Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Toomey responds to defeat "The Public Safety & 2A Rights Protection Act"

In my email this morning ...

The Public Safety & Second Amendment Rights Protection Act

This week, I worked with Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) on legislation that would have made it harder for criminals and the dangerously mentally ill to obtain guns while preserving the rights of law-abiding people to do so. The bill did not move forward in the Senate.

This amendment would have helped enhance public safety while still protecting the Second Amendment. I understand the passions on both sides of this issue. I did what I thought was the right thing for our country. I sought out a compromise position that I thought could move the ball forward on an important matter of public safety.

My only regret is that our amendment did not pass. It's not the outcome I hoped for, but the Senate has spoken on the subject, and it's time to move on. We have a lot of other very important issues to deal with such as getting the economy back on track, dealing with the debt ceiling and creating more jobs for Pennsylvanians.
    Philly.com article

http://articles.philly.com/2013-04-1...gop-colleagues

Toomey: 'I gave this my best shot'

WASHINGTON - After two weeks in the national spotlight, Sen. Pat Toomey was ready to move on.

Toomey, seeming refreshed Thursday after the deflating defeat of his background-check plan the day before, greeted reporters with a smile as he rode an escalator up from the Capitol's subway platform. But the Pennsylvania Republican did not want to talk much about the fight that had put him at the center of the political and cultural maelstrom on gun laws.

"The Senate has spoken on this," Toomey said. "It's not obvious to me what alternative path forward there is. I gave this my best shot."

He had taken a risk in cosponsoring a bipartisan bill to expand background checks for gun purchases, defying his party and the National Rifle Association and stepping outside his preferred turf - fiscal policy.

His face had been on the front page of the New York Times, he had been sought out by Sunday morning talk shows, and he'd even been parodied on Saturday Night Live.

But needing 60 votes Wednesday, he came up short. His bill was blocked by fellow Republicans and a handful of Democrats.

That night, his voice was flat and weary. He said he had "no regrets."

The slender Toomey's burly partner on the bill, Sen. Joe Manchin (D., W.Va.), sounded ready to keep brawling, even as most of Washington dusted itself off and moved on.

~snip~

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Toomey responds to defeat "The Public Safety & 2A Rights Protection Act"

I hope he enjoyed his 15 minutes of fame. Our turncoat Senator made a deal with those who will never support him while pissing off those who would have supported him. Sounds like an end to a political career. Good riddance.

Default Re: Toomey responds to defeat "The Public Safety & 2A Rights Protection Act"

Goodbye Toomey. I touched the screen for you last time, I will not this time.
    In order to get intelligent answers you must speak intelligently.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lazylaser View Post
    Goodbye Toomey. I touched the screen for you last time, I will not this time.
    Toomey, "YOU JUST COST YOURSELF A SOUP!"

(Lycoming County)

Ill vote for a damn Demotard before I vote for Toomey again. At least with a Democrat you know what you are gstting (a douchbag ) with Toomey we got a wolf in sheeps clothing.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Billpfirman View Post
    Ill vote for a damn Demotard before I vote for Toomey again. At least with a Democrat you know what you are gstting (a douchbag ) with Toomey we got a wolf in sheeps clothing.
    Actually, you got a sheep dressed as a wolf. or , put differently, you got a pussy dressed as a man!

(Chester County)

Toomey gambled and lost, and got taken by the Democrats, who have now purposely put him at risk. They want that seat, and this is how they will get it.

(Pike County)

I'll give him this - he accepted his defeat without whining like a certain someone we all know...

Let's make sure to kick ass and take names in the Republican primaries for next Senatorial election. Don't sit home! None of us wanna vote for a Democrat (I don't personally like either party but I hate the dems just a little more), so we gotta make sure we destroy worlds in the primary. It will also make the next GOP Senator who'll succeed Toomey think twice before crossing the people of PA on gun rights.

Let's all make sure that after we vote on primary day, we stand outside with a sign - no matter how crappy it is - reminding people to vote against Toomey for his treachery!

(Allegheny County)

He's a turncoat and will be a one term senator. I probably won't be living in this state come that time as I have plans to head south within the next two years, if those plans change he will not get my vote.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Billpfirman View Post
    So you'd rather have an AWB, magazine limit, and ban on private sales than a small expansion in background checks? Come on.

I hope Toomey is ignoring all the temper tantrum emails pro-gun people are sending him now. If he takes them seriously, I don't see why he'd bother opposing gun control in the future since he's already lost your votes.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast