Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: How do you carry in your vehicle?

Appendix carry and/or pocket carry. I can appendix carry a full size M&P in a Dale Fricke archangel just fine. Yes it is pointed at my leg at times, but it is in a good kydex holster and the firearm is in good working order… I have no fears of an ND.

How many have left your cellphone in the car? Unless I was going on 1.5+ trips I would not take my firearm off my body. Not only is it something to be left in the car, but if not secured properly can easily become a projectile in a crash.
    Slow is smooth, smooth is fast... but only hits count

(Allegheny County)

Where I keep the pistol when driving all depends on a lot of factors.

I normally carry IWB at about 8:00 (another lefty), and with the deep bucket seats of my car, the handle/hammer can dig into my ribs quite uncomfortably - almost painfully. So, if I'm carrying the m40, I'll sometimes stick it in the door pocket. In the holster, it fits very snuggly, and stays put. But it's also snug enough that drawing in a hurry would be extremely difficult.

The 1911 is too big for the door pocket, so I have no choice but to leave it on my body. But since the grip is longer, it doesn't dig into my ribs quite as sharply. But it's still fairly uncomfortable in the deep buckets.

I've debated carrying cross-draw in the car, but the seatbelt latch seems like it would get in the way...

(Mercer County)

I typically keep the gun in my holster right on my hip. I have also kept the gun in its holster and placed it in the middle console next to my right leg.
    Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by WVneighbor View Post
    Just two points to make ...

1 - Every time you unholster your firearm, you create a chance for that firearm to discharge, whether by choice, or by negligence. The fewer times you unholster/reholster the better off you are.

2 - Unsecured in a cup holder, wedged between the seat and center console, jammed into some nook or cranny? That's just stupid. Go check out Newton and the law of inertia, or watch some crash test vids and see how common, ordinary objects become life-threatening projectiles in a crash.
    I hear you!!!!!!! Last year, my wife and I were rear ended by a tractor trailer. We were going downhill about 75 mph. Had I had a pistol wedged somewhere in the vehicle my sense is it would have been dislodged and, perhaps, turned into a flying projectile.

I'll ALWAYS keep my pistol, in a holster, on my body.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234