Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Considering a surplus rifle

Have you considered the Steyr 95/34 straight pull bolt, 8x56R beast? I'm thinking abou't one or two.
    "The chair is against the wall, John has a long mustasche"

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    K31 Swiss. It has at least one advantage over the Mauser... it has a removable magazine. Extra mags are pricy, but it sure beats the hell out of stripper clips.

I considered the K31 for years, but since the surplus ammo dried up, I bought a Finish M39 instead.
    GP-11 Swiss ammo is still easily obtained, and at a cost per round that is cheaper than .223.
    Also, PRVI makes really nice factory-new, boxer-primed ammo for about $14-$17 per 20, in both FMJ and soft-point.

(Lancaster County)

Well to be honest I have both the K31 and a M96 and wouldn't want to get rid of either. On the other hand and since you mentioned "an option" as well as "reloading" .. "hunting" and "surplus" let me throw out a suggestion for you.

How about the US Springfield Armory Model 1903?

May be a little more upfront $ but you'll be loading 30-06 and cases are a plenty and .308 bullets are found most everywhere.
    Loads can vary from very light high velocity to heavy for true big game use.
    There are probably a hundred or more users on this forum that have a super accurate loading for their '06.
    Please feel free to visit a forum that I moderate:
    http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

Thanks for the response but the 308 bullets are the same for the K-31 ammo. I have considered the 03 springfields but have decided on these two.

(Chester County)

I also have both and they are both great choices. I think I'd go with the K31.

As a little sidenote on why I'd choose it

See if you can get one with a troop tag underneath the buttplate.
    I had a tag and found out that the person was still actually alive and lived at the same address as was written on the tag. I mailed (not email, yes mailed) him a letter. I had it translated into German by a friend and he actually responded back with a history of when he had the rifle and matches he shot with it.

A great little bonus from a Milsurp!!!!!!
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by RandomTask View Post
    GP-11 Swiss ammo is still easily obtained, and at a cost per round that is cheaper than .223.
    Also, PRVI makes really nice factory-new, boxer-primed ammo for about $14-$17 per 20, in both FMJ and soft-point.
    Let me rephrase. The cheap surplus ammo dried up. Currently @ .50 a round for surplus isn't to bad, but I like .22 a round much better.
    Toujours prêt

Quote Originally Posted by Doomtrooper View Post
    Have you considered the Steyr 95/34 straight pull bolt, 8x56R beast? I'm thinking abou't one or two.
    What's the 8x56 ammo situation?
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Bucks County)

8X56R surplus ammo has all but dried up. Privi and Hornady both produce it. I believe Hornady uses Privi brass. With the commercial ammo you do not get the clips needed for repeater uses. Bulets are available from Hornady and probably Privi. The way to go with this beast is to cast your own. The clips are available albeit costly.
    I have found the Steyr Carbine the worst Milsurp to shoot. Recoil is pretty stiff off a bench with surplus ammo.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    So I've been thinking about this for a while and have narrowed it down to two barring anyone who comes up with a better option in this thread.
    I am considering the K-31 Swiss and a Mauser in 6.5x55. I will be reloading for either of these so ammo is not an issue really. What are some pros and cons of the two and how do they compare to each other.
    Both can be had at Kurt's in Mifflinville, PA right off of route 80 near Bloomsburg. In fact, I have never seen such a good selection of milsurp. Swedes, Swiss, Nagants, K-98, Italian, Yugo - very good stuff. And he has ammo for all of it although some ammo purchases are limited.

What can I expect to pay for these

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast