Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: SBR question

(Philadelphia County)

Default SBR question

I was looking into buying a Sig 553 pistol and converting it to an SBR by adding a buttstock. I understand the process of applying for the SBR and having the weapon engraved but I was wondering if after all was done whether I could take the buttstock off and sell the weapon as a pistol again. I may do this 5 years from now or 20. I've read the ATF website but they only talk about replacing the barrel.

Thanks for the Advice in Advance.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: SBR question

Since it started out as a handgun - possibly.

However, without properly "deregistering" it - if you remove the stock and sell it, it is still registered as a SBR. With SBR's and SBS's, the actual present build status is what truly matters to the law. If you "de-NFA"(lack of a better term) the gun, then the NFA really doesn't apply to it. But that still doesn't negate the fact that it is still registered as a SBR.

...so, if someone were to buy it, then get picked up by the police, they run that serial number or trace things, and it reports back to you as a NFA weapon. ....which you sold to another person without a proper taxed transfer - guess who is going to be in trouble?
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for the reply. I understood it to be that way I just needed a little reassurance.

(Blair County)

you just send in a letter to the atfe telling them to take it off the nfa regulatory.

(Westmoreland County)

While the ATF *really, really, really* wants you to inform them of the change back to a Title I firearm, there can not make you under law. That firearm can be made back into a pistol or a rifle and sold as normal.

If it were me, I'd take the 5 mins to draft up a letter and mail it in to make the changes to the registry. Gotta CYA!
    CDS ARMS.com - 'LIKE' Us - MG Rentals - Colt Defense AR-15 & Glock Certified Armorer

(Northampton County)

I have read that SBR/SBS receivers are Title I firearms parts when they are configured as firearms that are not configured as SBR/SBS. Even on a temporary basis.

But I am NOT a lawyer.

I have also read you can write a letter to ATF and ask them to remove from registry.

It's up to you to find out for sure, but if it were me, I'm comfortable enough to proceed with those goals right now.