Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger P89

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Ruger P89

Quote Originally Posted by Wndr9 View Post
    Anybody have any experience with the Ruger P89? I'm looking to purchase one as a home defense/concealed carry piece.

Any thoughts on the models with safety vs. decock only?
    One more thing before we get too carried away here.

Pay attention to the recoil spring assembly. The newer ones were marked, with paint i think, for which way they go. the older ones take an actual looking at to see which way the flared end is. It will go back together with the spring in backward. And it might even fire a couple of times. A friend of mine had a P90 and put the spring in backward. It went off once and hung open with the slide locked in a 3/4 or so forward with a coil of the spring sticking through. Ruger wouldn't replace it under warranty because he was the idiot that put it in backward. His nephew bought a new one about a year later and he warned him about the spring. They disassembled it and it had the new painted spring in it, making him look like a bigger idiot for putting it in wrong.

Something to pay attention to depending on how new/old what you're looking at is.
    Thanks

Correcting the world's problems, one squeeze at a time.

I don't your body type, but for me the Ruger pistols ARE too big and bulky for carry. Great range pistols, but I wouldn't want to carry one around all day long.

(York County)

Thank you all for your comments. You've been very helpful. This thread is my first post on the sight. I appreciate all of the insight.

If memory serves me correctly, the P89 is aluminum frame, the P95 is polymer frame.

Does anyone have any experience with the polymer frame? Is the bulkiness reduced any? I believe it is about 1/2 inch shorter and 5 oz. lighter.

The P89 does seem to fit my hand pretty well. I can't comment on its concealability-I've never carried YET (live in PA, work in MD kind of limits my ability to carry).

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wndr9 View Post
    Thank you all for your comments. You've been very helpful. This thread is my first post on the sight. I appreciate all of the insight.

If memory serves me correctly, the P89 is aluminum frame, the P95 is polymer frame.

Does anyone have any experience with the polymer frame? Is the bulkiness reduced any? I believe it is about 1/2 inch shorter and 5 oz. lighter.

The P89 does seem to fit my hand pretty well. I can't comment on its concealability-I've never carried YET (live in PA, work in MD kind of limits my ability to carry).
    A friend bought a P95DC when it first came out. I know that it was physically a little smaller but overall pretty much the same fit and style. They are a polymer lower assembly and when I last talked to him he hadn't had any issues with it. But comparing the two in 9mm the difference, I think, is negligable. It's a bit shorter, but width and height I think are about the same. According to Ruger's website the P89 is 32oz and 7 3/4" the P95 is 27oz and 7 1/4".
    Thanks

Correcting the world's problems, one squeeze at a time.

(Lackawanna County)

I hav eone. the thing is a tank. Get some new sights and shoot the hell out of it. It was the first gun i ever owned. My grandfather gave it to me.

Thumbs up Re: Ruger P89

Eats anything! Had ones yrs. ago! Got rid of it because it was just to BIG to carry!
    "343" Never Forgotten

(Lancaster County)

Buy it.
    They're Concealable.

http://www.slcfsa.com/index.html
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1130&dateline=1165613  693Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RugerNiner View Post
    Buy it.
    They're Concealable.
    The question now becomes how much of their stock do you own? LOL... Man, that is some Ruger collection you've got there.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(York County)

Are you looking to sell one of those by any chance? Nice collection. I'm very much jealous!

BTW, what holster(s) do you use to carry?
    Last edited by Wndr9; January 11th, 2007 at 12:54 PM. Reason: addition

(Lancaster County)

Galco Fletch for belt carry and Don Hume for IWB.
    I have a IWB for my P-95 9mm and another formy P-90 45 cal.
    http://www.slcfsa.com/index.html
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1130&dateline=1165613  693Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast