Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 22 rimfire blew up in tac-sol upper

Was out shooting some CCI std. velocity 22 rf out of my tac-sol dedicated upper just now..shot 50 rounds, everything worked fine...

Opened up the second box of 50 and on the 3rd round fired from this box the case blowup..no damage to me, and no apparent damage to the rifle...pics are below. My guess is that these rounds are probably too underpowered to cycle the action properly, which caused the bolt to not seat properly...

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: 22 rimfire blew up in tac-sol upper

My Spike's 22LR conversion did that with a Remington Golden Bullet. BOOM! Smoke... melted the heads of the next 3 rounds in the mag. All of it blew out the ejection port for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    My Spike's 22LR conversion did that with a Remington Golden Bullet. BOOM! Smoke... melted the heads of the next 3 rounds in the mag. All of it blew out the ejection port for the most part.
    your upper was ok I guess>??

(Monroe County)

I had a Tac-Sol upper and seem to recall that it functioned best with CCI Stinger ammo and did not like cheap stuff. If you look at the instructions on
    their website, at the end there is an ammo recommendation to use hi-vel.
    http://www.tacticalsol.com/tshome/wp...tructions1.pdf
    With the increased demand for ammo, there seems to be a good number of stories re. QC issues, even in name brands. Don't know if that is relevant but it might be worth keeping in mind. The Tac-Sol upper is a well made and accurate unit and its one of the items I sometimes regret having sold.

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    I had a Tac-Sol upper and seem to recall that it functioned best with CCI Stinger ammo and did not like cheap stuff. If you look at the instructions on
    their website, at the end there is an ammo recommendation to use hi-vel.
    http://www.tacticalsol.com/tshome/wp...tructions1.pdf
    With the increased demand for ammo, there seems to be a good number of stories re. QC issues, even in name brands. Don't know if that is relevant but it might be worth keeping in mind. The Tac-Sol upper is a well made and accurate unit and its one of the items I sometimes regret having sold.
    Yeah...I figured jacketed high-velocity ammo would work better than low velocity lead...

Gave the upper a good cleaning, than ran about 50 rounds of jacketed high velocity ammo through it no problem..switched back to low velocity non-jacketed ammo, and had some FTF and saw that the bolt isn't closing on all of them.

Going to try a different magazine with the lower velocity stuff and see if that helps, doubt it will.

Sucks...I have about 5000 rounds of Remington 22 I purchased from the CMP last year, may not be able to use any of it in my 22 cal AR upper, and the higher velocity stuff can't be found anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
    Yeah...I figured jacketed high-velocity ammo would work better than low velocity lead...

Gave the upper a good cleaning, than ran about 50 rounds of jacketed high velocity ammo through it no problem..switched back to low velocity non-jacketed ammo, and had some FTF and saw that the bolt isn't closing on all of them.

Going to try a different magazine with the lower velocity stuff and see if that helps, doubt it will.
    I was having this same trouble with low velocity ammo, but I solved it in an extremely easy manner.. At least give this a shot, and if it doesn't help what do you have to lose? All I had to do was get some rem-oil and make sure to keep the action extra lubed, and it started running the low velocity stuff flawlessly. If it's not extra wet the bolt won't close and it won't cycle properly in my semi auto, but as soon as I spray some rem oil in there and work the action a few times it starts cycling perfectly. Not necessary for the high velocity stuff, but the standard velocity requires everything to be especially slicked up. If you give it a try let me know if it helped you out.

Quote Originally Posted by chillafusion View Post
    I was having this same trouble with low velocity ammo, but I solved it in an extremely easy manner.. At least give this a shot, and if it doesn't help what do you have to lose? All I had to do was get some rem-oil and make sure to keep the action extra lubed, and it started running the low velocity stuff flawlessly. If it's not extra wet the bolt won't close and it won't cycle properly in my semi auto, but as soon as I spray some rem oil in there and work the action a few times it starts cycling perfectly. Not necessary for the high velocity stuff, but the standard velocity requires everything to be especially slicked up. If you give it a try let me know if it helped you out.
    Thanks, I tried extra lube initially...didn't help.

Ended up trying a different mag..this one was smaller (20 round profile), and had stainless steel feed lips...fired another 50 rounds of the lower velocity ammo and had no problems..

oh yeah...glad I was wearing safety glasses when that 22 popped!

(Chester County)

I have had a few do that in M&P 15-22's . Scary but kinda normal for 22's in a semi.
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Montgomery County)

Had the same issue today with my CMMG .22LR upper on a CMMG MK4 lower. Tons of feed and cycle issues.

My 15-22s both eat anything you feed them with the exception of the subsonic "quiet" CCIs.

I'm going to try breaking it in a little more, and then possibly swap the hammer spring out for a lighter one (which was suggested to me today).

Otherwise, this lower will be reappropriated to another project.

(York County)

<snip> which caused the bolt to not seat properly...
    </snip>

The bolt not seating fully should (would) prevent the hammer/trigger from firing.

Did it happen when YOU pulled the trigger? or "after" the shot while feeding the next round into the chamber, meeting too much resistance and crushing the rim causing the round to fire out of battery...
    Wouldn't you like to know what's in my safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast