Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default FEG PA-63 9x18 pistol

Just bought an old FEG PA-63 9x18 pistol from a friend. While this gun is a great size and accurate, it kills my hand down in the web between my thumb and pointer finger. From some research, it seems the factory recoil spring is too light (I did notice mine was ejecting the spent shells really far and fast!) and the hammer spring is too heavy. Part of the hammering my hand took was due to the position my hand had to have on the grip since it has a thumbrest that is very high on the left side. So, at the advice of other threads and gun sites, I ordered new recoil and hammer springs from Wolff and already got some flat grips from Vintage Gun Grips. I want to turn this into a fun little shooter but also a reliable conceal gun.

Does anyone on here have any experience with this gun or own one? I'm curious of your thoughts on it as well!

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: FEG PA-63 9x18 pistol

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    Just bought an old FEG PA-63 9x18 pistol from a friend. While this gun is a great size and accurate, it kills my hand down in the web between my thumb and pointer finger. From some research, it seems the factory recoil spring is too light (I did notice mine was ejecting the spent shells really far and fast!) and the hammer spring is too heavy. Part of the hammering my hand took was due to the position my hand had to have on the grip since it has a thumbrest that is very high on the left side. So, at the advice of other threads and gun sites, I ordered new recoil and hammer springs from Wolff and already got some flat grips from Vintage Gun Grips. I want to turn this into a fun little shooter but also a reliable conceal gun.

Does anyone on here have any experience with this gun or own one? I'm curious of your thoughts on it as well!
    Get a Hogue Handball JR. slip on grip for it, your hand will thank you, i had one and it shot well, ammo WAS cheap and there was PLENTY of it to be had, mine liked the Brown Bear FMJ, steel case ammo, get a holster for a Walther PP or PPK as the PA63 fits in them, i sold mine to a giood friend that needed a carry gun and he carries it everyday.

Good luck with yours.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

(Lancaster County)

Someone else also suggested the Hogue grip. This is going to be the next addition I look for for this gun! Thanks!

(Lancaster County)

Ok, the new grips are on and the new springs are installed. My question- will the new springs help or hurt the longevity of the gun? Some people believe that less recoil is better for the gun, but others believe it increases wear.

(Centre County)

PA63 was my very first pistol.
    I bought it for $100 way back when things were much cheaper.
    no doubt my fevorite 9x18 chambered gun!

I kept thinking to myself that I'm gonna get one again when I come across one cheap
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Lackawanna County)

Ok, the new grips are on and the new springs are installed. My question- will the new springs help or hurt the longevity of the gun? Some people believe that less recoil is better for the gun, but others believe it increases wear.
    I don't think you have to worry about wearing the gun out, they were over built to begin with, just enjoy the gun, find the ammo that it will run good with, practice and carry it.

Another gun that takes the 9x18 round is the P64, all steel, good shooter, brutal recoil, then there is the Makarov, there are 2 versions, both take the 9x18 round, 1 is a commercial [ export ] double stack gun and the other is slightly smaller [ military-police ] single stack gun.

(Bucks County)

I own one also ....... Great shooter ..... ..... I polished the ramp and cleaned up thr ridge between the ramp and barrel ..... It eats everthing I have put in it ..... Wolff makes a spring kit .... Replaced all springs ( I used the heaviest recoil they had),replaced the thumb rest grips only because ITW thumb rest is uncomforatble ....... As was said before PPK holsters work fine as it is somewhat of a clone ....... 50 rds russian ammo can be had for 13 a box ...... You won't wear it out .....

(Dauphin County)

I had one for a while. It was a good shooter. I replaced the factory springs with some heavier ones. I loosened up the trigger pull a bit too. (well I had my ffl do it) Great gun. Ate any kind of crap ammo I could find for it. Just so happened, I had a buddy that wanted a gun about that time, so I sold it to him. He was happy and I still get to shoot it from time to time.

(Lancaster County)

Well, the new grips are on and all the Wolff springs are installed! I put 100 rounds through it today and it is a wonderful gun! It shot perfectly and very accurately. The 2 guys that were along thought it shot pretty well too. This is going to be my carry gun now!

(Lackawanna County)

Well, the new grips are on and all the Wolff springs are installed! I put 100 rounds through it today and it is a wonderful gun! It shot perfectly and very accurately. The 2 guys that were along thought it shot pretty well too. This is going to be my carry gun now!
    I'm glad that you made it a good shooter for yourself, also SGAMMO has 9x18 Brown Bear for $ 12.95 a box and it's in stock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast