Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Why cant you use a semi auto(rifle) in PA?

I would personally like to use a semi auto, but I would not rattle off 30 rounds at a ground hog. Sad, but I could picture that happening, and the resulting fallout. I cannot see any advantage ($$$$) to the lawmakers or game commission in changing the law. The issue seems full of liability.
    Would a M1A with the gas port closed so it has to me manually cycled be legal?

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
    I would personally like to use a semi auto, but I would not rattle off 30 rounds at a ground hog. Sad, but I could picture that happening, and the resulting fallout. I cannot see any advantage ($$$$) to the lawmakers or game commission in changing the law. The issue seems full of liability.
    dont know but my old Ruger mini 14 with 5 round mag and my current m1 Garand with a 3-5 round clip would be

(Jefferson County)

Only if it is closed in a manner in which it cannot be readily changed in the field.

Simply turning the gas cylinder plug would not make a semi-auto legal for hunting since you could turn it back in the field.

You would likely have to remove the operating rod, which would also remove your means to to cycle the action manually since what you grasp to cycle the gun is part of the operating rod. Or, you might be able to get away with removing the piston and gas cylinder, leaving the rod in place, to make it hunting legal.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

I can answer your question in one word:

Tradition.

That is why the law is what it is. It's also why you hear so many stupid justifications like "spray and pray" or "unsportsmanlike". There isn't any rational reason. It's just tradition and people don't like change.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by overthetop View Post
    I can answer your question in one word:

Tradition.

That is why the law is what it is. It's also why you hear so many stupid justifications like "spray and pray" or "unsportsmanlike". There isn't any rational reason. It's just tradition and people don't like change.
    Lol I agree..its also the reason that from 1992-2010 I bought a NYS hunting License and totally skipped my PA license...I had Sat/Sun as my days off.....which meant I could hunt twice as much AND with my semi auto in NY as I could in PA . I recently(2010) started getting my PA license again because my son has taken a interest in Woodchuck/Groundhog hunting. Oh well...

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by CBennett View Post
    They(the 3 Game commission people at the podium) grumbled a bit at their podium someone said something low enough that I didn't catch it nor did anyone else..and finally the guy said..Because of TRADITION! I just shook my head and sat back down..horrible..just horrible..
    This reminds of a Hunter Safety Class I had taken my brother too. The Game Warden teaching the class had responded to a question about shooting ranges. His comment was "We built those ranges with hunters, Not for the people with big magazines".

I was biting my tongue at this point. I was going to ask what the big deal was. Regardless of what type of rifle your shooting you still required to have three rounds in the magazine. Doesn't matter if you have a Winchester 70 or an AR with a drum mag. Second, Even tough the purchase of my hunting license paid for the maintenance of these ranges, Why is one rifle more acceptable then another?

His aide or what ever you want to call him had asked me if I had a PA LTCF when I told him I had a Sportsman Permit. When I told him I have an Arizona [this is before Krazy Kane even was running], He gave me a speech about how I should apply anyway and what Phila does is for my own good to make sure the wrong people don't get a "permit". Later I found out the aide was a retired PPD detective.

(Carbon County)

I will say 1 thing, back in the day when I was a kid in the 70s and 80s, I remember deer hunting for years in Bradford county and as soon as it got light out, you saw 100 orange hats. many more hunters back in the day and I think back then was a good idea with no semi.....to me I really don't care. you only need one shot anyways. I can rack my bolt almost as fast as I can pull my trigger. tradition? yep, I say keep it the way it is.

(Lancaster County)

I would personally like to use a semi auto, but I would not rattle off 30 rounds at a ground hog. Sad, but I could picture that happening, and the resulting fallout.
    Yet it hasn't happened to any significance elsewhere.
    I cannot see any advantage ($$$$) to the lawmakers or game commission in changing the law.
    There's plenty of advantage to changing the law, mostly increased economic activity of hunting. Getting more people into it raises revenue, increases the support base, increases stores' sales, etc.
    The issue seems full of liability.
    Not if you limit mags to 5 rounds for hunting like most places do. No other state that allows autoloaders for hunting, which is almost every one of them except this one, considers it any more problematic than any other variety of firearm.
    Quote Originally Posted by kel ruger man View Post
    . you only need one shot anyways. I can rack my bolt almost as fast as I can pull my trigger. tradition? yep, I say keep it the way it is.
    2 reasons to open it up for autoloaders: reduced recoil and easier to practice with, both of which contribute to better accuracy and often as a result better safety.
    Last edited by Yellowfin; May 9th, 2013 at 06:48 PM.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Bucks County)

OP, you can not use semi-auto firearms in Pa. because the FUDDS still hold sway.
    Be of good cheer, their numbers are reduced every year. Someday soon, the silly old Elmers will be no more.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    OP, you can not use semi-auto firearms in Pa. because the FUDDS still hold sway.
    Be of good cheer, their numbers are reduced every year. Someday soon, the silly old Elmers will be no more.
    ^^^^^^^^
    Exactly what I was going to post.

Fudds are the reason.

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast