Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Firearms training in NJ / Issues for PA residents?

Being that I am stuck in the PRNJ for the time being, I know where to look to find all of oppressive and staggering amount of gun laws. This should answer all your question, I am also going to put a link that will allow you reference the PRNJ gun law. NJ gun laws Hope to be moving to PA soon.
    All firearms transported into the State of New Jersey:

Shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

For additional exemptions refer to Chapter 39, namely 2C:39-g.
    All firearms transported through the State of New Jersey:

The following guidelines are provided in order to assist law enforcement officers in applying New Jersey's firearms laws to persons who are transporting firearms through the State of New Jersey.

New Jersey laws governing firearms permits, purchaser identification cards, registration and licenses do not apply to a person who is transporting the firearm through this State if that person is transporting the firearm in a manner permitted by federal law, 18 U.S.C.A. 926A.

This federal law permitting interstate transportation of a firearm applies only if all of the following requirements are met:

A.

The person's possession of the firearm was lawful in the state in which the journey began;

B.

The person's possession of the firearm will be lawful in the state in which the journey will end;

C.

The person is transporting the firearm for lawful purpose

D.

The firearm is unloaded

E.

The firearm is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle

F.

The ammunition is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle

G.

If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console;

H.

The person is not

a convicted felon

a fugitive from justice an addict or unlawful user of drugs, or

an illegal alien

I

The person has not

been adjudicated to be a mental defective

been committed to a mental institution

been dishonorably discharged from the armed forces, or

renounced his United States Citizenship

A person who is transporting a firearm though the State of New Jersey in the manner permitted by person's possession 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, see Section II above, need not give notice.

Procedures for Investigation of Conduct Involving the Possession or Transportation of Firearms

A.

An officer who reasonably suspects that a person is transporting a firearm in violation of New Jersey law should make reasonable inquiries in order to confirm or dispel that suspicion.

B.

In a case where circumstances reasonably indicate that the person's possession and transportation of the firearms my be permitted by 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, the officer should make reasonable inquiries in order to determine whether the person's possession is permitted by that federal law.

C.

If reasonable inquiries lead an officer to conclude that the person's possession is lawful under either New Jersey law or 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, as described above in Section II, the officer should promptly allow the person to proceed.

D.

Whenever an officer has probable cause to believe that a person's possession of a firearm is in violation of New Jersey law and not permitted by 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, as described above in Section II, then the officer should make an arrest.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Raskin91 View Post

New Jersey laws governing firearms permits, purchaser identification cards, registration and licenses do not apply to a person who is transporting the firearm through this State if that person is transporting the firearm in a manner permitted by federal law, 18 U.S.C.A. 926A.
    He's not going through the state though. NJ is his destination. Therefore I'm assuming your registration/license shit applies to him unless there is some kind of exemption for training.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post
    He's not going through the state though. NJ is his destination. Therefore I'm assuming your registration/license shit applies to him unless there is some kind of exemption for training.
    This is the one thing that worries me the most. I guess technically I would be violating NJ law.

Thanks for all the replies.

(Monroe County)

There`s a lot of Pa guys that shoot at the pistol club in Phillipsburg, NJ. Some must be on the forum that can answer your question.

All firearms transported into the State of New Jersey:

Shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

For additional exemptions refer to Chapter 39, namely 2C:39-g.
    All firearms transported through the State of New Jersey:
    I added the bold, so all could see that those are the rules for transporting into NJ. If you have any questions or concerns you could always call the State Police and ask them for clarification.
    New Jersey State Police
    P.O. Box 7068
    West Trenton, NJ 08628
    609-882-2000

(Erie County)

I added the bold, so all could see that those are the rules for transporting into NJ. If you have any questions or concerns you could always call the State Police and ask them for clarification.
    New Jersey State Police
    P.O. Box 7068
    West Trenton, NJ 08628
    609-882-2000
    What your quoting is an opening statement. Not a specific provision. It's the title of what is going to be explained later on. Then you quote the specific law that states that registration doesn't apply if your merely passing through.

I'm hard pressed to think that title sentence means what your thinking it means. This is NJ of course, a worse place than NY. And we have all come to learn that handguns must people registered in NY whether your a resident or not.

(Chester County)

Some input from a former PRNJ resident who is NOT a lawyer:

2C:39-5 prohibits possession without the necessary permits;

Exceptions
    2C:39-6 f(3)(b)

"f. Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:

(3) A person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:

(a) Directly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or fishing, provided the person has in his possession a valid hunting or fishing license; or

(b) Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder; or
    g. All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances."

Title 23 is Fish and Game Law so I don’t know why it was referenced in (b) instead of (a).

As to possession without a permit the following makes a non-licensed borrower legal. Though not directly on-point it does indicate that it was not the law’s intent to disallow non-permit holders from possessing guns at a range..

"2C:58-3.1. Temporary transfer of firearms
    1. a. Notwithstanding the provisions of N.J.S.2C:39-9, N.J.S.2C:58-2, N.J.S.2C:58-3 or any other statute to the contrary concerning the transfer or disposition of firearms, the legal owner, or a dealer licensed under N.J.S.2C:58-2, may temporarily transfer a handgun, rifle or shotgun to another person who is 18 years of age or older, whether or not the person receiving the firearm holds a firearms purchaser identification card or a permit to carry a handgun. The person to whom a handgun, rifle or shotgun is temporarily transferred by the legal owner of the firearm or a licensed dealer may receive, possess, carry and use that handgun, rifle or shotgun, if the transfer is made upon a firing range operated by a licensed dealer, by a law enforcement agency, a legally recognized military organization or a rifle or pistol club which has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent and annually submits to the superintendent a list of its members and if the firearm is received, possessed, carried and used for the sole purpose of target practice, trap or skeet shooting, or competition upon that firing range or instruction and training at any location."

I have headache trying to make it through the twists and turns of all the changes and these are only snippets. My gut feeling is that you shouldn’t have a problem. Have you contacted the host range and asked whether they have definitive info on the legalities?

NJ Statutes available through http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/, click on "Statutes" in left hand column "Laws and Constitution".

(Northampton County)

My forthcoming comment is Internet rumor to YOU. I have confidence in it myself so I throw it out there for you to investigate.

I was told by a lawyer 8 years ago that it is legal to bring a firearm including a rifle, shotgun, or pistol, into NJ provided it was legally purchased out of state. And I knew this for many years even before the lawyer told me. You can even move to NJ and never register your pistol, rifle, or shotgun.

Now, for the disclaimers - NJ firearms laws changed frequently in the time I lived there. When I got my firearms ID card it was for life and I found out later that any change in address required a new one - the law had changed. Also, since coming to this website, I have been made aware of many falacies I believed in the past. But - I believe my above info was true as of 8 years ago. Better verify yourself.

As for where you can go with a firearm in your car - I think I know, but I won't say. I know it's very restricted.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by sluggie24 View Post
    Why would you want to train in NJ????

I would think the only thing you could learn in a class there is how to turn your firearms in...........
    I lived in NJ aka "the communist state" for 26 years. Local police make up the law as they go. Do yourself a favor and stay in PA where free people still have some rights.
    Last edited by Houdini; March 30th, 2009 at 10:16 AM.

No hollow point ammo and go straight to the match and straight back to Pa when finished.

You can possess hollowpoints in NJ and shooting them at a range is one of the "authorized" uses. Check NJSP.org for info.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast