Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger P89

(Centre County)

Default Re: Ruger P89

I have a P89 DC. Everyone was right on about it being a reliable, bulky, heavy, brick of a gun. The triggers are long and heavy in DA and creepy in SA mode. One thing I have found with every P89 I have handled was how loose fitted of a pistol they are. Excellent for reliability but bad for accuracy. If you do pick one up invest in Hogue rubber grips(a must IMO) and several 17 round Mec-Gar magazines.

(Beaver County)

I carry a Ruger P95DC. I like the gun, it is accurate and the De-cock makes it safer than many to carry and easy to ready for firing. The gun is heavy and bulky for concealing though. The Ruger P-Series are all very similar but the features vary. I think the P89 is karger than most of the other model in the P-series, again making it hard to conceal. Hope this helps.

(York County)

Thanks for the helpful advice. I picked up a P89 with a manual safety in blued finish at Gander Mountain on Saturday. (Not necessarily the favorite place to buy, but they had it in stock and were within $15 of the best price I could find. A second trip to York would cost me more than that.)

It shoots great in my opinion. I've not had the wealth of shooting experience that many of you have had, but I'm very satisfied with the shootability. Yes, long first trigger pull, but accuracy seemed good to me.

Now, I'll have to find out how well I can conceal it. Next order of business is holster shopping.

(York County)

I like my P89, I think it fires rather well and is very acccurate no matter what ammo I throw in. As far as being to bulky to carry concealed that really depends on the person. As a smaller person I have to take extra care when I carry it concealed.

Everyone has already said everything there is to know about the P89.

I will add this:

I bought the P89 eighteen years ago when I was a single dad with a one year old in the house. I picked the P89 because it was so damn hard to chamber a bullet and pull the trigger (the first time). Just in case my son ever got to it before he was old enough to be taught responsibility, I wanted a pistol that was a bitch to load and shoot.

Lately I've been taking my tiny little (left handed) wife to the range. She loves the accuracy of the P89, but I can see her grimace every time she works the slide.

Never jammed. Never let me down. Great for practical pistol competitions. I just got CCarry, and I realize I'd sooner hide a 58 Packard under my sports jacket than this brick. I'm finally shopping for a smaller weapon.

I do love this gun. It has worn very, very well. Hardly any paint wear showing. Looks like it just came off the showroom floor.

(Lehigh County)

i was looking at a 95 or the sr9... the sr9 got my vote because it is alot slimmer.... the 95 looked twice as big... and my sr9 is slim and sexy..

(Cumberland County)

I carry a p95 in a IWB holster like don hume, same design anyhow. Its not easiest carry sometimes, but it deff. can be done. You tend to get used to it after awhile. The triggers get alot better after some wear. They get smoother but still not great. As to the safty, an cock an locked. I got a DC, so I cant carry cocked an locked. I sometimes just cock it an holster it, if you keep your finger of the trigger till you want to shoot your fine. Since the trigger pull is tough, an I can get a full hand around the grip without my finger near the trigger. It doesnt bother me to carry without a saftey. Im sure some will give me hell for this but I been doing it since I got the gun an practice like that as well.( Nuthing in the chamber while practiceing of course.) I use my hoslter an my saftey, just as someone would a glock carrying one in the pipe.
    Last edited by 40 cal; April 15th, 2009 at 03:32 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Ruger P89

I have owned a Ruger P89 for several years now and have never had a problem at with mine. The only addition to mine is a Hogue rubber grip with finger grooves and a pre ban Hi cap mag. I Love my Ruger and would NEVER get rid of it but I must confess it is a little much for a cc weapon (although I do carry mine in the winter under a coat in a sholder holster). I also have a concealment fanny pack for it that I never use, In my opinion they just scream gun to people (My first thought whenever I see someone wearing one). For cc I usually carry a Charter Arms Undercover 38 special and just recently purchased a New Generation S&W Sigma in 9mm, Yeah Ive seen the bad press about the trigger, But after shooting my Ruger I have no issues with it, Besides S&W will rework it for you free if you want them too. (Thats a whole nother forum LOL)

(Lackawanna County)

would anyone recommend getting a beretta m92f over a ruger p89?

(Bucks County)

both are nice pistols. the beretta is probably slimmer than the ruger. and probably lighter than the ruger.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast