Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Philly LTCF Troubles, Gun Permit Unit and "45 days"

So, Monday the 22nd was my 45 calender days with Philadelphia. Because I did not receive my approval letter in the mail, I went down to the gun permit to try and get my license anyway. Well, even though i read it on here a million times that Philly sucks, I should have figured Philly wasnt going to follow the law.

After signing in and waiting 20 minutes, they call my name and ask for my DL and my approval letter. I say to the woman: "It has been 45 calender days since I have applied, I do not have my approval letter yet but I figured I could save you the postage of having to mail it". The woman tells me: "It is 45 business days, not calender days". I correct her, and cite the law, telling her that it is indeed 45 calender days and that the Gun Permit Unit is violating state law by not issuing my license. Her response is: "Well, we do not work 45 days straight, so that doesnt apply".

I realized I was not going to get through to this woman, and asked to speak to Lt. Lisa King. I was then told that I would not be allowed to speak to Lt. King, but they would instead give me a sergeant. The sergeant comes over, and again tells me it takes 45 business days, and I once again have to correct another worker at the GPU. The sergeant got mad that I corrected her, and told me something along the lines of "You have to wait until we feel like issuing the license, be patient like everyone else. You are not getting it today no matter what, it is not ready yet".

Again I realized I was making no progress with the sergeant and asked for Lt. King once again. The sergeant reaffirmed I would not be able to speak to her. I asked when the next time Lt King was working, and they told me theyre not going to tell me; and when I asked for her contact information I was told to "keep calling the GPU and hope shes here". Everything about the conduct of the GPU today was very rude, demeaning, and they blatantly gave the finger to state law and admitted that they make their own laws.

So, needless to say Im very pissed off about today. I left empty handed, and I do not know what I should do next. I went to Internal Affairs and filed a complaint again the Gun Permit Unit; and IA said they would assign an investigator to the case. Im hoping IA gets something done, or that the GPU realizes that they should issue me my license before I bury them in paperwork.

Honestly, Id like to sue the city I just cant afford a lawyer right now. (unless others would be willing to contribute to fight the city).

But for now, I guess im going to have to wait 45 business days then go down again. If I do not have my approval letter by 45 business days, I am not leaving the office until they issue me the license.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what I should do now, or what I could have done differently? What can I do to make this situation better?

(Venango County)

Default Re: Philly LTCF Troubles, Gun Permit Unit and "45 days"

You have a few options right now.

1. Suck it up and deal with it. Many people have told them the same thing you did.you would be further ahead to cite the law to a bag of doorknobs.

2. Sit around and complain. This normally comes after number one anyways. And since IA isn't going to bother with what you filed, it might end up coming to this anyways.

3. Fight. It has been talked about, and suggested many times. And you even mentioned it briefly. I don't know how much could be raised. But I bet a lot of our members who have had the same issue would help out.

4. Be an "ass". Go down every day and ask if it is ready. They might just get sick and tired of you bugging them, and print it out.

I will tell you though. When I got mine in Venango, it took less than 15 minutes. And I have asked our sheriff on the turn around, he has even said unless they are extremely busy, they process it the same day.

The choices are yours, only you can make them.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Venango County)

Technically, being busy is not an excuse. This would be a must issue situation. Lacking a positive reason why the license should not be issued at the end of 45 days, the license must be issued, even if it is later revoked when or if a cause is finally found to deny it. This is the way a right is supposed to work. I don't think the 45 day requirement is a time allowance so much as a deadline.

It is great to see how various branches of government like to twist the law. I hope someday the judicial branch will set right the executive branch of government. There never should have been a city of the first class distinction, it has become a jumping off point for all sorts of corruption and bastardization of law and enforcement there-of. I thought all people were to be equal and afforded equal protection under the law. Philly is a special enclave where equality is dispensed per the whims of government and the elite.

