Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default Re: Why cant you use a semi auto(rifle) in PA?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Demko View Post
    If the farmers are an issue, we can consider pressing to have selected state game lands opened to semi-auto use, Sunday hunting, or whatever. Pennsylvania grimly clings to many of their old Blue Laws, but times change and the laws can be changed too. Heck, when I was a kid virtually nothing was open on Sundays. Now, most everything is...even a few of the state-owned liquor stores. We just need to go after a bite of the apple at a time, rather than giving up and sulking because we couldn't have the whole thing all at once.
    See I wish someone like you would have given me ideas I could have mentioned that one about the game lands..like I said this was years ago and the kid asking the other day after seeing the AR hunting got me back on this track lol. Thats a good idea though...And like you said a bunch of(for me as this is the only state ive liven in like this so dont take offense) to me old and outdated stuff like the Liquor stuff is trying to be changed also so maybe there is a glimmer of hope.

(Lancaster County)

It is not a burning question with the great majority of licensed hunters so the legislature is feeling no sense of issue and therefore it's not likely to happen any time soon, if ever. I would not get too worked up about it. A friend who is a State House member and a life long deer hunter has indicated that this issue is not on anybody's radar in Harrisburg. The reality is that there are many more pressing issues and too little time to address them.

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    The issue with semi-auto hunting isn't just the ridiculous "spraying the woods" argument. The real issue is a political one. PA farmers, which collectively own a LOT of land for hunting, are fairly well-represented by special interest groups in Harrisburg. These groups have said that if either Sunday hunting or semi-auto hunting is allowed, their members will prohibit access to their lands by hunters.

The threat of having farmers shut down tens of thousands of acres of hunting grounds has the legislators scared; they see this as a toxic issue that's not worth the risk to champion.
    Well stated. PA Politics is all over hunting, and unfortunately, is the name of the game. Some would argue that is good because they have their "ear" when need be.

Now, how many states have a full-time legislature....?! Four. PA, NY, Cali, and Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyd Sponaugle View Post
    It is not a burning question with the great majority of licensed hunters so the legislature is feeling no sense of issue and therefore it's not likely to happen any time soon, if ever. I would not get too worked up about it. A friend who is a State House member and a life long deer hunter has indicated that this issue is not on anybody's radar in Harrisburg. The reality is that there are many more pressing issues and too little time to address them.

You may be right. Also, Newton slowed any sort of roll on the semi-auto front in PA Hunting.

(Delaware County)

I spoke to a WCO regarding this issue about a month ago. Given the example of hunting squirrels with a Ruger 10/22, he said it was "unsportsmanlike" to hunt with an auto loader because "the squirrel wouldn't have a chance." Ridiculous.

(Lancaster County)

In summary, it can be boiled down to ignorance, apathy, superstition, misinformation, and stupidity.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philiberty View Post
    I spoke to a WCO regarding this issue about a month ago. Given the example of hunting squirrels with a Ruger 10/22, he said it was "unsportsmanlike" to hunt with an auto loader because "the squirrel wouldn't have a chance." Ridiculous.
    What was the WCO's name? I would like to contact him. I have a hard time believing any WCO would say that. Semis are a legislative issue not a PGC issue.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philiberty View Post
    See this is the LAME types of excuses I keep getting and what made me so mad..kept getting crap like that and "tradition" BOTH are really cop outs IMO. I get/got as many Squirrels here in PA with a bolt action as I got in NY with my semi auto years ago. Id have told him he is full of crap lol.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by R.W.J View Post
    What was the WCO's name? I would like to contact him. I have a hard time believing any WCO would say that. Semis are a legislative issue not a PGC issue.
    But since they are the people in the field controlling this kind of stuff I believe they feel it is their issue also.

(Lancaster County)

It does not really matter what any WCO says. That's like taking it to football officials because you don't like the rules. It's a legislative issue. Get to know your legislators. I know mine and when I call, they take my call. But I don't bend their ear about non-issues.

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast