Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bedford County)

Default Model 94 Trapper .44 Magnum

Back in 2003 or so when I lived in Jeff Davis County, TX, I heard about the closing of Winchester's New Haven plant, and drove immediately over to my nearest gun dealer in Alpine, TX, and purchased a Model 94 Trapper in .44 Magnum. This is a wonderful gun, very accurate with open sights up to 50 yards.

I only have two problems with it:

1: The lever rattles when I carry it in the woods. Is there any way to tighten it up?

2: There are two extraneous safeties... the tang safety and the button safety under the lever.

Does anyone know of a talented gunsmith somewhere near me that could customize my gun by eliminating these two safeties? The way I see it, the hammer is the only safety needed. Don't cock the hammer until you are ready to shoot. The rest just seems like it's in the way.

Last edited by jdpate; April 16th, 2008 at 06:25 PM.
    "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day." -George Carlin

(Centre County)

Default Re: Model 94 Trapper .44 Magnum

The safeties were probably put on when everyone was running scared about liability and the manufactures were trying to save us from ourselves. I have no doubt that a smith could disable/remove but then that opens them to liability lawsuits if someone got hurt. The lawyer would immediately tell the jury that the gunsmith should have known that disabling the safeties could lead to an accident and as such he should have refused to do the work. But since he did the work, he should be held liable. If you you don't want to use the safeties then just don't use them. Plus if they are removed you'll have holes where they are supposed to be. What are you going to do if you someday want to sell it? I know I'd be real leery about buying a gun that had the safeties removed. Just my 2 cents.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Hokkmike Guest

Just picked up one of those.

Is 50 yards the best you can do?

I was hoping for 150 at least.

I am leaving my safe button in place. The only objection to them is that they have been unsightly....Not enough for me to worry about. If you leave it off it is like it is never there anyway.

No rattle with mine. I suspect that you CAN tighten yours up.

I have a question. There is a small crack in my stock. Will any post 64 94 stock fit the Wrangler?

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    Just picked up one of those.

Is 50 yards the best you can do?

I was hoping for 150 at least.

I am leaving my safe button in place. The only objection to them is that they have been unsightly....Not enough for me to worry about. If you leave it off it is like it is never there anyway.

No rattle with mine. I suspect that you CAN tighten yours up.

I have a question. There is a small crack in my stock. Will any post 64 94 stock fit the Wrangler?
    50 yards is not necessarily "the best I can do", but it is the range at which I am most comfortable with this gun and its open sights. For a thick woods gun, it can't be beat, and it has plenty of smack-down power for anything that walks on 2-4 legs in the Alleghenies.

How should I go about tightening the slight side to side movement in the lever?
    "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day." -George Carlin