Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Considering a surplus rifle

So I've been thinking about this for a while and have narrowed it down to two barring anyone who comes up with a better option in this thread.
    I am considering the K-31 Swiss and a Mauser in 6.5x55. I will be reloading for either of these so ammo is not an issue really. What are some pros and cons of the two and how do they compare to each other.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Considering a surplus rifle

I have a Mosin and love it.

However, you are looking at a Mauser, so wrong "m".

;-)
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Lehigh County)

If ammo is not a concern then I would say go with whichever strikes your fancy. I have fired the M96 and it didn't have the "gotta get one impact" the K31 did. Now I am new to the m1931 as I have only really shot it once or twice, however the straight pull action, and how incredibly smooth the action was really impressed me.

I have nothing negative to say about either other then ammo availability, but for you its a non starter.

Yea the Mosin is a great one but I can get one down the road a bit... like next week. I want a good shooter but a quality rifle that I can hunt with also, I just feel the 6.5 Swede and the K-31 asre the better options

I have a M96 and a M38. I would be willing to part with one of them, PM me if you are interested.

(Westmoreland County)

I like them both but prefer the Swedish rifles because I like the 6.5x55 chambering better. The only downside I see with the swede is the brass. American made brass is formed from .30-06 brass and the dimensions are a little off. For this reason the American made brass does not hold up as well to reloading. The only alternative is buy Lapua or Norma brass, which is good brass that will hold up. It's just a bit more expensive. Most agree that the additional expense is worth it though.

In short, both great rifles. Get the one you like best. Better yet, get one of each.

(Lancaster County)

STOP don't do it.it's a disease YOU CAN'T BUY JUST ONE.I know started with one and know have a full safe.go to the web page shooting and collecting the surplus rifle for lot's of info.it's where all us mil-surp junkie's hang out.all jokes a side you would be happy with ether one.you will find some of the old mil-surp are better made and finished then some modern rifles.good luck and enjoy.crazywolf

(Allegheny County)

K31 Swiss. It has at least one advantage over the Mauser... it has a removable magazine. Extra mags are pricy, but it sure beats the hell out of stripper clips.

I considered the K31 for years, but since the surplus ammo dried up, I bought a Finish M39 instead. Can't beat it for the combination of cheap and plentiful ammo, accuracy, and sturdiness. The only draw back is that the cheap ammo is corrosive. However, a good compromise is the slightly more expensive non-corrosive match ammo.
    Toujours prêt

(Butler County)

The only right answer, is to get both. I like the Swede best.

(Westmoreland County)

If you can find one at a good price jump on either. Most all surplus rifle are still going for a premium. I like the Mausers myself I am up to 5. You do need to really look over what you are buying. With all the craziness and prices I have seen some real crap rifles going for double what they did even a year ago. Some a crown repair and you have a real shooter. Others nothing but a new barrel will help. I also know Mauser parts are getting real hard to find. Good luck with what ever you deiced on.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast