Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Motorcycle License

I was interested in getting my motorcycle license, though I don't really have an intentions to use it in the near future, I just think it would be something worth while to have.

I was wondering what kind of material should I look over before I go and take the permit test? I read through the booklet that is a .pdf on the dmv website, but it didn't really talk about laws or anything like that.
    Machinist for hire - Get a hold of me if you need something made

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Motorcycle License

there's no requirement to take a permit test, or at least there wasn't when i got my MC permit back in 2002. when i got mine all you had to do was pay 10 bucks for the permit and you were good to go. if you don't have your own bike you can't actually get a license because there is a road test required after you take the written portion of the exam. if you take the MC safety course some course provide motorcycles but there's a fee, not sure how much though. why bother to get a MC license if you don't actually plan to buy and ride one???? waste of time

(Centre County)

I don't really think it's a waste of time, as I would like to learn to ride one. I have no plans to buy a MC in the immediate future, but a couple years from now I would definitely consider buying one to put around town.

I was planning on taking the motorcycle safety course put on by the state in June, which they will provide motorcycles for. The main reason to take the class would be to develop some skills as well as get my license upon successful completion.

I read that they changed the permit requirements sometime in 2006 so now you need to take a test before you can get your permit.

(Philadelphia County)

Stop by any Motor Vehicle department and pick up the MC License book, or MC Safety Class book, or whatever its called.

Its got a crappy and cheap graphic of a motorcycle on the cover.

There's ALL the information you need to know.

I'm too taking the Safety Course this summer, I can't wait.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Bucks County)

the safety course is the smartest thing you can do if you plan to ride. i've taken the advance course twice and both times learned a lot and picked up knowledge that i didn't know before. fortunately since i'm in the reserves i was able to take the course for free on post. the worse thing you can do is learn on your own because you pick up and develop bad habits without knowing they are bad habits.

i've been riding since 2002 and i absolutley love it, i ride everyday to work so long as it's not raining and the temp is above 45. plus riding the bike saves me a lot of money in gas, good luck.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    the safety course is the smartest thing you can do if you plan to ride. i've taken the advance course twice and both times learned a lot and picked up knowledge that i didn't know before. fortunately since i'm in the reserves i was able to take the course for free on post. the worse thing you can do is learn on your own because you pick up and develop bad habits without knowing they are bad habits.

i've been riding since 2002 and i absolutley love it, i ride everyday to work so long as it's not raining and the temp is above 45. plus riding the bike saves me a lot of money in gas, good luck.
    That's another things. I don't really want to develop any bad habits.

My dad taught me the basics to riding a motorcycle when I was about 12 or so. I could barely touch the ground on a '73 Kawasaki 175. I know how to work the clutch and shift, but I'd definitely like to refine my skills before I even think about trying to ride on the street. If I remember correctly, my last motorcycle adventure on a Honda 50 ended up with me putting a clutch/brake lever into my thigh.

(Chester County)

I would wait until you're closer to purchasing a motorcycle to get your license. That way information and skills learned in the safety course will be fresher.

http://www.pamsp.com/
    Μολὼν λάβε