Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default What would you do

An off duty police officer was in a dry cleaners picking up her clothes. An armed robber entered the store with a gun to rob the store as the robber had his gun pointed at the clerk. The police officer pulled out her gun and pointed it at the robber and said Drop Your Gun. Well she didn’t even get the whole sentence out of her mouth and the robber just turned around and shot her dead.

Now would you warn the robber like she did or would you shoot with out warning him?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: What would you do

Quote Originally Posted by Nightman View Post
    An off duty police officer was in a dry cleaners picking up her clothes. An armed robber entered the store with a gun to rob the store as the robber had his gun pointed at the clerk. The police officer pulled out her gun and pointed it at the robber and said Drop Your Gun. Well she didn’t even get the whole sentence out of her mouth and the robber just turned around and shot her dead.

Now would you warn the robber like she did or would you shoot with out warning him?
    Assuming no other mitigating factors, you don't warn. Just shoot.

(Bucks County)

Ditto, I'd shoot without making a peep.

I dont believe its very realistic, the officer would have a big time advantage over the perp. Now the perp blowing away to clerk is a possibility but still unlikely.

(Dauphin County)

i agree id be shooting.....

(Montgomery County)

That's an easy one, I'd be shooting no doubt, but like XD45 said, a situation like that is very unlikely.

Proud member of:

(York County)

What? Did that really happen? Sounds a little far fetched to me, but hey you never know, right?

Brown-I'd a shot himin the face 1st-Bear
    3%

(Luzerne County)

It sure did happen I think it was in ny I am not sure. As soon as he heard her speak he just turned and shot. I would not even waste my time trying to talk him out of it. But one thing you have to remember is that police are suppose to try to control the scene with out deadly force bad rule in this case.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nightman View Post

All the cops I've trained with have obviously been trained to yell "STOP!" before shooting. They do it automatically. Assuming your scenerio is hypothetical (not to criticize any real person who gave their life trying to help someone else), yelling "STOP" does not mean you take your eyes off what's happening and in a scenerio like this, the cop is pointed in and ready to fire and had better have moved at least a step one way or the other to have a clear shot at BG (without endangering clerk). BG does not drop gun as commanded but starts to turn with it in hand. BG should be full of holes right now.

Thinking about it carefully, I don't really know what I'd do as a civilian. I obviously have to think about this one a little more to get it dialed in. If I left the store to call the cops and the clerk ended up getting shot and killed, I don't know if I could live with myself.

Whatever -- to answer your question, ideally seek cover while drawing, warn, shoot. Ideally.

I was recently at a training facility where they gave a demonstration as to what can happen if you do warn. To cut to the chase, the guy acting as the BG would get two shots on target before the good guy could get even the first syllable out of his mouth (and he did it without even looking at the gun or target but that's was a different part of the demonstration ). Something to think about too.
    Last edited by Philadelphia; April 17th, 2008 at 09:10 AM.

(Wayne County)

Shoot the F'er....then tell him to drop the gun....so you got a little confused and did things backwards. I doubt the clerk would say you were wrong.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast