bought this one a few months ago and like it a lot. http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Troph...spotting+scope

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by EB85 View Post
    Eeeh, they don't have to be but a smaller pair would be chosen over an equal larger pair. After all, I have the Midway bag which is like a small house to begin with.
    Not small but I keep a pair of Sightron SII 10x42s in my bag. One of the best $100 I've spent and they get used a lot. They work great at 100..decent at 200 depending on background and light. Past that it depends what your shooting at.
    Last edited by kpw; May 6th, 2013 at 11:06 PM.

have several pairs . i have a variable maybe 4 to 17 power. good for clear, presise spotting. a set of 12 power, small, compact, bushnell, for fast pickup at short or long vision, but focus fast change toggle bar a must. a suggestion, get a set of bio straps, adj., for fast eye lock on, or to make them on the chest so they don't pound the chest. and u can drop on your chest and switch to a weapon if hunting.

(Montgomery County)

i would STRONGLY suggest trying out the binos before you buy them.

anyway, for under $200?

Leupold Yosemite or the Redfield Rebels.

(Allegheny County)

Nikon Trailblazer 8x25 waterproof small and under $100 (REI) I compared my sisters much larger Monarchs which have great reviews and we both preferred my small Nikons. These are a great buy in my opinion.

(Philadelphia County)

If you are just viewing at targets, look at spotting scopes. Half the optics, half the price. (or twice the quality for the same price) Most of these have higher power to see those small holes at 100 yards. Some come with included tripod which keeps things steady at 60X.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    I've never had much luck reading targets at those distances with binoculars. If it were me I'd buy a pair of compact binoculars like these for packing: http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Power...culars+compact I been using that same pair for hunting for the past couple seasons and they work great. Then I'd spend the rest of the money on a spotting scope for range work. You can get a decent spotter for $100-$150 today. My buddy just bought this one a few months ago and like it a lot. http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Troph...spotting+scope
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    If you are just viewing at targets, look at spotting scopes. Half the optics, half the price. (or twice the quality for the same price) Most of these have higher power to see those small holes at 100 yards. Some come with included tripod which keeps things steady at 60X.
    I'm kinda liking this idea. I'm unsure of how unwieldy they will be packing but that's sort of not the most important thing. I'm more focused on quality for a given price. I can always make an extra trip to my car to grab them or take them inside when I get home. I think I'll do some research tonight. I'm really liking those deeply discounted ones on Amazon.