I am absolutely no help, here, but had to vent.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Chester County)

Imagine that, the Police obstructing the laws they were hired to enforce. Don't you understand the Police are under no obligation to follow the law, that's their law.

You'll just have to be patient it is after all their license and don't have to give it to anyone they don't like. You have no rights in Philadelphia. You'll have whatever they decide to give you.

Come to think of it, isn't this the defintion of tyranny?
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by nick2570 View Post
    Honestly, Id like to sue the city I just cant afford a lawyer right now. (unless others would be willing to contribute to fight the city).
    A lawyer should take this type of case on contingency. You might be expected to cover expenses if you lose but you could discuss that with the lawyer up front. Possibly just having a lawyer contact the PPD might shake things loose.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    A lawyer should take this type of case on contingency. You might be expected to cover expenses if you lose but you could discuss that with the lawyer up front. Possibly just having a lawyer contact the PPD might shake things loose.
    Let's face it. By the time the lawyer was ready to get things started, the OP would likely already have it.

This crap needs to stop. Philly has made up their mind that they don't have to follow the rules. I think it is time to make them listen.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Lawrence County)

OP, read this, then you'll know who to call: http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...s-45-days.html

(Montgomery County)

Send me a private message with your name and contact information and I may be able to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by nick2570 View Post
    So, Monday the 22nd was my 45 calender days with Philadelphia. Because I did not receive my approval letter in the mail, I went down to the gun permit to try and get my license anyway. Well, even though i read it on here a million times that Philly sucks, I should have figured Philly wasnt going to follow the law.

After signing in and waiting 20 minutes, they call my name and ask for my DL and my approval letter. I say to the woman: "It has been 45 calender days since I have applied, I do not have my approval letter yet but I figured I could save you the postage of having to mail it". The woman tells me: "It is 45 business days, not calender days". I correct her, and cite the law, telling her that it is indeed 45 calender days and that the Gun Permit Unit is violating state law by not issuing my license. Her response is: "Well, we do not work 45 days straight, so that doesnt apply".

I realized I was not going to get through to this woman, and asked to speak to Lt. Lisa King. I was then told that I would not be allowed to speak to Lt. King, but they would instead give me a sergeant. The sergeant comes over, and again tells me it takes 45 business days, and I once again have to correct another worker at the GPU. The sergeant got mad that I corrected her, and told me something along the lines of "You have to wait until we feel like issuing the license, be patient like everyone else. You are not getting it today no matter what, it is not ready yet".

Again I realized I was making no progress with the sergeant and asked for Lt. King once again. The sergeant reaffirmed I would not be able to speak to her. I asked when the next time Lt King was working, and they told me theyre not going to tell me; and when I asked for her contact information I was told to "keep calling the GPU and hope shes here". Everything about the conduct of the GPU today was very rude, demeaning, and they blatantly gave the finger to state law and admitted that they make their own laws.

So, needless to say Im very pissed off about today. I left empty handed, and I do not know what I should do next. I went to Internal Affairs and filed a complaint again the Gun Permit Unit; and IA said they would assign an investigator to the case. Im hoping IA gets something done, or that the GPU realizes that they should issue me my license before I bury them in paperwork.

But for now, I guess im going to have to wait 45 business days then go down again. If I do not have my approval letter by 45 business days, I am not leaving the office until they issue me the license.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what I should do now, or what I could have done differently? What can I do to make this situation better?

In one of the other threads on this topic, an applicant told how he gave the Gun Unit people a coronary. He said that "Deputy Inspector Levin and Captain Healey have determined it is 45 calender days" and their eyeballs popped! A little name dropping and threats of communicating with those supervisors may have an effect.

(Philadelphia County)

Honestly, I really would be interested in attempting to sue the city. Anybody here have any interest in helping me out, or have any idea of where to start? Even though I will have my LTCF by the time the lawyer did anything, I would still like to do it so that nobody else has to suffer through Phillys negligence.

But yeah I will keep you all posted on what's going on, what IA does, and when I eventually get my license.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast