Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger P89

(York County)

Question Ruger P89

Anybody have any experience with the Ruger P89? I'm looking to purchase one as a home defense/concealed carry piece.

Any thoughts on the models with safety vs. decock only?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Ruger P89

Quote Originally Posted by Wndr9 View Post
    Anybody have any experience with the Ruger P89? I'm looking to purchase one as a home defense/concealed carry piece.
    I briefly owned a P95 (DA/SA -- didn't know there was any other option available??), the (IIRC) successor to the P89. Basically, the "P series" in 9mm has family traits:

1. Extremely reliable; will digest anything.
    2. Very blocky and hard to conceal; ergonomics are iffy for some people.
    3. The first double action trigger pull is LONNNG and very gritty. IMO, of all the Wondernines out there, the P series has industry-worst DA trigger pull.
    4. Acceptable accuracy.
    5. Excellent durability; over-built as Rugers tend to be.

If all that fits your bill, they do tend to be outstanding values. However, I think Ruger doesn't make the 89 anymore? If so, finding holsters, accessories, mags for a discontinued gun might not be easy.
    Last edited by dgg9; January 3rd, 2007 at 11:18 AM.

(Berks County)

I had one for several years and would have to agree with dgg9 in that they are very well built, will digest virtually anything that you care to feed them, and they do have a very long trigger pull on the first round. I found however that they were not viable for carry due to their size and blockiness but that is just me and it may very well be different for you. If you are comfortable with it, you could certainly do worse.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Schuylkill County)

I have a P87 that I bought in about 1990. Both pieces are quite similar. I bought this with the thought that it was one of the first autos that Ruger built that wasn't a .22. I had already owned a RedHawk and thought I'd give it a try.
    And since it was the first trip down Ruger auto lane I thought I'd make a test of it. I have put somewhere around 10K rounds through it to this point. I have yet to have a misfeed, hang, jam, or anything along the line. And that's shooting anything from 115gr Wolf to top of the line +p stuff. I was forced to put oil on it in about 1998, it had been a couple of months since I'd fired it and the slide wouldn't lock forward. A couple drops of CLP and off we went.
    It is easily the most rugged auto I have ever used. I recently got back from a sandy hot government paid vacation in places that rhyme with irak where I carried a Beretta M92 9MM. The beretta didn't fair well in the area. I'm glad I used it as a secondary because when every 7th round doesn't cycle it gets frustrating. I wished that I could have my P87 over there.
    But I'll agree with previous posters, the ruger doesn't have the cleanest of lines out there but I would be willing to bet it is the most reliable auto on the market.
    I'd think you'd be looking for a P95 or something along that line, if you're buying used I wouldn't think you could really go wrong.

The safety vs decock is really a non issue, in my opinion. But it depends on what you're comfortable with. The safety acts as a decocker and disengages the trigger when on SAFE.
    Thanks

Correcting the world's problems, one squeeze at a time.

(York County)

Can you carry it "cocked and locked"? When I handled it in the store (unloaded, perhaps it works differently loaded), I could not cock the hammer w/o the safety on, and when I took the safety off, it decocked the hammer. Is this normal?

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wndr9 View Post
    Can you carry it "cocked and locked"? When I handled it in the store (unloaded, perhaps it works differently loaded), I could not cock the hammer w/o the safety on, and when I took the safety off, it decocked the hammer. Is this normal?
    If my memory serves me it shouldn't be able to be cocked in "safe". With the toggle in the down position. When you flip it up to fire should be the only time that it can be cocked or fired.
    Thanks

(Bucks County)

IMO, the two big knocks against it are the DA trigger and the blockiness. But if it's only used for home defense, maybe neither of those matters that much (home defense, unlike CCW, you would probably have the time to thumb back the hammer for a SA shot.

Also, if not carrying it, then holster availability becomes a non-issue.

(Fulton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I have a P87 that I bought in about 1990. Both pieces are quite similar. I bought this with the thought that it was one of the first autos that Ruger built that wasn't a .22. I had already owned a RedHawk and thought I'd give it a try.
    And since it was the first trip down Ruger auto lane I thought I'd make a test of it. I have put somewhere around 10K rounds through it to this point. I have yet to have a misfeed, hang, jam, or anything along the line. And that's shooting anything from 115gr Wolf to top of the line +p stuff. I was forced to put oil on it in about 1998, it had been a couple of months since I'd fired it and the slide wouldn't lock forward. A couple drops of CLP and off we went.
    It is easily the most rugged auto I have ever used. I recently got back from a sandy hot government paid vacation in places that rhyme with irak where I carried a Beretta M92 9MM. The beretta didn't fair well in the area. I'm glad I used it as a secondary because when every 7th round doesn't cycle it gets frustrating. I wished that I could have my P87 over there.
    But I'll agree with previous posters, the ruger doesn't have the cleanest of lines out there but I would be willing to bet it is the most reliable auto on the market.
    I'd think you'd be looking for a P95 or something along that line, if you're buying used I wouldn't think you could really go wrong.

The safety vs decock is really a non issue, in my opinion. But it depends on what you're comfortable with. The safety acts as a decocker and disengages the trigger when on SAFE.

ruger never made a P87 that im aware of.

i have a p89 you can not carry it cocked and locked

but since its a double/single action pistol you can have a round in the camber and have it on safe with out the hammer cocked, or without the safty on. when needed just pull the trigger

you could carry one in the winter in a shoulder rig but as for in your pants the pistol is rather large and blocky as stated.

The safety on mine is also a decocking lever. When i have a round chambered and the hammer is back, put it on safety and the hammer falls but a bar blacks the firing pin

they are tanks! mine hasnt failed once since i got it in 94, just to bulky and heavy to carry it.

Ruger P89 if it doesnt fire just beat them with it

just to add: they still make the P89

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...es&type=Pistol
    Last edited by fultonCoShooter; January 3rd, 2007 at 03:17 PM.

(Schuylkill County)

Red face Re: Ruger P89

Whoops, you did catch me with that. It is actually a P89. A guy I work with has one as well and when I started talking to him about this post I and he said you mean P89. Well of course I did.
    I think I was thinking of the P85 that was the first centerfire auto that I can recall, then it was replaced with the P85 MKII. I think that is where the P87 comes from. I didn't sound odd to talk about and if you google it you'll find plenty of knowledgeable folk that think they have one as well.
    But to set the record straight, mine is in fact a p89 in the aluminum aircraft silvery grey finish with standard safety.
    I never actually tried to cock it on safe, but I do know that if it is cocked and I drop it to safe the hammer will fall.

Another guy I work with has a P97 DC only. Similar blocky feel, same kind of you can't stop it ruggedness.

I never had much problem with carry, I am a fairly sized guy, 5' 10" around 220, but I typically carry my Walther P22 when I'm out and about. It is much more compact, but carries a lot less punch. I figure point blank a couple in the lower naddage should take the fight out of most anyone.

But back to the theme, I think Ruger makes as dependable auto as you can buy.
    They are built for people with "MAN" hands and as long as you're NFL sized you'd have no problem with concealed carry.
    As accurate as can be expected from a 3" barrel.
    Last edited by Rick; January 3rd, 2007 at 03:59 PM. Reason: typo on "in fact a p87 should have been p89"
    Thanks

(Fulton County)

p85 yes

p89 yes

P87 never was one!!

P85 MARK II is a P85 MARK II not a P87

sorry ruger never made a P87

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast