Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Question about LTCF at work

****Update****

A second meeting happened and was an investigatory meeting and shed some more light on what caused it. Someone at work had asked if the person had a LTCF bc there was a communal discussion on carrying in a break room off the clock between people that carry. It was mentioned that he had one and a few other people chimed in saying that they had one too and a bystander felt uncomfortable with the conversation and reported it. The line of questioning in the interview is what upset the union rep and the person being investigated bc it followed the lines of "do you own firearms", "do you have a carry permit", and "do you carry". The union will be taking action against the company and agree that the questions were completely out of line

Personally I am appalled because it is one thing if a threat has been made in any way shape or form, but there is no rational reason to ask a law abiding, good employee if they own, carry, and have a license to carry. None of those things affect the work place and we have strict security measures when you enter building that would prevent any firearms from entering the building anyway. What if he was just an avid hunter, collector, or a gun rights activist? I still maintain my stance that what he does with his firearms on his own time (i.e. carrying) has nothing to do with his job functions as long as no threats are made and it does not create an unsafe work environment. I think that the employee that reported it has every right to do so if they didn't like the conversation but the way the company handled it was appalling.

I will update as more comes to light.

‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’

— James Earl Jones

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Not sure why you posted this thread if you can't give all the details. Highly unlikely the company received the info about the LTCF from the sheriff. More likely the info was passed amongst co-workers and eventually got to mgt.

This pot is being stirred with very few ingredients.
    The details i'm leaving out for obvious reasons are the company name and name of the employees/supervisors. In my option those are not pertinent the situation.

‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’

— James Earl Jones

(Bucks County)

We have a No Weapons policy at work, and I know of at least 6-8 guys with LTCF's but that doesn't mean we are carrying at work. There have been times I wish I could, but I like my Job, my pay, and benefits. After 20 years, I would have a real issue if they approached me because someone was uncomfortable that i had a LTCF. BTW, FWIW, I am a Teamster. And I don't do the minimum amount of work to just keep my job, because I am a commissioned salesman. Hope your friend gets this cleared up.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by 00gt1 View Post
    The details i'm leaving out for obvious reasons are the company name and name of the employees/supervisors. In my option those are not pertinent the situation.

Those weren't the details I was referring to, and not necessary to this discussion.

Appreciate the update, and it seems as usual, some here jump to the conclusion that some government official was responsible, and violated the law. But then again, that happens all the time, government officials violating something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by 00gt1 View Post
    It was mentioned that he had one and a few other people chimed in saying that they had one too and a bystander felt uncomfortable with the conversation and reported it.
    I know a kid who was suspended for three days in middle school because she mentioned that she was a pretty good shot during a lunch room conversation. An adult bystander thought that the other children might have felt "threatened" and so it was reported to the principal. The other children were asked if they felt in any way threatened or uncomfortable and none did but the girl was suspended anyway.

She would have been better off telling about giving blow jobs on the school bus.

(Bucks County)

I got called to the school when my son was 6 or 7 (11-12 years ago) because another kid was giving him trouble and he was heard saying "I know how to shoot, so be nice." This was a week after I had taught him to shoot a .22 revolver. And yes, I told him to never make threats. Well, I was glad the principal was a good guy, and the other teacher there was too. We got out of there with a lecture, and he was in more trouble with me than the school.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12