Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Stopping Power of various Calibers

Regardless of caliber, this study without a doubt proves though that throwing a marshmellow is more effective than leaving your gun at home in the safe!!

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    They are designed around FMJ to create a causality that a medic has to deal with.
    Exactly! Few people realize this.

Bill

edit: I suppose this doesn't matter with a insurgency force where the objective is to die.

(Blair County)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCUFzNLHP2Q
    probably wont change anyones mind, but its entertaining.
    I always wondered how close in power a 6" 10mm is compared to 44 mag.

the studies I've read may be a bit old but concluded a 357 with a 125gr bullet was "best". I believe placement is what counts most and most of the calibers listed if good quality will do the job if you put them in the right place. as a former rn I've treated maybe 6 gsw's, and they do some weird, often unexpected things. a small light 22 can tumble and travel where you wouldn't expect and be lethal. and I had a kid with a self inflicted 45 acp into the mid upper thigh travel down his leg, past the knee joint and exit the calf without touching any bone/tendon/important nerves, arteries or veins. he was walking on crutches in 2 days. would have thought for sure he would have bled out or lost the leg from the knee down.

(Chester County)

Just watched this after coming across it on another forum. Debunks some myths and clarifies differences in caliber and platform.

It's all been said in earlier threads. The debate on caliber or even manufacturer of any weapon is a matter of opinion. Period. Pretty simple equations on speed and bullet mass but again and as was said here and for over hundreds of years in these debates in countless camps, bars, clubs, shooting ranges and households, it's up to the person on what they can afford to purchase and supply, comfortably carry, shoot effectively and promote self confidence in any situation that arises.
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Carbon County)

I see this argument all the time concerning deer and "Knock down power". It is pretty simple. Can you knock them down with one shot? Sure, if you take out the nervous system or hit a major bone. I have literally flipped two deer over on their back, feet in the air, ears twitching. It takes a certain chain of events for it to happen, but it can. I shot a deer that was running past me and hit it in the shoulder with a .308 and it tumbled like a shot rabbit. I shot a deer running away from me and it dropped like a bag of cement and slid in the leaves.

Back to handguns. I bet if you shoot a guy right in the sternum with a .45 ACP, he is going down. I always looked at physics as a rough outline.

Large bore powerful revolvers, because it's self defense.

(Bucks County)

When semi-autos came into demand due to the Miami-Dade shootout, it stirred inputs from experts. One of the prevailing opinions that slowed the transition was expert warning that changing from revolver to semi-auto would demand twice the range time per annum to get personnel in tune with the difference and stay tuned.

With a little time, it was generally realized that the 9mm of the era was below the power of the .357 magnum in 125 grains, spawning the answer in the form of the 124 grain .357 Sig.

The latest studies indicate that the current 9mms are as good as any other caliber handgun, with all requiring two center mass hits or a lucky interruption to the vial nervous system. That, combined with the realization that many shots miss the mark and the more available the better, has brought the modern 9mm back to the top of the heap.

Being as good a caliber as any, and offering the most rounds per magazine load, also affording ergonomic designs of pistols, it is just the logical choice.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Bucks County)

When semi-autos came into demand due to the Miami-Dade shootout, it stirred inputs from experts. One of the prevailing opinions that slowed the transition was expert warning that changing from revolver to semi-auto would demand twice the range time per annum to get personnel in tune with the difference and stay tuned.

With a little time, it was generally realized that the 9mm of the era was below the power of the .357 magnum in 125 grains, spawning the answer in the form of the 124 grain .357 Sig...which approaches the terminal energy of the magnum, but does fall a little short.

The latest studies indicate that the current 9mms are as good as any other caliber handgun, with all requiring two center mass hits or a lucky interruption to the vial nervous system. That, combined with the realization that many shots miss the mark and the more available the better, has brought the modern 9mm back to the top of the heap.

Being as good a caliber as any, and offering the most rounds per magazine load, also affording ergonomic designs of pistols, it is just the logical choice.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast