Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Absolutely fantastic pro-gun piece

"Waking the dragon — How Feinstein fiddled while America burned", by Barry Snell, in his farewell piece at the Iowa State Daily.

It's a wonderful piece about why pro-gun and anti-gun folks can't sit down and talk, about the gun culture and how it is woven into our national fabric, and why there can't and won't ever be a conversation about guns in this country until the antis grow up and put away childish things.

It's not politic, it's not particularly polite (though it is civil), and it pulls no punches.

And, if you're particularly astute, you'll see that he touches on a great many more things than just guns, even if all he appears to speak on is the firearm issue.

Long but worth the read.

Default Re: Absolutely fantastic pro-gun piece

From the article:

"Liberals always make the common plea, “We need to get some experts to solve this problem!” for any public policy issue that comes along, which is a good thing. But when it comes to the gun issue, gun expertise is completely irrelevant to the anti-gunner — people who probably have never fired a gun or even touched one in real life, and whose only experience with guns is what they’ve seen in movies or read about in bastions of (un)balanced, hyper-liberal journalism, like Mother Jones. That a pro-gun person might actually know a lot about their hobby or profession doesn’t stand up against the histrionic cries of the anti-gunner."

I think this speaks volumes. When discussing guns and gun laws with antis, most I have talked with do not know much and in some cases have never touched a gun much less fired it. They have not spent time reading both state and federal law or court cases regarding guns. Yet they think they know everything there is to know about guns and that their opinion which is based on vague feelings, half truths, and the way they think things are vs how they actually are.

But when I start talking about the way gun laws actually are with sources, they immediately try to discount the points based on nothing other than feeling and emotion. Not that I am by any means an expert, but I have spent more time learning about the issue than most antis I come across.

I have read editorials that start out something like "I have never owned a gun and don't know much about gun laws but" and then they go off on an anti gun rant spreading more feelings and half truths that people will read and believe. The idea of actually listening to experts on the matter of guns is like vampires reacting to sunlight, they avoid it at all costs which makes it extremely hard to connect on the issue.

(Berks County)

That was a great article. Thanks for sharing it.

(Bucks County)

Wow! Best I've read on the issue complete with a balanced and accurate warning for the anti's.

(Beaver County)

That was well written and I agree with every one of the points he made. The thing is, who was he writing it for? Me? That's just preaching to the choir and makes for easy hallelujahs. If he was writing for the antis, the hard core isn't listening. I wonder how many readers not already on his side found him convincing.
    The first one to use the word "sheeple" automatically loses the argument.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Demko View Post
    That was well written and I agree with every one of the points he made. The thing is, who was he writing it for? Me? That's just preaching to the choir and makes for easy hallelujahs. If he was writing for the antis, the hard core isn't listening. I wonder how many readers not already on his side found him convincing.
    This is true for most articles, thoughts, debates, books, media, etc on any subject though.

Same as here (PAFOA). We all get on here and exchange ideas and opinions that are pro-gun and we are in essence >>> "preaching to the choir".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

(Bucks County)

Great article....here's another excerpt:

"Gun people don’t trust anti-gun people because, while liberals seek to expand government regulation and services — things that may not be bad or ill-intended on their own — they simultaneously try to curtail the Second Amendment. We don’t trust anti-gun people for this reason because history shows us that every genocide and democide is preceded by expansion of government power and gun control. We don’t trust anti-gunners because here in America, gun control is rooted in slavery and racism, with some of America’s modern anti-gun laws being direct copies of former Nazi laws that banned gun possession for Jews, blacks, gays and other “undesirables.”
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by FNG19 View Post
    "Waking the dragon — How Feinstein fiddled while America burned", by Barry Snell, in his farewell piece at the Iowa State Daily.

It's a wonderful piece about why pro-gun and anti-gun folks can't sit down and talk, about the gun culture and how it is woven into our national fabric, and why there can't and won't ever be a conversation about guns in this country until the antis grow up and put away childish things.

It's not politic, it's not particularly polite (though it is civil), and it pulls no punches.

And, if you're particularly astute, you'll see that he touches on a great many more things than just guns, even if all he appears to speak on is the firearm issue.

Long but worth the read.
    Excellent! thanks for posting!

(York County)

Thumbs up Re: Absolutely fantastic pro-gun piece

That was a great read!!! Awesome.

Should be required reading by all!
    Live Free or Die! FJB!!!

This hit me - the anti-gun crowd is full of victim mentality. They can never think, "could I have made a difference?" There is no ability to reason with someone who perpetually perceives themselves as a victim.

Folks, it's not our problem, it's theirs. Don't try to reason with victims - their emotion locks their ability to see clearly. Stick to your guns!

Article excerpt:
    Gun people don’t trust anti-gun people because while they were crying about the victims of 9/11 or Aurora or Sandy Hook, and thanking God they weren’t there, I and many other gun people like me were crying because we weren’t there, and asked God why we couldn’t have been. Many of us wish we were on one of the 9/11 airplanes, and not because we have a death wish but because we have a life wish. Because when we sit in silence and the world’s distractions fall away, the thought creeps in: Could I have made a difference?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast