Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default Is there a waiting period?

What is the current waiting period in PA to purchase handguns? The dealer told me I had to wait 14 days but this doesn't seem right. I thought it was 3 days. I haven't bought a handgun in many years so I'm not sure what the current law is. Also, do gun dealers make up their own waiting periods? I bought a handgun in West Virginia years ago when I lived there and at the time, there was no waiting period, although the dealer told me I had to wait 3 days "just to be sure" he told me. Thanks.

Default Re: Is there a waiting period?

With PA gun dealers using the PICS to do a check when buying a gun, there is supposed to be no waiting period, other than waiting for the PICS operator.

So, most of the time, if a person is legally able to purchase, he walks out the door with the gun in a matter of minutes

However, some people get put into "research", then the wait can be up to 14 days (I believe) while the person is checked out.

(Adams County)

Thank you for your reply. I just did some research to find out what PICS is about. A delay doesn't necessarily mean I am denied. Because I have purchased handguns before and seeing nothing against me on the list of prohibitions, I know I qualify so I guess it's just a matter of waiting. Hopefully next time I won't have to wait so long.

(Delaware County)

Were you put into research? What did the dealer tell you. Is he a kitchen table dealer or does he have a brick and morter store?
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Adams County)

They said it was delayed possibly due to a system failure. They told me they had the same thing happen the day before, so, I don't know. The place is like a hunting supply/hardware store.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary_jbp View Post
    They said it was delayed possibly due to a system failure. They told me they had the same thing happen the day before, so, I don't know. The place is like a hunting supply/hardware store.
    They are completly different issuies. If there was a problem with the system there would be no way to know how long it could take. If you were put into research the state police would have up to 14 days to make a decision. This is something you need to know so, if you need to you, can file an appeal.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Adams County)

Thanks. I think I'll give them a call and ask them to clarify the situation. If the system is down, it could take longer than 2 weeks. I'm assuming it's in "research," they just never used that word. Shouldn't the person to whom the dealer speaks make it abundantly clear that it's in research? I would hope they'd be a little clearer on this with the dealer.

(York County)

While at the 2a rally I heard someone mention a proposal to allow a person to display their LTCF and purchase a gun if PICS was down. Is this proposal part of HB357 or am I just going senile?

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

When I got my LTCF 4 years ago, I had to make a second trip because the system was down at that time. However, with the last two firearms I purchased, they were done on the phone around the same time I was done filling out my part of the paperwork. Waiting periods are a bit of a misnomer in my opinion.
    ...and they have a plan...

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rblakely View Post
    While at the 2a rally I heard someone mention a proposal to allow a person to display their LTCF and purchase a gun if PICS was down. Is this proposal part of HB357 or am I just going senile?
    The ltcf should be a license to purchase as well. I don't understand why it isn't outside of just a way to make it less convenient to purchase.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast