Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default CIP / FINCEN / Patriot Act

CIP = Customer Identification Program

So I'm at the credit union today transacting a cash deposit of $400 into a savings account and the Teller informs me they need to scan a copy of my drivers license for their file. I'm not sure if they wanted a hard copy print or an electronic file in the form of a bitmap or jpeg, etc.

I decline and another lady tells me it's federal law. I know this seems to be a policy intitiative of many financial institutions in order to comply with certain provisions of the patriot act.

In any event I declined and told them I would research the matter in depth myself. No other financial institution where I have active accounts has requested a copy of my license.

From what I've researched, my understanding is that identification is only required when amounts of $10,000 or greater are transacted.

I surfed this site www.bankersonline.com for information.

Can any of you Wall Street types shed more light on the subject?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: CIP / FINCEN / Patriot Act

LOL Put in in the ATM and they won't pull that crap with you! Of course you're not supposed to put cash in there I think, but I've done it before!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    CIP = Customer Identification Program

So I'm at the credit union today transacting a cash deposit of $400 into a savings account and the Teller informs me they need to scan a copy of my drivers license for their file. I'm not sure if they wanted a hard copy print or an electronic file in the form of a bitmap or jpeg, etc.

I decline and another lady tells me it's federal law. I know this seems to be a policy intitiative of many financial institutions in order to comply with certain provisions of the patriot act.

In any event I declined and told them I would research the matter in depth myself. No other financial institution where I have active accounts has requested a copy of my license.

From what I've researched, my understanding is that identification is only required when amounts of $10,000 or greater are transacted.

I surfed this site www.bankersonline.com for information.

Can any of you Wall Street types shed more light on the subject?
    FWIW, when I opened the bank account I currently have, I was asked for proof of identity. I provided my license, but no copy of the license was made. They verified the photo and took down the license number on the application. I was also NOT asked for my Social Security number either.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Erie County)

Damn... must have alot of terrorists living in your neighborhood.

I never go into banks, just use the ATM. Ours let us use cash or checks.

If it isn't the banks policy, more likely than not the gov't stopped by and ASKED them copy IDs for large cash deposits. Just like when the gov't stops by your local public library and trolls for information. Off the record of course.

Added.... I like how friendly that program name sounds. Almost makes me feel if I'm the 100th customer to be spied on I win a prize

(Cambria County)

For $400, that was a little excessive. The bank MUST file paperwork on amounts of $10,000 or more for a single transaction, and sometimes numerous transactions within a few days to avoid that limit (a technique known as "smurfing"). I could understand if the amount was $4,000, but for $400? I think someone was being a bit "overzealous".
    Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in every caliber.

I'm armed and menopausal...Excuse me, did you have something to say?